Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need a complete list for DIY Blu-Ray laser

kendon

spaceman_hux said:
50 dollars is very ambitious
you may be looking at 100 dollars

i think with all the prices being thrown around here we should make a difference between a working laser and a working laser in a fancy host. i have built a nic e working laser in a black plastic box, by now it is powered by a mains adaptor, hook up a 9v batt and you have a handheld. cost roughly:

12$ ld
4+2$ ld mounted in aixiz module
~2$ parts for ddl driver
~2$ the case

which makes just over 20$ for the complete build.
if you want a fancy handheld you'd need a host and most probably a heatsink, which will take the cost to a higher level.

but as long as the n00bs refuse to answer these questions we will discuss around this for ages... :-?

Go read the whole volume on DC on electronics, and you'll never need to ask any kind of basic questions again: Volume 1 - DC - allaboutcircuits.com

Or at least the basics in chapter 1: Basic Concepts of Electricity

I'm not sure why many don't know about this website. It teaches so many things, and if anyone here knows all that it teaches, I really salute you! 4 Volumes in there: DC, AC, Semiconductors, and Digital.

Covers everything you need to know about basic electronics, which'd mean that for what we are doing in this forum, you are already beyond it if you know everything in those 4 volumes.

Tw15t3r

Uh, its a hell of a lot to read.. Probably gonna take several hours. :/

I'll start withn the basic chapter

[quote author=Tw15t3r] Go read the whole volume on DC on electronics, and you'll never need to ask any kind of basic questions again:

Or at least the basics in chapter 1:

I'm not sure why many don't know about this website. It teaches so many things, and if anyone here knows all that it teaches, I really salute you! 4 Volumes in there: DC, AC, Semiconductors, and Digital.

Covers everything you need to know about basic electronics, which'd mean that for what we are doing in this forum, you are already beyond it if you know everything in those 4 volumes.[/quote]

Love you for it ^^

Personally ive built lots of circuits to home made radio cars, boats and alike but together tons of stuff, it works but now i know how to understand it even more :p my dad teached me all, i did what he did, but he didnt tell me about all that xD

Tw15t3r

I've read the whole basic chapter now, and i think im ready to do it the praxis.

What things should i start out with? Make a red laser or some minor LED stuff?

Before you burn out $15 laser diodes, I would buy some LEDs and experiment with those.  They cost less, are more tolerant of excess current and static discharge, and still have many properties of the lasers.

jonasa0601 said:
Tw15t3r

You don't have to read everything in a day! :eek:
But, when you do complete it, you'll be glad you did! ;)

At least I'm glad that you finished the chapter. To start off practically, you could experiment with simple light bulb circuits, LEDs and etc. However, if you want to make your own driver, I'd say u need quite some basic knowledge in semiconductors, and DC circuitry. To be honest, electronics does not need to be practised to improve. You just need to have good theoretical knowledge. The only thing that really needs practice is soldering.

And if you know how to get free software *hint hint*, well, check out the software called "crocodile clips", or any similar software that simulates electric circuits. This will almost ensure that your circuit will work the first time you really try it.

jonasa0601 said:

I spent over 1 month just reading here before I registered... and then another
few weeks before I asked my first question... (i didn't want to look like a noob ;D)

You started out good... but it seems your getting lazy if you can't understand the
Resistor Value Color Code...  ::)

Maybe the best thing would be to forget about building a Laser for now... and buy one
until you learn the basics required to build one... :'(

I'm pretty sure you have no soldering skills...and that also needs to be learned...

The members here have all pointed you in the right direction....
Now it is up to you to do something with that information...

Too bad we are not born with all the knowledge we need in life pre-installed..... :'(

Jerry

If you want an interesting project to do then I could sell you a LM317 chip, commonly used to regulate current, and a violet laser diode (PHR-803T). This would have to be after I've bought the diodes though, so I'd estimate a few weeks to a month. In the meantime, I'd recommend that you experiment with some LEDs first - a string of 6 in series set at 120mA should get you acquainted with the concepts, and get used to measuring voltages and current in a safe manner (not risking blowing a $15 diode)