Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Infrared laser pointers?

Doesn't matter, what ever is real, is real, what we imagine and isn't, isn't. I have reason to think they exist and somehow found a way here, it would be very arrogant of us to think there isn't life out there in that big expanse which hasn't had more time to work on the distance problem and how to find a loop hole around the speed of light limitation.

Encap

OP says he wants to signal lights in clouds that are at 100ft up :crackup:

Last edited:
I will definitely post a thread in the welcome forum, just trying to get a feel for this board first. I live near Cincinnati, OH, Im pretty mechanically inclined, but have not worked with lasers or pointers before, I have a fair amount of electronics experience though.

Im planning an experiment, and actually needing an IR laser pointer and a regular laser pointer...let me explain what happened first...

About 3 months ago, I woke up overnight to go to the bathroom, it was raining and thunderstorming outside when I got up, before going back to bed I glanced out my bedroom window, and I noticed a light in the sky, as i looked closer, it was actually 3 separate lights that would all start from a center point, spread out, and then rotate in a clockwise rotation, then they would all re-start from the center again, I watched it do this numerous times over and over again, at first I thought it was some of those large advertising lights they shine up into the sky for special events, but this was at 4am and they were not coming from a source on the ground, whatever they were attached to, it was in the low clouds, but these lights were shining thru.

Ive seen this same thing about 4-5 times since then, always in the same general location, but at different times of the night, and only when there are dense cloud cover.

I talked to a few people I know about this, and someone suggested I try to signal it somehow, just to see what happens. the person I spoke to, claimed IR may be more effective, but I want to have both types on hand and try both.

I would be doing this from a 2nd floor window and Im estimating whatever the lights are attached to, it is roughly about 200-300ft up, sometimes lower, just depends on the cloud cover, Ive seen the lights as low as 100ft when conditions are right.

Ive never seen the outline of a craft or any part of something that tells me its a craft, but the lights are definitely in a pattern and they do move, so whatever they are attached to, is moving.

Thanks for all the help, I look forward to talking more on here.

Why... has he already communicated with the
lights in the sky ??

Gimme a Friggin break.....

facepalm-emoticon.png

Jerry

No ground lead to a copper stake 6' into the dirt, without it, the shielding is ineffective.

Why... has he already communicated with the
lights in the sky ??

Gimme a Friggin break.....

facepalm-emoticon.png

Jerry
No, it was actually just a suggestion based on his experience using IR to identify objects in the sky that are not visible in any other spectrum. Ive read a few other things online that suggest IR is significant/ effective in this regard.

Cloud conditions where the lights are 100ft are extremely rare around here, most of the time, the lights are around 300ft.

Im not sure what it is, If it was man made or military, I think I would see the red or white flashing indicator lights thru the clouds too, as well as hearing the engine noise, I may not have mentioned there was no engine sound with any of my sightings.

My ex-wifes nephew is a pilot in the Air Force, I messaged him about this on FB the other day and waiting to hear back about his opinion.

I bought a Luna Optics "night vision" HD digital camera which can see IR sources in a portion of the near infrared spectrum to be able to see my IR laser beam profiles and collimation. I'm interested in viewing IR with camera's just for that, but there are some weird things going on with IR in the night sky from time to time too, maybe someday I will catch something.

You'll catch a cold in Alaska...
Don't you smell something in the Cloudy,
Rainy, Thunderstormy night sky... :whistle:

Jerry

I remember that Rod Serling original show quite well. It ran for six years in the early 60s, but started in 59, IIRC. A lot of later movie stars and TV stars got their start there. I enjoyed seeing it in first runs. It was a one-of-a-kind TV show at that time.

I found an infrared laser on amazon, it looks like this is AC, though (standard wall plug). I realize its meant for lab/ testing, etc, but thats not what Im going to use it for.

This is the laser...https://www.amazon.com/Focusable-30...rd_wg=nudTU&psc=1&refRID=Q939T1MAHA4J03QMG2JT

Doe this look like it would work for my purposes? I think I may need a heatsink as it doesnt look like it has one.

It didnt mention, but a rough estimate, how far would this laser reach?