Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm looking for input on host designs.

Rivem

Edit: See my recent post for another question.

I'll be starting on some host designs in the next few weeks, so I figured I'd ask for some input from the community before starting.

Keep in mind this would be a prefabricated host and not a made to order custom host.

Here are the questions:
  1. What button configurations do you prefer? (Side button, tailcap, slider, twist, trigger, keyed, lighted, etc.)
  2. What power levels are you more likely to buy a host for?
  3. What material preferences do you have? (Limited to copper, aluminum, steel, and brass)
  4. What sorts of surface treatments would you want?
  5. What battery configurations would you want to use in a custom build?
  6. What form factors and sizes are your favorites?

Separately, how interested would you be in a more rectangular host instead of a circular one? Think more of a TV Remote shape instead of the typical tube shape.

Last edited:

here is my 2 cents and likes/dislikes.

I would love to see more led backlit switches especially side clicky's. I do not like side momentary buttons and would go as far to say they can be dangerous when the buttons only require a very light press.
Copper is beautiful but tarnishes easily. Ive always wondered about anodizing them to keep there brilliant polish and not make your hands smell after holding them.
I prefer not overly lengthy hosts so Im not a big fan of 2x 18650 hosts.
I like a heavy host. My main dislike of great looking hosts such as the Kryton grooves is theyre very light weight.
I think hosts with greater heat sinking abilities is always a good option and it would be nice to have the option of direct press as well as module fit would be nice.
I wish there were more white powder coated hosts available. They look so clean and go great with the colors of wl's. Also would like to see more matte finishes.
I like CNI's safety shudders. I think they are the easiest way to keep the len's particle free and clean. Or a nice fitting ascetically pleasing dust cap.
I like having two tail caps with each host a keyed version and non keyed.
Do not like delay features and could make an argument that they are in fact more dangerous than instant on.

Hope that helps we really need a new host fabricator! Thank you!

I'll be starting on some host designs in the next few weeks, so I figured I'd ask for some input from the community before starting.

Keep in mind this would be a prefabricated host and not a made to order custom host.

Here are the questions:
  1. What button configurations do you prefer? (Side button, tailcap, slider, twist, trigger, keyed, lighted, etc.)
  3. What material preferences do you have? (Limited to copper, aluminum, steel, and brass)

Separately, how interested would you be in a more rectangular host instead of a circular one? Think more of a TV Remote shape instead of the typical tube shape.

Oh boy, interesting stuff here!

Q:What button configurations do you prefer? (Side button, tailcap, slider, twist, trigger, keyed, lighted, etc.)
A: I find that side buttons feel most satisfying, and a key socket is always a professional feeling. Tailcap buttons are also nice, as long as they match the host. e.g. metal host, metal button. Like Sanwu designs theirs.

Q:What power levels are you more likely to buy a host for?
A: Personally, 3W-6W as I've climbed pretty high up on the ladder already.

Q:What material preferences do you have? (Limited to copper, aluminum, steel, and brass)
A: A shame you're limited, some mixed alloys are cool to work with and feel badass. But from the choices, aluminum would be my most preferred but copper is always a good option.

Q:What sorts of surface treatments would you want?
A: Definitely some polishing, and a protective coating of some sort (scratch resistant or anything similar) would be a great add-on, I have yet to see such a protective layer on a host.

Q:What battery configurations would you want to use in a custom build?
A: I like long hosts as long as they're not too thick, so 2*18650s for me. This is very dependant on the design of the host though; if it has a heat-sync head then this option is probably not a very good idea. This kind of relates to the power levels question, as it does depend on that a little.

Q: What form factors and sizes are your favorites?
A: Simplistic designs. I'm not a big fan of "art" on the body of the host, Ehgemus did that a couple times with a host or two. A smooth surface to me is ideal along with any indentations where applicable, for example the head of a host:

IMG_2727LPF_zpsed0ece51.jpg

Notice the head (heatsink) has notches, I like that design feature a lot. Small things like that that add up to the quality of the host. Also when it comes to high-power hosts, I do like the shape of the host in the image above, the standard heatsink+handle. Very typical, but easily improved versions have yet to be invented and designed.

Sizing; Something that fits in anyone's hand, obviously. A nice weight is definitely a nice feeling and gives the thought of quality, something heavy and dense feels like there's a lot going into it. This is pretty basic, nothing oversize but not too small either. As per length to width ratio, that's up to the designer to establish ;)

I would definitely be open to a rectangular host, that would be quite unique and interesting. It would take a lot of original work to create though, as I've never seen a rectangular host aside from project box builds. Also a lot of thought should be put into the design to make it appealing.

Be sure to update, I'm very interested in the results! :)

EDIT: Important point olympus made! I'd also love to see more backlit switches, I would kill to have those integrated into hosts again!

Last edited:

Rivem

Thanks for the input olympus mons and ElectricPlasma. You've given me a lot of good stuff to work off of.

On the surface treatments:
I can do most of the usuals, but there are two more uncommon ones I'd like input on.
I could chrome hosts for a very nice, hard finish.
Also, I could temper color steel hosts. See the picture for the colors.

Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.JPG

Here are the questions:

1: I prefer a tailcap switch that must be turned on first, and then a side momentary switch. I like when the side switch is lighted, especially if it's a color other than blue.

