Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interesting Spectrometer setup

jnrpop

Just wow :D
I knew the time would come. After searching around for options on USB spectrometers, i came across a company in Germany who are now making spectrometer units, adapted to fit the Raspberry pi developer boards. Therefore opening the lid on the consumer market, creating a universal developers tool.

Check it out - https://www.ebay.de/sch/dr_licht_gmbh/m.html?item=232503230603&hash=item362245c08b:g:mxQAAOSwI6RZy5qp&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

They even include on-board spectral calibration hardware, all the usual adaptable interface inputs and all the perks and specs of the raspberry pi :D You can attach a touchscreen interface, basically making this one of the most powerful portable spectrometers available at < $1000 🤤

attachment.php

J:beer:

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Just wow :D
I new the time would come. After searching around for options on USB spectrometers, i came across a company in Germany who are now making spectrometer units, adapted to fit the Raspberry pi developer boards. Therefore opening the lid on the consumer market, creating a universal developers tool.

Check it out - https://www.ebay.de/sch/dr_licht_gm...mxQAAOSwI6RZy5qp&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

They even include on-board spectral calibration hardware, all the usual adaptable interface inputs and all the perks and specs of the raspberry pi :D You can attach a touchscreen interface, basically making this one of the most powerful portable spectrometers available at < $1000 :drool:

attachment.php

J:beer:

Hi,
Thank you for the information, but can you tell us what sensor - detector it has inside?
for that price, we need a serious detector, like the ILX511 or a Hamamatsu , Toshiba ...
Please, let us know if you have the information
C

jnrpop

Hi,
Thank you for the information, but can you tell us what sensor - detector it has inside?
for that price, we need a serious detector, like the ILX511 or a Hamamatsu , Toshiba ...
Please, let us know if you have the information
C

Hi C, im not selling them, or advertising them :crackup:, just thought i'd provide the link to a piece of equipment i think is very remarkable. I guess we could send the seller a message asking what CCD/detector/sensor they are using, my gut feeling is they won't tell us....

Heres a link to thier site, you can also read the specifications they do provide for these units: Raspberry spegg © VIS22 | Dr. Licht GmbH

Last edited:
The specsheet claims an accuracy of <2nm (typ 1nm) and a resolution <10nm. That is a strange statement since the resolution can't be worse than the accuracy, or they define resolution in an unconventional way.

Nevertheless the device seems interesting if the accuracy meets one's needs. The price looks a bit to high though.

Singlemode

The specsheet claims an accuracy of <2nm (typ 1nm) and a resolution <10nm. That is a strange statement since the resolution can't be worse than the accuracy, or they define resolution in an unconventional way.

Nevertheless the device seems interesting if the accuracy meets one's needs. The price looks a bit to high though.

Singlemode

I got the answer from the manufacturer, they said :

in the speggVIS22 we use the CMOS Hamamatsu Sensor S8378.
Best regards
Michael

and

the speggVIS22 have 25o Pixel and not enough sensitive for Raman. The new speggUVVIS29 have 512 Pixel in the UV to NIR range and a much higer sensitive ( Hamamatsu S14013 Chip). Some customer use them for SERS. If you do not need a high resolution the spegg UVVIS 29 is the better chouice for your applikationen.
Best regards
Michael

Those are terrible specs for this overpriced device. A CMOS sensor with 512 pixels is embarrassingly bad for a new spectrometer offered for sale at nearly $1000.00. Even if it could give you a resolution of 2nm, and I don't believe it can across the spectrum they advertise, it is still overpriced for what you get.

jnrpop

I got the answer from the manufacturer, they said :

in the speggVIS22 we use the CMOS Hamamatsu Sensor S8378.
Best regards
Michael

and

the speggVIS22 have 25o Pixel and not enough sensitive for Raman. The new speggUVVIS29 have 512 Pixel in the UV to NIR range and a much higer sensitive ( Hamamatsu S14013 Chip). Some customer use them for SERS. If you do not need a high resolution the spegg UVVIS 29 is the better chouice for your applikationen.
Best regards
Michael

Appreciate you taking the time to ask them Civitus :beer:

I think they sacrificed sensor size for space, not sure why. And the optical path ( spegg board ) is the most expensive "fixed" part of the setup, so if you where to upgrade it when they release a more accurate board/version, then you would be handing over > $600 again, not really worth it.

@Paul, yes i guess now we are looking for a spectrometer with < ~0.5nm accuracy, especially with these 490nm diodes. Z is charging $30 more for 488.3nm compared to the 489.3nm diode, a difference of 1nm, we are getting very accurate and specific now :D How does that even work when different spectrometers have an accuracy of +/- 1-2nm :thinking:

Last edited:
They don't work. Mine has a resolution of 0.2nm and I check it against several excellent sources each and every time before I use it. I have been lucky as I haven't had to calibrate it again since around three+ years ago. It is still accurate to that resolution.

Those are terrible specs for this overpriced device. A CMOS sensor with 512 pixels is embarrassingly bad for a new spectrometer offered for sale at nearly $1000.00. Even if it could give you a resolution of 2nm, and I don't believe it can across the spectrum they advertise, it is still overpriced for what you get.
New Toy......:undecided:
I agree with you... At the quoted specs it
seems to be way overpriced at $1000... IMO

Jerry

...a piece of equipment i think is very remarkable.

one of the most powerful portable spectrometers available at < $1000 :drool:

Your praise and excitement is surprisingly disproportionate to your lack of specification knowledge. "Fallen for the marketing wank," as they say.

New age Spectrometer

Hmm...

New age: a broad movement characterized by alternative approaches to traditional Western culture, with an interest in spirituality, mysticism, holism, and environmentalism.

I guess that's not too far off. I'll take my WORKING spectrometer instead though, thanks :)

Last edited:

jnrpop

^ :crackup:

Its a sure bet at some point in time, there was a comment on how remarkable and "new age" your spectrometer was Cyparagon, and of course a person with a view point just like yours :beer:
Still great to see start-ups looking ahead, creating and taking the risks to continue innovating in this time. :D

You're missing both of my points. Firstly, you're using the term "new age" incorrectly.

Secondly, what do you think about the waterseer, solar roadways, and the Batteroo? Where do you draw the line between "innovation" and "fundamental misunderstanding of physics"? I'm not necessarily saying this product is the latter, only that you've jumped to the former without evaluating anything at all.

I'll add a third point. This is not a remarkable device. It is not a new device. It is not a high-end device. the only thing new here is someone interfaced a low-end optics train with a raspi. That's cool I guess. But people plug new things into raspis and arduinos every day, but they have the sense to not charge $1000 or write media campaigns and hire PR managers for something so mediocre.

What about the tide pod thing? What if I were to say to you "Still great to see start-ups looking ahead, creating and taking the risks to continue innovating in this time."? You would call me a lunatic, and rightfully so. New is not synonymous with innovative.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown".
-Carl Sagan

Last edited:

kecked

I like this idea for the B&W units. Was thinking to put it all in a box as a full spec with display. Would be nice to just strap an IPAD on top.