Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I FINALLY BUILT MY LASER BUT....

nosebleedXD said:
i have no idea actually, ill take some pictures of the solder thing im using, i'd say my tip is pointy but its not too thick or too thin

and the solder im using, NO IDEA

and since when did i brag about soldering =[ i tried to debrag about my soldering skills

i wasn't talking about you don't worry, yea try to get some pictures of you iron i want to see what your using. Might help you never know

gw424

rog8811 said:
it is referred to on the DX website as:
Red Laser Module - Focusable Dot (3.5V~4.5V 16mm 5mW)  

the title of the DX ad says it is a 5mw output diode

The first thing you do is knock out the 5mw LD/driver and bin it. Now press in a proper LD...

Regards rog8811

Yes I realise that but the op didnt mention doing that in the string. That .5mw diode has been the only one discussed so far. Has he done what you discussed and replaced the original .5mw diode?

yes of course i have, i wasted 3 dvd drives in the process also =[

anyways.... sorry guys i've been busy these last couple of days, i can't find my camera either

i'll get pictures of my solder gun soon sorry guys

and once again thanks all for the help

btw i found out it was my lens problem, i bought a sure laser module but the lens wont work for the dx module cause its too big

but i have another dx module coming also, so ill replace the lens with that when it comes

It looks like your tip needs to be cleaned. Here is what you are going to need to do. Take a sponge and make it completely wet, turn your iron on. Once you iron gets up to temperature take it and gently rub it into the sponge to get all the stuff off of the tip. Its handy to always have a sponge around when you are soldering, so once you are done you can wipe off your tip to prevent harm to the tip. Trying using a thinner guage of solder. Its easier for you iron to melt and you will have less chance of beading big blobs onto multiple pins. Also does you iron say what volt it is?

gw424

nosebleedXD said:
=[ so confused, so does anyone know if that deal extreme flux will work

That flux looks fine :) Also, I didn't read the whole post yet but, I'd recommend you get a nice Weller solder station. I used to use a cheap radioshack iron and I must say, a Weller soldering iron was SOOO much easier. For once I understood how to actually "tin" the tip. I know it may cost more (a cheap one is about $40), but in the long run, it's a GREAT investment. If you want a link for the one I got, I'll post it.

my tip is sorta bent lawl

well anyways, ima get the flux and see what happens

right now the solder is SO FLAT its impossible to get out

do i get like a q tip and dab some flux on and heat up the solder?

no money for tip =[

Alexizupinhea said:
[quote author=nosebleedXD link=1237520263/32#41 date=1239059017]=[ so confused, so does anyone know if that deal extreme flux will work

That flux looks fine :) Also, I didn't read the whole post yet but, [highlight]I'd recommend you get a nice Weller solder station. I used to use a cheap radioshack iron and I must say, a Weller soldering iron was SOOO much easier[/highlight]. For once I understood how to actually "tin" the tip. I know it may cost more (a cheap one is about $40), but in the long run, it's a GREAT investment. If you want a link for the one I got, I'll post it.[/quote]

i could not agree more with what you said about the Weller soldering stations or iron in general. Well get the flux and read up on how to use it and see if that helps at all

gw424

Now that were talking about soldering i have one question
If all guides says that you should apply some heat on the item your soldering, do you just put solder on the iron when solder heat sensitive things? Such as lasers :p

jonasa0601 said:
Now that were talking about soldering i have one question
If all guides says that you should apply some heat on the item your soldering, do you just put solder on the iron when solder heat sensitive things? Such as lasers :p

I assume that you are talking bout parts that are easily damaged by heat. When working with components that are heat sensitive ( Most smd parts, transistors and a lot of common IC-integrated circuit chips. Like the lm386 and 555timer) If you have a heat adjustable iron you would want to turn the heat down a considerable about. Just enough to melt the solder. One other thing to keep in mind is; the longer you touch the chip the most it is exposed to heat. The easiest way to fix this problem would be to use http://www.elexp.com/ics_cl08.htm If you use those you have no worry about frying a chip. Also you can easily replace chips when needed.

@nosebleedXD

If you get some money and really want to start soldering this is a great kit that comes with a decent iron and everything and more that you need to start soldering. http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=136

/me

haha thats expensive but thanks anyways

i will let you guys know when i get this flux