Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I want to build a sick laser

Fundles

So a 1w gatling style chinese thing is getting delivered to me today, and I'm stoked, but I can't stop daydreaming about a 5-7w laser. I'd like to slap together a sweet build, but have a few questions, and definitely need to find a proper host.
Here's what I want.
Nubm44/nubm08(???)
G8 lens
Host for 2x 26650s
Beam expander
Driver.... (Super x drive from dtr work for this setup?)
And a module of unknown size.

So on to the questions:
1. I'm aware the m44 has garbage divergence, so is the m08 really all that much better?
2. The m08 is the diode used for 5w lasers right? Maybe over-driven a bit?
3. I don't know what size the host/module should be?
4. I think the super x drive is the correct driver for this as 2x 26650s = 7.4v in series. Not sure how to properly adjust it though. Something about a test load and I guess I turn a pot with a DMM hooked up somehow? I've done research but I still don't know exactly what to expect. 😂
5. Optics?! It looks like a g8 lens can screw right into a module, but how do you mount a focus lens and a beam expander? Is there a 2 in 1 BE + focus lens? Or is there a host that somehow accepts both?
6. Battery connections. So the host itself is the positive and I still need a spring for the negative battery terminal to driver?
7. Theres some other spring involved inside the module too? For the lens or something? Please explain.
8. Money. How much should I expect to pay for all this crap? Hopefully less than the $350 or whatever it is that sanwu wants for a 7w striker.

Thanks for any answers. I've done a lot of searching and reading in this forum but It's hard to understand what exactly I'm supposed to do without the laser parts in front of me for reference. I was thinking to buy internals from dtr but still need a host at least. I don't want to buy a bunch of mis-matching parts and have multiple shipments for things I forgot. Your expert guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Fundles

Ok so i dont know of this is considered bumping my own thread, I hope not lol. also i have updated my profile and whatnot.
Update: I got my chinese pos laser and WOW thats cool.
Upsides: Cheap, powerful, good weight, nice little box, starcaps.
Downsides: clicky button is finnicky doesn't turn on sometimes. Super dangerous. Don't really know when its on or off.
Included glasses are not for this wavelength. They are for 532nm, can see beam clearly.
That's all I've got so far. My eaglepair goggles havent gotten here yet so I wont be using this again until they show up. Here's a couple pics tho.

Edit: Oh can anyone estimate what power output this is based on picture?
20190524_220859.jpg20190524_220820.jpg

520/2X18650 ,,SOLD......
Hi,
If your looking fora 520nm hand held I have one for sale 2X18650 / G2 lens can do better on the price. PM me if interested .
Rich:)fullsizeoutput_bbf.jpegfullsizeoutput_bb9.jpegfullsizeoutput_bba.jpegfullsizeoutput_bc0.jpegIMG_4802.JPGfullsizeoutput_bc2.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a great price for that 520 nm laser, the diodes alone were selling for a thousand dollars each soon after they were first released. Although it can't compete with the burning power of a 6-7 watt NUBM44, both the beam and spot from this green laser are just as bright as 7 watts of 450 nm blue, if not more so.

Fundles

Encap: survival lasers doesn't seem to have a host that accepts 2x 26650s.... The s4x looks like it does but in the description it says 2x 18650.

Lifetime: I am fairly interested in that 1w 520! What's nice is you live somewhat near me (saw you on lpm map) but that's not what I'm really after. I'm still thinking about it though.

I'm trying to get a parts list together for a custom build. And I would like to learn how to do it myself. 2x26650, non-gball diode and 5+ watts are a must.

bertha

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

Last edited: