Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Informal review - Eagle Pair 190-400&580-760nm

Hi all,

this is the final review in a backlog I've had for a while, this is for a pair of blue coloured (red/yellow blocking) Eagle Pair goggles I bought as I didn't have any cover in that side of the spectrum.

IMG_0651_zpse5b406c8.jpg
IMG_0648_zpse8f6c681.jpg

These are frameless like some of the orange eagle pairs, and are quite flimsy. Although I don't use them very much, I suspect they'll be my first pair of goggles to break, either from being stood on or just through use.

IMG_0647_zps4b58e868.jpg

These have a VLT of 30%, and will block most yellow and red lasers to a power level of OD4, survival laser say this is enough to make it safe to view the spot of a 10W laser.

These don't seem to dim down the dot of my Rigel as much as I expected, it's still quite visible, and my 80mW 650 still appears as a small red dot on the wall. However, having passed through the beam of the 650 I can personally verify that they do protect more than you'd think by looking at the dot.

Without further adieu, I'll post images of what the dot looks like with and without the glasses for all my wavelengths.

5935bare_zpsd1263ea3.jpg
5935blueeaglepair_zpsa2c7f19e.jpg

593.5nm without goggles (left) and with goggles (right).

650bare_zps72ce5447.jpg
650blueeaglepair_zps5676863f.jpg

650nm without goggles (left) and with goggles (right).

405bare_zps81d5f4dc.jpg
405blueeaglepair_zpsc97e526d.jpg

405nm without goggles (left) and with goggles (right). Although it doesn't look like it here, the intensity of 405 is reduced a few times by these goggles as it's close enough to the UV range they block. My everyday glasses also reduce the intensity of 405nm (probably due to the UV blocking component) but I wouldn't trust either of these to keep me safe from 405nm - this is just purely speculative.

445bare_zpsd218b37f.jpg
445blueeaglepair_zpsd1858185.jpg

445nm is unsurprisingly not blocked at all and is in fact arguably worse due to aberration and flaring.

532bare_zps31a5f1ec.jpg
532blueeaglepair_zps0f11eca3.jpg

The intensity of 532 is also not reduced any, however the overall darkening effect of these goggles does make it a little more pleasant to view the dot of a green laser when it's defocussed, and can perhaps make it easier to see the different modes.

So that about sums it up, these do offer protection in the specified ranges however they're flimsy and fragile and will probably break easy.

I also did a video summing up the protection levels, price and availability from survival laser and also repeated the tests available here. I don't particularly like this video and it came out very quiet, but I'll embed it anyway.

ru124t

Thank you very much for the review. I really need something in this spectrum as well so this is information I sorely needed.

Garoq

In response to the observation that these goggles are "flimsy", Eagle Pair asked me to post the following photos and information.

img_5292.jpg

img_5291.jpg

img_5290.jpg

The material (polycarbonate) used in the glasses and the frame is very durable and flexible, and to ensure the comfortable level and better user experience, we are trying to keep the overall weight as light as possible, which means we had to make the legs as thin as possible. It may be filmsy but it is nowhere near fragile. Just a few notes, do not try to bend the lens, or try to make a dead knot on the leg. Also do not try and clean the lens with alcohol solutions. If you need to clean it, just use a few drops of dishwasher liquid and wash it off.

That's interesting, however it's more a reference to the joint where the supporting arms meet the lens, it looks like it'd break off easily. However, I only recently learned about the true qualities of polycarbonate so they're probably not as flimsy even in this area as they look.