Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Improper Connections between ElectricPlasma Host and NDG7475?

Upon further examination, I have found that my cheap cen-tech multimeter does not have a buzzer, let alone a proper continuity testing function. Maybe I did it wrong the first time? With my current multimeter, I'm thinking that I have to either set it to the 2000k ohm section or use what appears to be some sort of diode test function. I'm having doubts right now that the switch is bad, as the laser did turn on earlier when I was inserting the cap, but then it turned off again. I tested it after to make sure nothing catastrophic happened, and I found that I was safe. But the frustrating part is that I cannot replicate how I made it turn on with the switch earlier! I've run out of time for the weekend but as long as I know it works, I'll keep troubleshooting. Thanks everyone!

Regardless of the way your multimeter works, I thought the clip lead showed the problem to be in the tail cap where the switch resides. If you added a spring to the switch contact to make a good connection to the battery with the switch and it still doesn't work, that implies the switch is bad. The mulitmeter is redundant at this point. A switch can become intermittent before failing altogether. Switches do fail and from everything I've seen here, it would be my best guess at this point.

Last edited:
That's part of the reason why I was confused, but I guess the whole intermittent part makes a lot of sense. I just want to exhaust all of the possibilities before making the call is all.

There is little doubt that the problem is the switch. I would PM ElectricPlasma and ask him how to deal with this as it is his host and he should know more about it than anyone else.

Yea, we've been PMing. I've not yet had a switch fail on any of my hosts, but what usually comes close as seen a couple times are the switch connections, whether it be to the tail cap or to the batteries. I'm hoping the problem is the connections and not the switch because then it can be fixed from there, otherwise if it is in fact the switch it will have to be sent back to be replaced.

Too bad I don't have it. I could tell in a heart beat. Nothing could be more simple. But, I am no where near Minnesota. I have seen switches fail on hosts, though. My first MS Envy had a bad switch. I have also had some flashlight builds with switch failures. IDK.

Last edited:
So I just tried it again, this time by attaching some wires to both terminals on the switch. I attached one from the switch to the negative end of the battery, and another to the switch's other terminal, with the other end of the wire touching the rim of the main host body. Then that means I must have done something wrong earlier, right? It has to be one of the connections. Now that I'm aligning it in different ways before the tail cap is fully inserted into the main body, I'm certain that I goofed earlier and it's just a connection problem. The only things I can think of are either the tail cap isn't making a good connection for some reason, or the switch isn't making proper contact with the battery, but then it should've worked earlier with the spring.

Now that I've messed with it a little more, I've got it in a position where the laser is on when I insert the switch almost fully, but then I can't turn it off via the switch.

I am currently out of ideas. I have no idea what you are doing. If I can't see it in my mind's eye, I can't help.

Sorry to be so confusing Paul, honestly at first I had very little idea of what I was doing myself. All of your previous advice has been helpful to me, and even though you are unable to help me in the current situation, thanks for all the help before, and for trying.

Alright! Thanks to everyone who helped me out here on this thread! I've fixed the problem, and the laser is working smoothly now. It turns out that the terminal connecting the switch to the tail cap was making a not-so-great connection, but very subtly. I used some of the wire I took off of the modules purchased from DTR, and then soldered it to the tail cap's rim and the terminal itself, and that did it!

That was a very early guess of mine. I thought you had eliminated it yesterday. Well, at least it is fixed.

Last edited:
I thought so too. But I guess I was sloppy the first time around. Nonetheless, now that the problem is solved, all is well. Thanks again Paul!