Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If you buy a laser via paypal from a private-party in China or Japan or Russia, will paypal refund you if you never get the item?

lasermore

If you buy a laser via paypal from a private-party in China or Japan or Russia, will paypal refund you if you never get the item?
(I am in usa.)

Last edited:

Hi, You would have to open a dispute with Paypal , If the vendor doesn't hesitate to do good on your purchase .

Rich:)

I had heard about sending the money as gift .This can be scam.because the paypal no allow to open dispute.

Hi, You want to send the money as : for goods and services this way you are covered by the Paypal terms of recouping your cash if the product isn't what the vendor states. My customers send me payment as friends and family so I dont have to pay the Paypal fee or they can pay the fee so I receive what my total is for the job. The only way if you pay as F&F is if you know the person your dealing with and they are a respected member or vendor.

Rich:)

Encap

If you are in USA. It used to be with PayPal in the case of illegal to import lasers with illegal to sell within the USA output levels >5mW that they would not refund any money --i.e. if customs discovered and seized and disposed of the laser because it is illegal import so...
Not sure if still true but probably it is ---better check with PayPal

See: companies on the FDA"red list" subject to "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Laser Pointers, Laser Gunsights, Laser Levels, Laser Light Shows, Laser Pointer Key Chains, & Similar Products That Fail To Comply With Applicable Performance Standards And Reporting Requirements."
See: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_254.html

You can't expect PayPal to refund money because you did not successfully smuggle an illegal product past Customs into the USA.
They do not underwrite or otherwise protect illegal activities if they know or find out that is the case---common sense once again. LOL

Last edited:
Usually PayPal tends to settle with the seller on many cases. If you have proof you never received your item, you’ll more than likely get a refund 🙂

-Alex

If you paid directly to the Seller (not with Friend or Gift) with PayPal
and your item does not get delivered or there is no tracking number
that shows "Delivered" to the address attached to your PayPal account
then PayPal will refund you.

You must of course open a Dispute and let the Seller Respond within
a few days. If the seller can't prove the item was delivered to you and
refuses to refund you... Open a Claim and let PayPal handle it to
refund you. This may take and additional 30 days.

Jerry

Hi, Jerry. I had been wondering where you've been hiding. I would never pay for goods from a Chinese company using friends & family. You have absolutely no recourse if you don't get what you paid for.

Benm

If they ask you to send the money as a gift, you can't count on any chance of a refund.

If the goal is to bypass customs the vendor may label it as a flashlight or just 'electronic component' or whatever they see fit, and you have buyer protection to some degree: if you open a dispute it's up to the vendor to prove that they actually sent you -something- by means of mail receipt or preferable a tracking number. This does not guarantee you actually get what you paid for however, you could still get a did or even a bag of sand, but at least they have to prove they send the item and it was delivered.

When buying things from ebay you have an extra layer of protection: even if the item is seized by customs you will usually get a refund simply because you did not receive it regardless of the reason behind it.

And for the blame game: The vendor is also responsible. If you want to import something into the US that is illegal and the vendor should be reasonably aware of this, they should not offer shipping to the US to begin with.

You need to open a dispute
  1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Open a dispute in the Resolution Center within 180 calendar days of your purchase.
  3. Click “Dispute a Transaction.”
  4. Select item dispute.
Job done

Hi, Jerry. I had been wondering where you've been hiding. I would never pay for goods from a Chinese company using friends & family. You have absolutely no recourse if you don't get what you paid for.
Hey Paul... Been busy with new projects for the coming warm weather
and some new LPM stuff.

@paul666
You also need to escalate the "Dispute" to a "Claim" if the Seller refuses
to respond or give you a refund on his own before the Dispute window
closes.

Jerry

Benm

You can not dispute a transaction that you sent as a 'gift' though. If a vendor asks you to do that just don't go for it, they may not even take the effort to send you some sand in a tube as there is nothing required to be delivered if you send money a a gift.

IMHO buying from Alibaba sellers is a HUGE mistake- I wont even look there-- most are liars when it comes to specs.
BEST are items from trusted members. ( or made by them..or -get a kit & finish)
Then from a USA based company w/ good rep. like AixiZ Laser here in Houston..
THEN from Jetlasers and Sanwu. (both China both super sellers with the very best reps here.)
Odicforce has a good rep (UK)

NEVER buy w/o doing a good search.
The list of sellers to avoid is many times longer.

You can also make a 'WTB' thread in the BS&T forum-- the laser you want MIGHT be for sale IF the seller knows you want it.

NEVER use the word 'laser' anywhere on packaging or payment info like Paypal. I use 'LED light' if anything.
also never scrimp on ship costs--cheap uninsured shipping is a bad trade-off if your item NEVER arrives.

JETLASERS only ships with DHL Express ($38usd) and out of more than 130 lasers I have never seen any evidence of my packages being inspected or opened- the 3 to 4 day delivery , .....while awesome is much less important.

If you trust your seller ...then trust their judgment on safest shipping.
Within CONUS we do not worry much.. BUT when 'crossing borders' more care is needed.
NEVER ship across borders with a laser AND batts in same box!!!
I tell all sellers to keep their (often very cheap) 'free' batts-- do you REALLY want some shipping/customs/etc person to see how well it works..
Buy yr batts elsewhere (I like Battery Junction)-- get a smart charger to avoid fires. ( or death)-- the 'free chargers' are almost always 'worth about what you paid',(not much or nothing)

good luck--hak