Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I made a 3D model of my SF501B

How realistic does it look? Be honest :)

2r8O5Qwl.png

Full Res: http://i.imgur.com/2r8O5Qw.png

Last edited:

jimdt7

Apart from the "beam" part, it looks quite realistic! :gj:

Jim

I will be honest :)

I am working with 3D software for about 5 years. Mostly Autodesk 3DS Max and Inventor.

The model it-self is not so good. The head is way too big. Other than that the rest of it looks quite good :) If you can make more renders it will help me see other parts in it.

Also , I mostly learned about rendering over the years. I do not know what engine you used ... but it looks okay to me :) I will not say it is realistic ... as there is more work need to be done. Rendering is a big area and very hard to learn. So do not take it personally or something ... It is just hard to get a realistic 3D image :)

I will reccommend learning about V-ray. One of the best render engines out there.

Thanks for sharing it with us ! After all it is a nice work :beer:

Last edited:
I've heard about Vray. I'm still in school, so were just using Mental Ray for now.

EDIT: Did some more extensive research on VRay. Its an impressive rendering engine, but man its expensive. Not to mention I would bet it needs a pretty impressive computer to run it.

I have a 6 core Intel i7 and it still took 5 minutes just to render that single image.

Last edited:
Like it was already said, the beam needs a lot of work, host itself isn't that bad, through you'd need to lose the corner smoothing at the very top of the crown.

Problem with the beam is that the picture of the beam is actually horribly unrealistic depiction (as weird as it sounds). So you need to decide either to go for actual realistic look, or photorealistic look.

Both need a bit deeper understanding of how we/cameras perceive light, how is it flawed, and how to replicate flaws in otherwise pixel-perfect flawless rendering software.

I've heard about Vray. I'm still in school, so were just using Mental Ray for now.

EDIT: Did some more extensive research on VRay. Its an impressive rendering engine, but man its expensive. Not to mention I would bet it needs a pretty impressive computer to run it.

I have a 6 core Intel i7 and it still took 5 minutes just to render that single image.

Yes Vray is expensive ... but if you are just working with it for fun ... you can download a cracked version of it. Of course if you will use it for work .. you should pay for it :)

I have a i7 with 6 cores too. It does take time. But the thing about Vray is that you need to learn how to use it and customize it. With correct settings you can acheive good results not in a long time. long render time does not mean that the image will be good.

However , good photo relistic renders do take a few hours to render for just one frame. In order to do a serious movie for example , like Pixar's movies ... you will need a network of high end computers and it will still take a lot of time to finish it.

After all it is a nice work :beer:

Last edited:
aCYufnXl.png

I remade the Lazerer Rifle in inventor. Taking all those measurements took forever.

Neel

I must admit, seeing the revised version almost fooled me into thinking it was a real laser.

I rendered this during class on my laptop, and it took a good 30 minutes to render.
A good practice for doing these kinds of renders is to bring a portable game system so you don't get too bored XD

I rendered this during class on my laptop, and it took a good 30 minutes to render.
A good practice for doing these kinds of renders is to bring a portable game system so you don't get too bored XD

What software are you using, again?

Both 3DS Max and Blender have hardware-accelerated rendering solutions, where you can use your GPU to render stuff a LOT faster, at the expense of some control over materials.

3DS Max has Quicksilver nVidia renderer, while Blender has Cycles render for which you can pick either CUDA technology (nVidia) or OpenCL (ATI), which both greatly help.

I'm using Maya with Mental Ray.

From what I can tell, 90% of the renderer's for Maya (And all of the big ones, Mental Ray, Vray, RenderMan) use the CPU for rendering because its more precise.

Edit: Apparently the new version of Vray can utilize GPU rendering. But its also 1300$ so I doubt I'll be using it any time soon.

Last edited: