Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If you were to build a 488 nm 5mw laser how would you do it?

mason johnes

I want to see a laser fluoresce threw water for a business Idea although I have found a laser that does fluoresce the 505 nm 5mw 30$ I don't know if it is better or worse than the 488 because it seems people can't decide when does fluorescein best fluoresce it might be 490 or 500nm so I though it would be good to test it myself under my own conditions.Problem is that the only 488 5mw laser I can find is $70 not including shipping.So I think the best option is to make one but I don't know what to get, I would assume 488nm laser diode some cheap drive and a battery but I know there are nuances to this sort of thing so any factors I need to consider would be helpful and very much appreciated.

Hi,
Read about your interests and you will learn how to. Nothing is free but if a member wants to chime in all good. There is plenty of info here about your question you just need to find it.
Rich:)

loreadarkshade

how expensive was it to build and do think I could make it 5mw with the right parts
It was around $50 all in all, $10 the pen host, $30 the 488nm diode, $10 the driver

I have the parts in stock to make one if you wish, or I could pre-build one for you, set and measure it to 5mW and ship it. That would be $100 USD + shipping though because its quite a bit of work

mason johnes

Lasers are an expensive hobby.....
you have to understand you are talking to someone who is very new to the space so if you could expand on that idea that would help me out a lot.diving deeper into what makes it so expensive.

Last edited:
you have to understand you are talking to someone very new to the space so if you could expand on that idea that would help me out a lot.diving deeper into what makes it so expensive.
These forums are a wealth of knowledge. Do some reading and research and you'll soon have a better understanding.

loreadarkshade

5mW or 100mW would be the same cost, the diode is quite expensive, and I had to buy the laser pen in 405nm UV and convert it

A 5mW red or blue, green or UV would be about $20 total, but 488nm is an extra $30 just for the diode itself

At that power level you could use a resistor instead of a driver limiting the output power at a level below what the diode can actually do full out. You'll need to know the diode's Vf and the battery voltage you will use. You can then calculate the power going to the diode and with some experimenting get exactly what you are looking for.