2: I'm more likely to buy a host for 2W+ lasers, I can usually make or buy a cheaper host for my lower powered lasers. Unless I'm going for a really nice styled one, but that will probably be rare cause I have little cash to spend freely. At the moment anyways

3: I like the looks of aluminum and copper combined, but I also like the thick heavy feel of stainless steel. Not a fan of brass.

4: I like to have either a black, or just plain old polished surface on my lasers. I don't care much for colorful hosts.

5: I really like using the 18650 batteries because they're rechargeable. I like to be able to use 2 of them with a larger laser.

6: I like when the heat sink is larger that the handle of the host, but I also like when, on less powerful lasers, the handle and heat sink blend together well. I'm also a fan of larger hosts in general.

I like the idea of more round or triangular kind of hosts. I don't much like square or rectangular hosts.

It would be interesting if you came up with some unusual hosts though. I like to see when people let their imaginations run wild :)

Last edited:
If you found a good way to make an add on for cylindrical lenses, that would be killer. a design that allows the removal of these for max power up close burning , I'd love.

I was thinking if the focus knob was flush with the edge of the heatsink, cut into the sides of both, forming grooves that could be used to mount the add on optics by sliding into the grooves. it would lock the lens in position for the optics, but still allow removal and fast focusing, that way you dont have to lock in the focus all the time for the optics if you want to remove them. downside is if a new diode is mounted, it's orientation will need to be payed attention to or it would no longer align with the grooves and optics correctly

hope that made sense, dont want to draw a picture

Rivem

If you found a good way to make an add on for cylindrical lenses, that would be killer. a design that allows the removal of these for max power up close burning , I'd love.

I was thinking if the focus knob was flush with the edge of the heatsink, cut into the sides of both, forming grooves that could be used to mount the add on optics by sliding into the grooves. it would lock the lens in position for the optics, but still allow removal and fast focusing, that way you dont have to lock in the focus all the time for the optics if you want to remove them. downside is if a new diode is mounted, it's orientation will need to be payed attention to or it would no longer align with the grooves and optics correctly

hope that made sense, dont want to draw a picture

I think I get what you're saying, and I think it's doable. I'd have to put more mechanical parts into a design like this though, so I'll have to put it on the backburner. The goal right now is to mainly come up with hosts for modules and a direct press for standard 9mm lens barrels. I'll see if I can come up with something for cylindrical lens pairs later though. Thanks for the great suggestion.

You should also make a choice for DTR's 12mm modules!!! Along with a lot of other people, I use his modules instead of direct press!

You should also make a choice for DTR's 12mm modules!!! Along with a lot of other people, I use his modules instead of direct press!

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever be really comfortable with a direct press host. I love how DTR's modules work with the diodes. It just feels easier and a bit more safe for the diode. IMO anyways.

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever be really comfortable with a direct press host. I love how DTR's modules work with the diodes. It just feels easier and a bit more safe for the diode. IMO anyways.

My thoughts exactly! DTR definitely gets my money's worth, especially with the driver and diode all heatsynced in one module. +rep!

Rivem

There's obviously going to be an option for the standard 12mm modules. I'm even thinking of one for the 35mm module.

The direct press is for very high power heatsinking though. It's still going to be modular so that you can remove the diode assembly. It'll be for 9mm and c-mount diodes with an interchangeable diode mount.

Were you thinking of replicating some hosts that have already been seen here, or going for your own brand of look? Would you think of doing something a little different than the standard handheld, like maybe some science fiction like devices? I think some video game based designs could be a big hit.

Call of Duty Ray Gun: http://imgur.com/Gcg2n6d

Star Trek Phaser: http://imgur.com/h0zGuv1

Dead Space "Plasma Cutter": http://imgur.com/j9CXV5c

Han Solo's Blaster: http://imgur.com/e2uoONe

There are lots of other unconventional ideas out there too like laser rings and such. I just like when the imagination runs a little wild, and see what comes of it.

Last edited:

Rivem

Were you thinking of replicating some hosts that have already been seen here, or going for your own brand of look? Would you think of doing something a little different than the standard handheld, like maybe some science fiction like devices? I think some video game based designs could be a big hit.

Call of Duty Ray Gun: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Star Trek Phaser: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Dead Space "Plasma Cutter": Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Han Solo's Blaster: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

There are lots of other unconventional ideas out there too like laser rings and such. I just like when the imagination runs a little wild, and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going more for my own designs, so they should all be a bit unique. I'd love to make some cool replicas, but I don't think I've got the equipment to do them right. I might be able to build a gun style host if there's a demand though.

There's also this host that a member posted, I thought it looked really cool http://laserpointerforums.com/f72/gun-type-host-97034.html

I saw that one, and I could probably make one like it if there's an interest.

Rivem

Okay guys, I've come up with a follow up question on the rectangular host:

What size/shape would be best? I could make anything from a flat shape like most small device remotes to a completely square shape. I could even make something more ergonomic. If you've got something in mind for the shape, I'd appreciate a photo.

Okay guys, I've come up with a follow up question on the rectangular host:

What size/shape would be best? I could make anything from a flat shape like most small device remotes to a completely square shape. I could even make something more ergonomic. If you've got something in mind for the shape, I'd appreciate a photo.

This triggered my mind into exactly thinking of a project I have up on a while ago. Kind of a weird feeling actually.

Don't mind the button and cutout and such, just take a look at the shape lol. The grips on the side are rubber as well. Feels great in my hand.

Also: That's a USB recharge circuit with a 10440 hooked into it!

dq0guo.jpg

hss8dd.jpg

33m5sw0.jpg

b67aip.jpg