Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Infrared Filter

MOZAKI

hello
is this true?
does this means if i buy a laser its not really nessecary to have an ir filter equipped?

DONT WORRY ABOUT THE IR. THE GREEN IN THIS CASE IS WAY MORE DANGEROUS.

IR light is no more damaging than visible light... people seem to freak out so much over it. Worry about the green, not the IR.

This brings us to the next topic. Why are people so concerned with IR filters? Well, I'll tell you why.

People wanted IR filters so they knew EXACTLY how much green they were getting. Most people were using optical meters since thermal heads weren't within a good price range yet. When an optical meter is set to 532nm, even 1mW of 808 can skew the reading by 10's of milliwatts. So, people wanted IR filters to be able to know exactly what their laser was putting out.

Somewhere along the lines this got skewed in to a wacky safety issue and was just potentiated as the forums grew, because newer members would stress the need for an IR filter without knowing the reasons behind it.

Bottom line, again, worry about the green.

Zeebit

Most cheap lasers do not have ir filters but some quality lasers from trusted manufacturer have ir filters especially high powered lasers which use powerful IR pump diodes.

Last edited:

MOZAKI

yes thanks i know
but that wasnt really the question

Last edited:
Way back when that post was posted the 532nm DPSS Lasers
that were available were not high powered.

Today we can get a 1watt 532nm DPSS Laser and if it did not
have an IR Filter it would put out ~10-20% IR. That would be
100mW to 200mW of invisible Laser radiation. Enough to cause
eye damage without you knowing.

A 1 Watt 523nm DPSS Laser would be using a 5Watt 808nm
Laser to pump the crystals..

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

MOZAKI

ok
howmuch IR do you think will get exposured with a 300mW 532nm green laser if not equipped with a IR filter?
enough to cause damage to the eyes?

That would be hard to say and realy should be measured to find out, if you don't look into the beam you should not have to worry about it hurting your eyes.

The 300mW of green will get you first in any case.

It's hard to "Estimate" Your better off just measuring it, Or just get an IR filter for $3 and be done with..

Coby

Guys, he's wanting to buy my HL532 that I got in the Skylasers group buy. Does anyone remember if we got IR filters with those? Because I sure don't remember :p

Blord

Why don't you asked Skylasers about it ? I think the HL series don't have an IR filter unless you requested for one.

DrSid

IR is not only inside the dot .. it's also everywhere else. Sometimes it's nicely spread, and safe .. sometimes it can be focused tightly in rather powerful side beams. Best way to check this is to get some cheap web cam and remove its IR filter. With such camera you can see the IR pattern. And you can also get the IR filter and mod your laser with it (I did it).