Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm looking for a certain good laser pointer...

Re: I'm looking for a certain good laser pointer..

Shooey said:
So for my standards... Which one would be better to buy?

http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=908
along with...
http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=926

Or just get this...

http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=928

Note that I really dunno what to look at when looking at specs.... I know that red one can burn, but one those greens I dunno a thing. But from what I can make out, it seems like they're both the same for the most part? I'm using the green for pointing, and the red for burning by the way in the first combo. I don't even know if the second one will burn.

All three of those will be up to spec, the greens probably over. The 40-50mW greens will have a VERY visable beam at night, although the 80mW is a bit brighter, 40 is still plenty.

Shooey

So the $75 green one would also burn?

Shooey

Would the ones from O-Like be legal in the United States?

I'm from Clearwater, nice to see another LPFer in FL! In order to be legal in the U.S., a laser must have certain safety features according to the FDA. These include:
1. Aperture shutter - something to block the laser opening.
2. Safety key - Has to be inserted and turned to turn on the laser. Kinda like starting your car lol.
3. A safety dongle thingy - It's like a plug that has to be inserted into the laser to complete the circuit.
4. Activity LED - LED must light when laser is active.
If the laser doesn't have these safety features it is technically illegal in the US, unless it is under 5mw.
Note that this is only true for laser pointers and does not include lab style units. But you will most likely be able to get the laser through U.S. customs no problem. I've already shipped two lasers here that didn't have all the features. No problems on either one.
Hope this helps!

Jaseth

For about $70 you can have a burning red and very visible green.
As others have mentioned, the 200mW red is a crazy burner for very little money. O-like has the best offer on that one as it comes with a charger and batteries, but if you want it to run even better, you can buy 3.6V CR2s. In this case DX is a better place to get the laser as it comes slightly cheaper but without the batteries and charger. Note however that DX do not ship >5mW to the USA.
My "Dilda", as we call these reds, was doing 189mW on the recommended 3V CR2s but shot up to an amazing average of 242mW when I put 3.6V CR2s in. This will obviously shorten the diode life, but so far I have heard of people running it regularly at over 280mW without it dying (yet). This laser is basically a must for any laser enthusiast and will fill any burning task you want to do, unless you are Dr Evil. Muhahahahahahaha
As for the greenie, the best for the price, as far as my experience goes, is the 50mW LEDshoppe. I also have the DX True 50mW and the ledshoppe ones are more stable and more powerful, as well as being shipped to the USA. Even if your ledshoppe doesn't come overspec as mine did, 50mW is extremely visible. You can see the beam a bit indoors and VERY clearly outside in the evening/night. Note that [highlight]no[/highlight] known handheld laser is visible outside on a bright day.
The ledshoppe greenie is more expensive, but there are discount coupons linked in a ledshoppe thread somewhere on LPF.

At O-like you pay [highlight]$45.99[/highlight] for the 200mW Red and you get batteries + charger - http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=926
At DealExtreme you pay [highlight]$40.93[/highlight] for the 200mW Red without extras - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11315
At LEDshoppe you pay [highlight]$24.99[/highlight] for the 50mW Green - http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1076.htm
At DealExtreme you pay [highlight]$20.90[/highlight] for the 50mW Green - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1371

This is advice based purely on my own small amount of experience, but I would go with O-like and LEDshoppe.
I hope you save enough money to buy your laser(s) and that you enjoy them as much as I enjoy all mine!
Stay safe.
Seb ;D :D:D:D ;D

Jaseth

Shooey said:
So I decided to take a risk and just buy off amazon. My friend had suggested it because it's where he got his lasers from.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Pointer...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1239421093&sr=8-1

Do you think that this laser will do as good as an O-like one? At least O-like? I don't want to get this to find out it's more like a 30mW...
Why would you do that? Look at the reviews for the laser..
"The one I bought only outputs 10.3 mW"
"The 50mW claim is grossly overstated"
"it only measured 18mW"

I and several other people have given you good advice, yet you completely disregard it and want to buy something of TERRIBLE quality for MORE money. I just don't get people sometimes. There is no way this will even come close to the quality of O-like. Not close to DX True or Ledshoppe either.
Why would you listen to a friend rather than people who have been dealing with lasers for years? I myself have only been into them for a few months, but it only took a couple of days to figure out that amazon and ebay laser pointers should be ignored.

Shooey

Jaseth said:
[quote author=Shooey link=1238893343/0#22 date=1239583217]So I decided to take a risk and just buy off amazon. My friend had suggested it because it's where he got his lasers from.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Pointer...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1239421093&sr=8-1

Do you think that this laser will do as good as an O-like one? At least O-like? I don't want to get this to find out it's more like a 30mW...
Why would you do that? Look at the reviews for the laser..
"The one I bought only outputs 10.3 mW"
"The 50mW claim is grossly overstated"
"it only measured 18mW"

I and several other people have given you good advice, yet you completely disregard it and want to buy something of TERRIBLE quality for MORE money. I just don't get people sometimes. There is no way this will even come close to the quality of O-like. Not close to DX True or Ledshoppe either.
Why would you listen to a friend rather than people who have been dealing with lasers for years? I myself have only been into them for a few months, but it only took a couple of days to figure out that amazon and ebay laser pointers should be ignored.[/quote]

Well, I took the time... and I actually looked through all the other reviews... and they don't all seem to be putting it down. Actually, only a few do. Maybe they got crap ones, I dunno. My friends laser seemed to be what I was looking for in a green laser (I don't need the green one to burn; just be a bright green laser) and if this one is anything like his, then I'll be satisfied. He was satisfied with his, said it what he wanted. I'm only going to be using the thing to play with anyway. I mean I hope I get one of the ones that are supported on these reviews, but if I don't I can live with it. Good point anyway, I'll buy from O-like and others (except DX sadly) from now on.

Jaseth

Shooey said:
Well, I took the time... and I actually looked through all the other reviews... and they don't all seem to be putting it down. Actually, only a few do. Maybe they got crap ones, I dunno. My friends laser seemed to be what I was looking for in a green laser (I don't need the green one to burn; just be a bright green laser) and if this one is anything like his, then I'll be satisfied. He was satisfied with his, said it what he wanted. I'm only going to be using the thing to play with anyway. I mean I hope I get one of the ones that are supported on these reviews, but if I don't I can live with it.  Good point anyway, I'll buy from O-like and others (except DX sadly) from now on.

Sadly, the good reviews are probably all from people like you and your friend.. who will be satisfied with much less than you are promised because you don't know you are being scammed and have no way of metering the laser or comparing it to others. I really really hope you get a good unit which will serve you well.
However I would recommend you to follow advice from people here on the forum in future.. The laser might be as good as you expect, but why not get better than expected, and at a lower price? ;) Unlike many other places, we are here to help if you need it, and not just to make a profit.