Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Individual Laser Diodes (8 colors?)

ayags

Hi,

I'm looking to build an interactive laser harp but instead of just one RGB laser controller, I would like each laser to be controlled individually with a diode, each a color of the rainbow, ideally 8 colors - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Light Blue, Blue, Purple, Pink (see attached renderings). I have already designed/ coded this as an interactive game in a prototype phase but now I want to make it much larger and spatial (
here is the prototype). The game is coded in MaxMSP and lights are controlled via Arduino, so now instead of the MIDI keyboard input, it will be individual laser diodes with DMX controlled RGB light outputs.

I'm a student so I have a minimal budget - looking to spend about £100 -£150 each, ideally 5V.

TLDR: I am in need a company that produces laser diodes at red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, blue, purple and pink (or as many of those as possible). They would all need to be controlled from an arduino, so its essential that whatever I buy is all the same brand and requires the same drivers etc. for easier set up. I sadly only have a short amount of time to do this (about 3-4 weeks) before my thesis project is due so building my own set up with different colors isn't really an option right now.

I know what I'm asking for is hard to find but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've looked into EL Wire and DMX controlled spot lights as well as options, if this isn't feasible (which is likely a possibility).

I am very new to lasers, so please be kind :) I have searched these forums top to bottom so I hope my question hasn't been answered.

Thanks!

Attachments

• circular plan 8.jpg
    circular plan 8.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 15
  • circular plan 7.jpg
    circular plan 7.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 14

You'd be best off going RGB / RG / GB / RB for a lot of the colors. Of the ones readily available, this is what you can get for cheap on ebay with 5V wall plug adapters well under your budget. I'm in the US so my figures are in USD. These 5 can be had for under $50 each.

Red - 635nm (632/640/650/660nm is also red)
Green - 520nm (get this over 532nm for power stability)
Light Blue - 488nm
Blue - 450nm
Violet - 405nm

Edit: I should say, most can be controlled via TTL

So that leaves you looking for Orange, Yellow and Pink. I would recommend RGB for all three of these... in case you're interested in seeing why:

Pink (megenta) - cannot be done. This can only be achieved as a combination of two wavelengths; usually 450nm blue (or 405nm violet) and 635nm red. Magenta is not a specific wavelength of light, but how our brain handles the combination of colors at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Orange (595-620nm) is only available through gas lasers (HeNe at extremely low/dim output power) $500+ range, or through 604nm, 607nm or 615nm DPSS $2,500+ range. Diodes only exist in proof of concept laboratory experiments.

Yellow (575nm-595nm) is only available through gas lasers (HeNe at extremely low/dim output power) $250+ range, or through a lucky find of a 575nm DPSS module that ran cheap last year that is no longer available ($100), 577nm DPSS ($5,000+), 589nm DPSS ($1,500+) or 593.5nm DPSS ($2,000+). Diodes only exist in proof of concept laboratory experiments.

Encap

All lasers are wavelengths not colors.
Color is not a physical property; it is merely the brain’s interpretation of different wavelengths of light. Color names are words/symbols for that brain activity.

As describe above---you will need to adapt your daydream to what exists and is easily available in the world of lasers as what you describe doesn't exist.

Search eBay for the wavelengths listed and see if any of it would suit your purpose.

Please make a Welcome thread in the Welcome sub-forum telling something about yourself.

Last edited:
Welcome to LPF :)
Yellow,Purple, Pink for this 3 colors go RGB you could also purchase a yellow diode the may go for ( $30,000+ If available ) RGB would be the easy way, Only for the pink diode you may have to wait maybe until 10/8/2219 :oops:

As Zach stated, pink is only possible as a combination of lasers. You need white with a bit of red added to get pink. That would take an RGB laser. No yellow direct diodes available to us, so all would be solid state or HeNe if you can find one. I have a yellow that cost me $65.00 new, but those deals are long gone now.

Keep in mind the brilliance of different wavelengths to the eye vary, for example, violet will require about 100 times more power than green, to appear as bright as the same amount of power of green. For blue or red, depending upon how far into the blue spectrum towards violet, or how far into the red spectrum towards deep red before infrared, can require close to 7-16 times or more power to look as bright as green at the same power. i.e. 650 nm red and 450 nm blue.

See: https://slickscreen.github.io/laser-tools/brightness

All lasers are wavelengths not colors.
Color is not a physical property; it is merely the brain’s interpretation of different wavelengths of light. Color names are words/symbols for that brain activity.

As describe above---you will need to adapt your daydream to what exists and is easily available in the world of lasers as what you describe doesn't exist.

Search eBay for the wavelengths listed and see if any of it would suit your purpose.

Please make a Welcome thread in the Welcome sub-forum telling something about yourself.
ENCAP has it correct--- The 'Intro' needs to be placed in WELCOME/Newcomers section AND your (general) location MUST be in the threaD title AND you need to finish yr personal profile (w/ yr location.

I think you will agree that it is good manners to intro yrself BEFORE asking for free help..

