Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need help with Laser Hosts (Europe)

TheChemicalWorkshop

Hello,

My name is Matti and I’m a polish maker living in Germany

I’m planning to build few lasers and well, need help with laser hosts/drivers, I have absolutely no idea where to get parts from… well let me first list features I need

good looking chassis/host
should support any kind of diode, case positive and negative
easy to get (at least in Germany/EU)
futureproof – I should be able to get all parts in year or 2
ability to anyhow add filters… so for example green diodes don’t spill IR

I don’t care about cooling/output power, I intend to use the lasers in 1-10mw (max) range, prob go with 5mw which should be “safe” across all nm ranges.

Also, it would be cool if I could use the diffraction gradings like star and whatever not

More like a laser pointer for presentations or comparing colors kind of thing

I hope some laser geeks can help me with getting parts, I’m fine with soldering electronics and bunch of other things

TheChemicalWorkshop

First buy the correct one of these based on your laser color: (i can't post links)
Then buy this: (i cant post links)

There are cheaper places to buy from, but they are not futureproof

okay thanks that a good start, i'll skip on laser glasses (im well informed of safety), the whole point of my project is to be at/below safe limit so i can use them in presentations and other stuff, yes my lasers are intended to be toys

and yes, send me more cheaper options if there exist

also the problem i noticed is the current... they are 400mA and up which is waaay too much
one of the diodes i'm getting is a 505nm 35mW 100mA, and i intend to drive it below 100mA, also it's 7.5V diode so are there tiny boost drivers to do that? 18650's are 3.0*4.2V so thhat gotta be regulated somehow

i could do my own regulated PCB but i suck in design... not to mind mechanical stuff + don't have Equipment to solder SMD

Something that fits everything you list is not available "off the shelf."
You will need an original design for that. If you draw up the plans yourself, there are some skilled machinists that can produce it to your specification.
For something adaptable to different configurations, you will have to be clever. There is no ready made solution for that.

Take a look at the Micro Flex drive v5. I have a 505 nm diode running just fine with one of these at ~100 mA. It's my preferred driver.

TheChemicalWorkshop

Something that fits everything you list is not available "off the shelf."
You will need an original design for that. If you draw up the plans yourself, there are some skilled machinists that can produce it to your specification.
For something adaptable to different configurations, you will have to be clever. There is no ready made solution for that.

Take a look at the Micro Flex drive v5. I have a 505 nm diode running just fine with one of these at ~100 mA. It's my preferred driver.

yeah I'll take a look into the micro flex drive v5

well, i was thinking about making a custom host but well, i have absolutely no idea about spacing/design/anything, i was thinking about Al pipe and just jam everything inside, but well, won't look good :(

hnn idk honestly
maybe gime me link to some cheap host (pls link), i'll just make something out if it and somehow figure out how todo stuff?

gazer101

yeah I'll take a look into the micro flex drive v5

well, i was thinking about making a custom host but well, i have absolutely no idea about spacing/design/anything, i was thinking about Al pipe and just jam everything inside, but well, won't look good :(

hnn idk honestly
maybe gime me link to some cheap host (pls link), i'll just make something out if it and somehow figure out how todo stuff?
You could even run a low power laser diode using just a resistor to limit current

TheChemicalWorkshop

You could even run a low power laser diode using just a resistor to limit current
SHARP GH05030C2LM says operating voltage typ 6.0 and max 7.5
so i'm pretty sure i need to boost.. i wanna use 1x 18650 or 1x the thinner ones... or smth
i have bunch of 18650 and a good charger so there are my preferred way (could use smth else tho)

That is exactly how many small cheap 650nm pointers are driven. The math is pretty easy if you know the Vf of the diode. Use E=I X R

E= voltage
I=current
R= value of the resistor

In UK and highly regarded--
lots of good reviews..