Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I powered my AAA battery laser with AA ones!

ixfd64

I powered my pen-style laser with AA batteries!

It was rather tricky, but I managed to power my pen-style Wicked Lasers "Advanced" laser with AA batteries. Here's what I did:

1. I took a 2.5 cm x 14 cm piece of aluminum foil and wrapped it around a pen, which I used to guide the conducting foil to the battery contact spring.
2. Using some electrical tape, I taped two AA batteries together, like this: [-][====}[+][-][====}[+]
3. I took some wiring (which I found in an electronics hobby kit) and connected the positive end of the batteries to the threaded area on the laser, where the end cap normally goes.
4. I connected the negative end of the batteries to the foil (no wiring required).

I was then able to power my laser. However, the connection was not very good as the laser kept flickering. I also had to hold the foil against the spring for the laser to work. In any case, I'm going to see if I can make some sort of apparatus to hold the "contraption" in place, or else I have no free hands!

Has anyone else ever done something like this?

Last edited:

Ok, maybe I'm missing the point, but why would you want to do that? Longer battery life?

AAA is exactly the same as AA. The only difference is size and capacity :/

rkcstr

Generally slightly cheaper too... but still not getting it :-?

Benm

If its not about portability i guess it'll work just fine.

Sometimes i rig temporary battery connections with alligor clips and little neodynium disc magnets to make contact with and beween batteries. For a tabletop setup this works much better than mucking with tape, tinfoil and tubes.

watch out for that flickering, not too good for the diode and you might burn it for a bad connection.
could you take some pics?

I normaly use rechargables but when I want to impress my freinds I use those nice Lithium Batts and at my local store for two AAA Lithiums its 12$ but 4 AA Lithiums are only 13$ so your getting more for your money.

Takes some pics I want to see how its done. :cool:

nikokapo said:
watch out for that flickering, not too good for the diode and you might burn it for a bad connection.
could you take some pics?

Aren't laser diodes meant to flicker 100s of times per second? Would that matter if it is protected by a Capacitor and driver?

I did this to my NewWish 150mw green when I was refocusing it.. longer battery life, yes.. more output.. not really.. faster overheating.. DEFINITELY. The driver got HOT quick. I am glad(and lucky) I didnt kill it. The driver has to compensate for the higher current capability.

I wouldn't recommend doing this, as you'll probably kill your laser QUICK.

Just grab a set of 1100 or 1200 mah AAA's- if you can find good ones- and be happy. The lithium batteries really make a difference though. I know this even without an LPM because the beam is even more visible with lithiums(can't tell on the spot itself because it is already bright enogh to blind me of I am dumb enough to aim it at light objects at close proximity). Burning is definitely easier on lithiums also. It still kills them fast which can add up the $$ quick.

Too bad they don't make rechargeable 1.5v AAA's. They'd be the ideal battery.