Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

i hate this "holiday"!!!!!

I think I just have more empathy than most. In my experience, no matter what culture, atleast 10% of the people are losers. Add poverty, drugs, and oppression and the number rises quite considerably. This goes for any culture. You cant generalize a whole culture by what a handful of losers are doing. If you do than you fall into the same class as the losers. Except the fact that everyone has the right to fly their own flag. No one has to like it, but don't condemn good people by the actions of a bunch of losers.

And now you know..
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/bc...tor-psa-and-now-you-know-from-recklesstortuga

Ace82

Tech_Junkie said:
Except the fact that everyone has the right to fly their own flag.

One of my neighbors was instructed by the police to remove his skull and cross bone flag from his house because it degraded the neighborhood.   I watched it from my front yard.  

I agree with accepting the world for what it is, that's key in finding balance.  And like you said, that doesn't mean that we must like it, and that it is ok if we don't.  So that's why we're here bitching about it on this thread.   ;D

To me, honor and respect are essential when trying to establish a "free" stable civil society or community.  Of coarse if it were an empire or dictatorship, then you have no right to even bitch or complain because you will be de-headed or de-handed or de-tongued, or what ever.  But in the US, it is supposed to be a democracy, where fairness is applied equally to the people, and obviously it isn't entirely true.  And people of a culture should focus on the positive things such as the chance to live such a life as an equal, and try to do so.  But some people don't even try to behave in a "normal" fashion because they separate themselves from others because of some historical event that in all actuality it most likely doesn't involve ANY of us personally,  it was our ancestors.   And if you continue to hold on to certain things, then like an anchor it will be nearly impossible to grow forth and move on.  Who cares if the president is black or white?  I sure don't, but ask a few black people.  All I care about is that he is smart and has the right attitude to make our nation better, and is a generally over-all good person.  I wouldn't mind if it were a female either.   This nation tends to kiss the ass of the black man because of a historical event that is buried  under decades of time, and that isn't fair.  So I agree, as a national holiday, I believe it's stupid.  Well, I also believe Christmas is a very dumb holiday because it has manipulated into a national selling day, take the gifts out of the picture and Christmas would be grand!  Just make sure to do it up good on the meal and visit with your family all day, shed all obligation and enjoy each other's company, and be safe!  

I do see your points, and they are very valid. MLK day doesn't bother me because I don't look at it as a black freedom day. Although many do because he became a martyr when he died. He was a man who fought for freedom and died because of it. We honor others in this country that have done the same thing. It is extremely rare in this country that someone takes a stand, and with the knowledge one day he might die for it, kept pushing on without raising a fist in anger. Black, or white it took balls of steel to do the things he did. For some reason, and I've seen this many times with other people who died for what they love, some people get angry at this. I don't get it. Love, hate or whatever, you have to appreciate the conviction of the man. Only rarely does a person come along like that. So if we (US government) wants to patch up some wrong past doings with a holiday, I thing MLK is the best canidate. And now with a black prez I'd say we are even with the board, and after this initial gloat it should all settle down.

I personal could care less LOL but I do admire his dedication to follow what he believed in to the death. And his non violent approach. Gandhi was a similar man.

I love debate... ::)  Tell me that video wasnt funny ;D

Ace82

I to love debate.  :D

MKL day doesn't necessarily bother me either, but what does irritate me a bit is how he is worshiped in the black community.  I mean, there have been several people who have shown the same honor, and died fighting for their beliefs and cause just the same as MLK has, but you don't see the nation make a holiday for them.  And yes, it did take courage, and I honor anybody who fights for such righteous reasoning.  I'm sure it was his love for his friends and family that drove him.  However, do the majority of the black people recognize MLK for what he did as a freedom fighter, or do they recognize him for what he did?  What I mean is, in an analogy, do people worship Jesus Christ because of his ways, or the fact that he died on the cross for their sins?  Do they even consider what it took him to conquer what he did on the inside?  Do people really respect diamonds or gold because they are shiny, or because of the long natural process that occurred natural by Mother Nature?  

I was actually very surprised to see so much black coverage during the election of Obama.  I didn't expect to see talk of MLK and see the parties and intention directed at the color of his skin.  That was disappointing, because he's every body's president just the same as he is for black people, and it didn't seem right, not like they would have had the same outcome if it were another white man.  

Some people worship Hitler, because of his "amazing" powers.  Good bless MLK as much as any other good man, and anybody could make such a mark in history if they really truly applied what was true in their heart that would make such an impact.  

"Even down the board", sure, but I'm only 26,years old I'm not 100, so some people might not think the damage could ever be undone.   I'm sure the torment was Hell, but to rise above it and move on would seem much more respectable, and constructive.  So we'll see, only the future can tell!  

Tech_Junkie said:
 Tell me that video wasnt funny  ;D

That video wasn't funny................................................

It was hilarious.......... ;D ;D ;D