Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I wanna make tonic water fluoresce with a laser pointer.

From OP's perspective it is annoying when you know you want X but gets offered Y. Simply repespect OP's wishes or shut up.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Its a public forum, people are allowed to publish alternatives if they wish. The OP had both a laser suggestion and an LED option. What is exactly wrong with that? Sometimes alternative solutions (Y) are better than original solution (X).

Of course, but not that that applies to want op asked for in this case. It would make more sense if he asked a very narrow angle LED in a LED forum and someone there suggested a laser instead. Op wants to point at the target, not wash it.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The OP just wants to fluoresce. No reference to any application where it has to be a laser. The OP didn't mention he wants to see a line or anything that would only be achievable using lasers. So kecked could if he wanted to suggest an LED. Don't know why you nit-pick everything on this forum.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Again, nothing there that suggests he needs a laser. His original idea was a laser so of course he's going to ask for and reference a laser in his OP. I did recommended a laser before you start with me. I'm just backing up kecked, he was within his right to suggest an idea. There was nothing wrong with suggesting an LED.

He just said "or use an LED..." It's not as much of a suggestion as it is disrespectful. Only after that post did he make up other points. Had he been meaning to actually help, then he would explain it well then. New people coming to this forum should be respected and we should not think we always know whats better.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Seems that it is you that had the problem, not the OP. I do tend to respect new members, but the truth of it is. If the OP is asking the questions, then they obviously do not know the answers themselves, so in that respect the ones answering do know better. That's not arrogance, that just experience. And experience can sometimes tell you that there are alternatives that the OP didn't even consider. That's the beauty of a community of experienced members. Don't stifle it.

kecked

my intensions were purely good. You have now right to judge my heart. Just read my posts. Anyway I wish you well but you reminded me I need to go and do other things. So hey best luck to you and maybe I’ll see you down the road. The idea of the led was to get shorter wavelengths that give a better response. Nothing more.

thank you Curtis. You are the only reason I edited my original message. Most of you have been good to me and I to you. So I won’t be the jerk and scream and run off but I am taking a break.

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
From OP's perspective it is annoying when you know you want X but gets offered Y. Simply repespect OP's wishes or shut up.
Why? Why did you have to say this? Are you happy now? You made someone leave

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
my intensions were purely good. You have now right to judge my heart. Just read my posts. Anyway I wish you well but you reminded me I need to go and do other things. So hey best luck to you and maybe I’ll see you down the road. The idea of the led was to get shorter wavelengths that give a better response. Nothing more.

thank you Curtis. You are the only reason I edited my original message. Most of you have been good to me and I to you. So I won’t be the jerk and scream and run off but I am taking a break.
By all means take a break. Definitely don’t want to see you leave altogether. Had to back you up on that one.

My intention was not to make kecked or anyone else upset. I've been made to take a break for this place before, and in my return I have been feeling to show my spikes very easily. I've been upset myself by the often unwelcome response to newcomers and decided to defend their case when I can. Just because I think someone here is respectfulness to someone don't mean I should show the same in response.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
My intention was not to make kecked or anyone else upset. I've been made to take a break for this place before, and in my return I have been feeling to show my spikes very easily. I've been upset myself by the often unwelcome response to newcomers and decided to defend their case when I can. Just because I think someone here is respectfulness to someone don't mean I should show the same in response.
You come in with an attitude and tell everyone to shut up and you don't think that will upset someone?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Well what did you think was going to happen? You argued over a guy suggesting an idea. I hope in hindsight you realise this was petty. This isn't the only argument I've got into with you on recently.

Look at it from our perspective, we get inundated with the some of the same stupid questions, we get trolls on here playing the 'help me' card, and safety/laser laws are a big factor on whether this hobby can continue. Forgive us if sometimes we may be lacking in a little patience. 99% I always try to be polite and helpful to new members. I do however have no qualms about shutting down terrible ideas.

Also this thread clearly isn't an example where we was rude and unhelpful to a new member. The OP seems genuine in what he wants and has considered laser safety. No problems there, hence why I had no problems recommending him a laser like he desired.

You loop this argument now. If you cant let me admit my error then I guess you just like arguing.