Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need a complete list for DIY Blu-Ray laser

Hey every laser geek :)

I'm all new to lasers, and i've decided to make my own. I haven't been in to electronics before, and i just can't understand what OHM, AMP, etc. etc. is. Even though i've been explained it before, i don't understand. If you can you can make me understand, i would be glad.

But now for the real laser part:

The laser should look like a real laser pointer or flashlight, and not asome kind of box.

It should be a Blu-Ray laser with a quite okay diode. I'm willing to spend around 10-15$ on the diode.

The driver(i'm not quite sure what it is, but i think it's a thing that can regulate power and stuff lol) may be premade made :)

Overall the laser should cost under ~50$. (I don't know if it's possible)

I hope it's enough information, and i hope you will help me! :)

P.S.: I've read some guides on this site, but none has not really fitted me yet. I'm sorry if the answer to my question is on this site, if you find please link it. :)

daguin

Keep reading. Especially read the "sticky's" at the tops of the boards and the tutorial and experiments boards. You need a little more knowledge before you start this. You do not yet know what questions to ask to get your desired outcome. After you learn a bit more, you can start using the "search" function to find more specific information. We WILL help, but you do not yet have enough focus for us to do much for you.

Peace,
dave

I've read all stickied threads now, but haven't really found out anything i didn't knew already.

I have safety glasses for green to blue to violet lasers. I've ordered Romisen 30mw laser from DX yesterday..

I'll try to search the topics.. If i can't really find anything i'll post here.

Thanks

I can't find a guide that says what amps and OHM is.. Anyone know a site where this can be found?

What the hell is with this recent deluge of newbies who expect to have their hands held through the entire laser building process? Yes, we were all newbies at one point or another, but when you come to a DIY forum with no knowledge at all and expect to have the answers laid out in front of you, it's practically insulting.

"What's an Ohm?" "What's a diode?" "How do I check if the laser works if I haven't even bought the drive?"

Good hell people! If you don't even have basic electronics skills, or even lack skills to find information on the Internet by yourself, you should not be attempting to make DIY lasers! This isn't the 1990s where you might have needed to--God forbid--buy a book to learn about something. You've got Wikipedia, online tutorials, stickied threads, and the entire Internet at your disposal. If these guides are too hard to understand, you probably lack the fundamentals, and this forum is not the place to be taught them.

There are stupid questions. Stupid questions come from a clear lack of effort on part of the questioner. They waste the time of the people you ask because you should have the means to find it out yourself. By all means, ask specific questions if you've exhausted your resources and you just can't grasp the concept, but an excuse like "I've read some guides on this site, but none has not really fitted me yet" just doesn't cut it. Go back and read them again. Look up the terms they use ("Ohm", "amp") on the internet, look up how to perform basic electronics. These are basic--real life--problem solving skills that I thought they still emphasized in grade school. At no time in history is it easier to find free information. There is really NO EXCUSE.

Bionic-Badger

I spend over 30 mins continually searching for some kind of electricicity guide on google, but none was found. I could make a laser with some tutorial, but i want to know the fundamentals, so next time i can make one myself. I couldn't find such a guide, so thats why i'm asking here since i know, that atleast one of you most know where to find one. I can solder and so on, but i would like to know why and how all those electrical things react as they do. For example: why does a resistor do what it does?

I hope you will answer the questions, since i think i've done my searching.
Obviously you have the time to make a comprehensive post.

Thank you.

Btw "none has not fitted me yet."

You don't have to complain about my spelling, i'm 15 years old and live in Denmark, so i think its pretty good.
At least you got the message.

Ieon

Dorcy jr 115mw bluray

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/272/94/

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214285108/0

stuff needed

803T http://xlasers.webs.com/store.htm 11.50 shipping 3 us

driver 115 ma http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Micro_FlexDrive.php 27 US 3 shipping

Kit http://mysite.verizon.net/grall/darkhorsecustom/id75.html 45 US (aixiz module inculded)

Total 83.5 total with shipping 89.5

ermm...it's 40 US more them what you said, but its pretty cheap since its in a nice shiny host, long lasting batterys and a easy tutorial. ( dont forget wicked lasers sells there 60mw one for 2000 US, saving a bit over 1900 US and you get more power.)

Don't forget it's shiny, very shiny, you need shiny, shiny man, shiny is good, you need shiny cause shiny is good, shiny, shiny shiny did I mention its SHINY!!

Okay, so i guess i must pay that price to make a blue laser :)

I'll use my green one for a while first, and then i'll maybe make a blue. (Or red if i have a dvd burner for practice)

daguin

jonasa0601 said:

Okay, so i guess i must pay that price to make a blue laser :)

I'll use my green one for a while first, and then i'll maybe make a blue. (Or red if i have a dvd burner for practice)

You may be able to make a violet laser, but I doubt you will be building a blue laser any time soon

Peace,
dave

Hehe i meant blue-violet like bluray light is :)

Btw. is there ANY laser i can build for quite cheap? It should still be okay powerfull: >50mw

kendon

jonasa0601 said:
Hehe i meant blue-violet like bluray light is :)

Btw. is there ANY laser i can build for quite cheap? It should still be okay powerfull: >50mw

put "quite cheap" in numbers and we can discuss. it all starts at ~20$, but you can go as high as a LOC (red) goes for that money (~250-300mw). for BR you will get a PHR-803T build for that, which can be anything from ~100 to >150mw, from what i read here on the forums so far (have built only two by now, and i don't have a LPM :( )

I was thinking the same thing sort of as OP yet the only thing I wonder is if the tutorial on the DDL board is what is enough to run the laser or do i need the small boards from for example Stone Tek.

and to steal a question =)

for around 200~~ $ what am i looking at? :p (this tag beeing what i order from the us, meaning modules, heatsinks and diodes etc) will most likley (99% sure) get things from stone tek :p

plan is to have a heatsink both for the module of course and maybe the DDL aswell, and using a batery elliminator over batteries

Kendon

Okay, then i think i'll start of with a quite powerfull red one then.

I got these glasses:

www . dragonlasers . com /catalog/Red-laser-beam-protection-640-750nm--Laser-Eyewear-p-16255 . html

They will protect my eyes well, won't they? I think i'll make a red laser like the one you said on ~250mW.

I'll just look at some guides here, and ask questions if needed. Thanks :)

EDIT: Quite cheap: >50$ in total, preferly around 40 bucks.

I have looked on this guide:

www . laserpointerforums . com /forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870

but i doesn't really understand what this is:

"LM317 TO-220 package. Make sure the metal casing is not grounded! (I used the TO-92 package, but it's only rated up to 100mA and thus do not suggest that anyone else use it, but feel free to use it as I did.)"

What is that thing? And what driver uses he on this guide?

there are different component packages that different components come in. the to-220 is larger and has more heatsinking, so higher levels of Volts or Amps can pass through. the to-92 is a smaller package and little heat dissipating abilities. that is the reason it is only rated to 100mA would work for a BR at mild output levels but not for a 275mW red. each one has their own unique application. just choose one that fits your needs

oh yeah most of the time the large heatsink with the hole in it to mount is also the Vout of the regulator as well as the middle pin.

ckt21_31.gif