Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm back.

Well it's been nearly a year since I was last posting anything significant on the forum.

Anyways... I just came back from a trip to Quadra Island. Geologically it is very unusual. Several localities on the island are rich in Copper, Iron, Antimony and Tellurium. I went to several spots, one in particular that was a past producer of Silver and Gold... The Lucky Jim mine. Rummaging around the tailing dump and the nearby cliffs I came across limestone with a dark vein running through through the middle of it. on the ground I saw a pretty large boulder that had fallen off the same cliff face. I took a pick to it. Upon careful examination I have confirmed the vein as a Sylvanite. The samples I collected also have native copper values, as well as patchy Tetradymite, a Bismuth Telluride. I managed to get quite a bit of this. A couple of Kg's worth.

In another location I attempted to go find the Senator, Radium deposit... This proved impossible as many of the trails look like they have been either washed out or in poor condition.

I brought my plastic scintillation detector plugged into my Bicron Surveyor MS, and got up to a about a km away from the marked deposit. The survey meter registered 300CPM, pretty standard background, until I got to some vanadium values in some of the basaltic layers closer to a sheared off cliff face. The counter shot up to 750CPM confirming trace amounts of carnotite. Again, I got a sample of this. It's not spectacular but it does have other interesting minerals associate with it. More details coming later.

Going to the Okanagan to find some newly documented Uraniferous deposits marked on minfile this coming Friday-Monday, including some black Monazite bearing sands in Lytton.

Should be interesting.

IMG_4558.jpg
disseminated Sylvanite in limestone with Tetradymite

IMG_4568.jpg

Vanadium bearing host rock (Basaltic) with very minute - trace amounts of Carnotite.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome back, Seoul!
Nice finds, let me know when you find the gold and silver. ;);)

Great to see you posting again. This used to be right up my alley as I was a rock hound as a kid. I found all sorts of great specimens all over the US. Never got a chance to go outside the country in those years. Good luck and I look forward to your further posts.

Just got back last week from going to the Okanagan. My wife and Sister in law wanted to go to several wineries and swimming locations. Between localities I used my scintillation detector to go look for uranium and thorium hotspots . I was successful this trip and also discovered a locatity next to the roadway ~11.7Km North of Lytton that has VERY strong Uranium mineralization in the form of MetaZeurenite, a rather unusual Copper Uranyl Arsenate and some Thorium (Thorianite and Thorite) occurring closer to the river's edge. Along with the Uranium mineralization is a significant quantity of Cinnabar that seems to occur in with calcite. This entire location is a treasure trove for mineral hunting. Also worth noting is gold and Platinum values as well thorium rich black sands which seem to occur all over the area ( along the Thompson River).

If you are interested I will post my trip details here.

Being an old rock hound from years ago I am always interested in hearing about any mineral deposits you found and where. Never actually got into looking for radioactive deposits, but all the other stuff is interesting to me. (y)