Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Illegal? Multiple laser pointer bundled weapon

You would be better off using pepper spray than a bundle of pointers. Most of the cheapie pointers are over 5 mw and you would more than likely get sued for blinding your mugger.
Just imagine someone is getting ready to attack you and trying to pull out your bundle of lasers "excuse me while I whip this out" :crackup:

Last edited:

^ Take it from an old gunfighter.

Hey Mike, what happened to your avatar?

Tasers are equally some of the most stupid tools for self-defense you can purchase. Chances are you're not going to blow $30 per cartridge practicing its single shot firing, so you're trusting that you can actually grab your taser off your belt (yeah, you keep a taser on your belt), aim and hit a moving target with a single-shot, poor-grip, short range disabler. Even assuming you manage to hit the guy rather than the floor, what do you do about his partner in crime? At least with pepper spray you can keep spraying, or with a bat, keep hitting, but a taser? You're sunk. It's like fighting with a 17th century flint-lock pistol.

There's zero point to a taser outside of law enforcement. Get the proper permits, buy a real gun, learn to use it properly and responsibly, and you're set.

^^ yeah I am not much for tasers, I wonder if it's raining really hard and you use a taser if you can get zapped as well?

Your chances are better with pepper spray, at least you get more than 1 shot. As for me I prefer a gun and it is very easy to get a CCP.

I think with tasers the electricity takes the shortest path. I've seen demonstrations where the volunteer is supported by a guy on each arm to keep him from hitting the ground too hard. The guys doing the holding are totally unaffected.

utah cfp ftw!

Last edited:

Molo

Believe it or not a lot of dangerous self defense situations have to do with an aggressor that's not actually armed with a gun. I.E. someone you had an altercation with and wants to kick your ass or a mugger (don't know correct term) that is not actually armed with a gun of any sort. Now I don't condone this laser defense idea(interesting and novel idea it may be), but is it really shoot em dead or nothing? I agree most tasers are inaccurate but there are plenty of instances where non-lethal self defense could be used effectively.

Now about the suing. If it actually blinded them and they wanted to sue you they would have to report the incident. If they actually were able to remember what you looked like accurately they would first have to find out your identity (unless the composite sketch was good enough for the police to find you with it alone, and they never are) then prove it was you who caused the harm and if they actually were able to accomplish such a task they would probably end up getting themselves charged with something themselves and being put away for a while. I doubt most criminals are willing to risk such a high chance of themselves being put behind bars.

Lase

Rather than having a bundle of inefficient lasers (for this application) why not just build your own Dazzler? It's rather easy (if you know how to control an Adurino).

I'll provide a link to some simple instructions if anyone wants. At my discretion of course :whistle:

Lase

In the USA, if you are afraid of being assaulted, you should get a gun, that's the most logical path to take.
In countries where you are not allowed to legally carry a gun, I would guess one of those super-torchlights (multiple high powered LEDs) should do the job for flashblinding someone so you can get away?

Believe it or not a lot of dangerous self defense situations have to do with an aggressor that's not actually armed with a gun. I.E. someone you had an altercation with and wants to kick your ass or a mugger (don't know correct term) that is not actually armed with a gun of any sort. Now I don't condone this laser defense idea(interesting and novel idea it may be), but is it really shoot em dead or nothing? I agree most tasers are inaccurate but there are plenty of instances where non-lethal self defense could be used effectively.

You'd be better off with a whistle or something to attract attention then. Carrying mace, or growing muscles, or even a knife would help. In the end, you'll want something that isn't some lame gizmo weapon that is untested, that you can't practice well with (like a taser), and carries more novelty value than utility (the laser-based blinder). Also you run a lot more chance of getting the law/lawsuits against your case if you're carrying some weird weapon/defense device that people might think you were looking for trouble to use.

In the end, quite frankly I'm not losing any sleep over dead muggers.

Now about the suing. If it actually blinded them and they wanted to sue you they would have to report the incident. If they actually were able to remember what you looked like accurately they would first have to find out your identity (unless the composite sketch was good enough for the police to find you with it alone, and they never are) then prove it was you who caused the harm and if they actually were able to accomplish such a task they would probably end up getting themselves charged with something themselves and being put away for a while. I doubt most criminals are willing to risk such a high chance of themselves being put behind bars.

That's if you're running from the scene of the crime, the assailant does not have friends/partners (i.e. witnesses), that you were allowed to carry such a weapon, and anything else that the lawyers can twist against you. Better to just end the problem right there. That's why you don't shoot to injure or disable, you shoot to kill.

Since it just keeps going round and round, I figure I may as well ask, what ever happened to WL little green blinding thingy. :p Photonic Disruptor, I mean I know the project was canned but why? maybe it has something to do with injury or possibly it don't work, anyone? Reason I ask it it may have something to do why this is a bad idea.

I still think, a very powerful strobe could induce nausea and it may be possible to make a weapon that would "possibly" overwhelm someone's sensory, like a strobe+noise weapon, I just don't see a laser doing it without being at a level that would smoke some eyeballs and get someone sued at a minimum.

As far as a bunch of 1mw lasers, I could point one in my eye and read a book at the same time so I don't see how that's going to stop anything, I may like it, light therapy and all :p

Last edited:

Molo

If some kid came up to me and tried to threaten me for money I wouldn't just shoot him in the face, what would be the point of killing them when it is unnecessary. Now if he pulled a gun on me that's a whole different matter. I would still rather give up what I have on me then risk a gunfight where either I die for pulling the gun, or win and potentially end up with manslaughter charges.

As far as the blinding thing goes, as stated I wouldn't try such a method. But if you did the whole point would be to run from the area of danger would it not? Why would you shine a light at someone to stun them and wait till they recover ? I also still doubt that they would remember your description well enough to locate you, and to do so would require police assistance or hiring a P.I. and I doubt such a small time criminal would go and pay a P.I. on the off chance he could get some money out of it.