Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Identify this Laser!

Krb686

I pulled this laser out of an OLD Polaroid DVD player. I'm looking for help because the diode doesn't look like a normal diode i've seen before.

I'm definitely no laser expert so this could completely not be the laser diode at all :O But it was pointed directly at a series of plastic optics pieces, so i'm fairly certain.

sam_0039-e1308634738576.jpg

And it also has a heatsink!

sam_0038-e1308634760447.jpg

AND there was another chip that looks very similar to the above one, adding to my confusion :thinking:

This one has a plastic piece that protrudes out further than the piece on the other chip.

Also, both chips have 16 pins -_-

sam_0037-e1308634777891.jpg

Last edited:

I'm not sure what exactly these things do. They can be found on laser sleds as well. This isn't a laser diode though.

Ash

Next time could you make the pictures larger? :crackup:

chefla

I would say this is the optical sensor for the laser alignment. But it is definitely not a laser diode.

Here is a hint for sharper pictures: back off a little, this allows for your camera to focus properly. All cameras have a minimum focusing distance. If you go any closer, the picture becomes bigger but also very blurry.
And another one: crop the picture to the area of interest. Your kitchen towel is not interesting ;)

Krb686

Sorry bout that. Well there has to be a laser somewhere I mean you can't have a DVD player without a laser right? And it says Class I laser product on the bottom...these were the only pieces that came out of the optics sled...other than some plastic reflector pieces and a lens.

:thinking:

There are laser diodes there somewhere. That's what those trimmer pots control. However a) this is a reader, so even had it been in a 'normal' TO18 package, it'd only been good for around 10mW max.. and b).. it's not a usable package.. Therefor it's junk.

Though you should probably post a pic of the sled itself for us. If there are normal diodes still in there.. we'll spot them.. so long as it's in focus heh.

Last edited:

Krb686

This is probably the best focusing job I can do with this $70 Samsung

sam_0046-e1308639236616.jpg

sam_0048-e1308639337266.jpg

So on the left you can see the 45 degree slanted optics piece. Towards the center the lens, and next to it the "tracking coil", that's what I saw it called here

k38n.gif

There were two small magnets I pulled that were directly right of the coil, and the whitish plastic piece to the right of the magnet spot I have no clue what it is, although it does have 4 electrical contacts going to it. If you look at the whitish broken piece of plastic at the bottom, there is a slanted plastic hole directly to the left that points directly at the 45 degree reflector, that's where the "light sensor" with the heatsink was placed which is why I thought it was the laser because underneath the lens was another 45 degree upward slanting reflector piece.

Last edited:
Not sure what kind of sled yours is, but it isn't the sanyo you have pictured at the bottom. But still if the diode isn't an obvious 3 pin round TO18 5.6mm can.. it's still moot, because it's useless.

Krb686

Yeah I suppose, I just think it would be odd if one of those pieces above actually was the diode. I'm leaning towards it being the 16 pin piece with the heatsink, I mean what the hell else needs a heatsink in there. Still that's odd, but I guess it is useless if it is the diode.