Members near you might offer hands-on help and every member w/ a LPM will measure the power of all your lasers free./

No crystal balls here so.. you need to do yr part.

LPF is not one of those places where it is a bad idea to give out much personal info.
ALSO you will never get invited to a LEM if we do not know where you are-comprende?

South Eastern (SELEM) LEM is held in Aug in Newton NC-- no doubt SELEM is the best and biggers & longest LEM of all LEMs.

I missed a few after making 5 in a row-- planning NOW to make SELEM 2020-- hope to meet you there!!!
Len

ayags

Thank you so much for this in-depth response. I think I am going to try and get sponsored by LaserWorld or just bite the bullet and make a large investment in myself for 8 RGB DMX controlled lasers (specifically the LaserWorld EL-230 RGB. I tried searching on ebay but most of the sellers were either from China (so long lead times and expensive shipping) or unable to do large orders (as I need 8). As much as I would love to do just the 5 individually and then do the RGB for the yellow, orange and pinks, it would just be a lot extra work (and potential different look) to have some from different brands so its important to me that they all remain the same brand and have short lead times.

Also, excuse my ignorance but what's TTL?

Thanks again for this really thorough response. Much appreciated!

Alex

You'd be best off going RGB / RG / GB / RB for a lot of the colors. Of the ones readily available, this is what you can get for cheap on ebay with 5V wall plug adapters well under your budget. I'm in the US so my figures are in USD. These 5 can be had for under $50 each.

Red - 635nm (632/640/650/660nm is also red)
Green - 520nm (get this over 532nm for power stability)
Light Blue - 488nm
Blue - 450nm
Violet - 405nm

Edit: I should say, most can be controlled via TTL

So that leaves you looking for Orange, Yellow and Pink. I would recommend RGB for all three of these... in case you're interested in seeing why:

Pink (megenta) - cannot be done. This can only be achieved as a combination of two wavelengths; usually 450nm blue (or 405nm violet) and 635nm red. Magenta is not a specific wavelength of light, but how our brain handles the combination of colors at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Orange (595-620nm) is only available through gas lasers (HeNe at extremely low/dim output power) $500+ range, or through 604nm, 607nm or 615nm DPSS $2,500+ range. Diodes only exist in proof of concept laboratory experiments.

Yellow (575nm-595nm) is only available through gas lasers (HeNe at extremely low/dim output power) $250+ range, or through a lucky find of a 575nm DPSS module that ran cheap last year that is no longer available ($100), 577nm DPSS ($5,000+), 589nm DPSS ($1,500+) or 593.5nm DPSS ($2,000+). Diodes only exist in proof of concept laboratory experiments.

ayags

Hi there, thanks for your response!

Will the power be different if all 8 are RGB?

Keep in mind the brilliance of different wavelengths to the eye vary, for example, violet will require about 100 times more power than green, to appear as bright as the same amount of power of green. For blue or red, depending upon how far into the blue spectrum towards violet, or how far into the red spectrum towards deep red before infrared, can require close to 7-16 times or more power to look as bright as green at the same power. i.e. 650 nm red and 450 nm blue.

See: https://slickscreen.github.io/laser-tools/brightness

ayags

I apologize for not introducing myself properly first, not sure where I missed that on these forums (they are a bit dense to a new-comer so bare with me please). I have since posted an introductory welcome post with a bit about myself. But TLDR: I'm based in London (although I am originally from New York) so I'm not sure if there are UK peoples on this forum but if there are, I'd be thrilled to get chatting with them!

Thanks!

ENCAP has it correct--- The 'Intro' needs to be placed in WELCOME/Newcomers section AND your (general) location MUST be in the threaD title AND you need to finish yr personal profile (w/ yr location.

I think you will agree that it is good manners to intro yrself BEFORE asking for free help..

Members near you might offer hands-on help and every member w/ a LPM will measure the power of all your lasers free./

No crystal balls here so.. you need to do yr part.

LPF is not one of those places where it is a bad idea to give out much personal info.
ALSO you will never get invited to a LEM if we do not know where you are-comprende?

South Eastern (SELEM) LEM is held in Aug in Newton NC-- no doubt SELEM is the best and biggers & longest LEM of all LEMs.

I missed a few after making 5 in a row-- planning NOW to make SELEM 2020-- hope to meet you there!!!
Len

jnrpop

Hi ayags

Just a thought, you could try 8 of these units from Techhood. They are in most cases easy to deal with, for a chinese company, and i wait only 10-15days usually to recieve an order to Europe, not sure on your location though.

Heres a link :https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-400mW-...875837?hash=item2149ab2d7d:g:zfIAAOSwj0RbA8P7

They have different models, if your after a more powerful combined output, NOTE that if the combined output is in this example 400mW, if you tune the unit to output an individual wavelenght, eg. green, the output will be much lower, 50mW for say as that is the power of that Laser Diode in the combined unit.

Good luck and all the best with your project!

J

O....ive just seen your in London, Try this UK based company:
J