Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I f*****ng hate 10440's!!!

mfo

Well, I was using a protected 10440 in a pen host, when I noticed the pen host got hot as hell. I took at the batteries, one of them was hot, and I noticed the plastic cover starting to melt. I quickly chucked it in a metal garbage can, then dumped it into a cup of water to cool it down and prevent it from rupturing. Long story short, 10440 batteries suck and I truly hate them.

< /rant>

Sorry everyone, I had to get that off of my chest...

That sucks... Luckily you were alert and prevented it from damaging your module!

What kind of brand were the batteries?

mfo

Actually, I'm most grateful the thing didn't burst into flames and jeopardize my house, that's why I kept my cool and threw it in a cup of water.

It was a trustfire Li-Ion...

That's insane, sounds like the protection circuit shorted out (ironic). Good that you stopped a potential disaster. I use those in a 3045 BR, so thanks for the heads up.

Ray

I've had problems with Trustfire batteries before.(Getting hot) Switched to Ultrafires, with no problems, yet.

It might not be the batteries' fault. You might have had some faulty wiring in your pen host, causing it to short out. These usually don't have protection circuits, so it's necessary to be careful with them.

I was using some unprotected 10440's in my red pens , and they would drop off after about a minute. i switched to protected cells and they seem to be working fine. it could have been just that cell gone bad in your build.

Need an item from DX NOW? Get it for free in just a few minutes Here .

Hey Potato , is that spam in your sig?

KiLLrB

and what is that going between the girls boobs in your avatar is that a.... yeah i think it is :/

Moptsp

Well now I know I should get ultrafire when getting this type of battery. Thanks for the info.

and what is that going between the girls boobs in your avatar is that a.... yeah i think it is :/

Oh man. Why you have to go and say that? :p lol I never noticed it. Now every time I see it I will know.. :whistle:

It might not be the batteries' fault. You might have had some faulty wiring in your pen host, causing it to short out. These usually don't have protection circuits, so it's necessary to be careful with them.

Hey Potatohead......

Why are you SPAMMING in your Sig by stating a blatant LIE....
There is no GET FREE DX ITEMS NOW info on that link...
Are you starting to BS the members here....:thinking:

Perhaps a slight correction would prevent any "RAGE" associated
with that link.... :whistle:

Just a thought...

Jerry

I hate those batt. to they sUUUck!!!!!!! I do like the protected one's though, had some old carriers that were slightly oversized for the conventional 10440 so worked out good.

Actuly that isn't so cool, if the cell had opened/vented because of over pressure there then would have been an opening for the water to reach the lithium and cause an explosion ! I have seen this happen and you don't want it to happen inside your house ! and never while you are holding the cup :whistle:

Actually, I'm most grateful the thing didn't burst into flames and jeopardize my house, that's why I kept my cool and threw it in a cup of water.

It was a trustfire Li-Ion...

Actuly that isn't so cool, if the cell had opened/vented because of over pressure there then would have been an opening for the water to reach the lithium and cause an explosion ! I have seen this happen and you don't want it to happen inside your house ! and never while you are holding the cup :whistle:

I was just about to say that.... Lithium is very reactive to water, it will tarnish in seconds when exposed to the moister in the air. If placed in water Lithium can combust, producing sparks and hydrogen gas (which is also combustible). This was the worst way to "prevent" an accident. Next time place the battery in the metal bin and place the bin outside, wait for the battery to cool down, then throw it away.

Here is a tiny piece of Lithium reacting with water... the batteries use about 10 times as much and also act as a pressure chamber as pyro pointed out, which could cause it to explode!!

Play safe -Adrian

Hey Potatohead......

Why are you SPAMMING in your Sig by stating a blatant LIE....
There is no GET FREE DX ITEMS NOW info on that link...
Are you starting to BS the members here....:thinking:

Perhaps a slight correction would prevent any "RAGE" associated
with that link.... :whistle:

Just a thought...

Jerry
Correction made.

Now emagine all that gas that was given off by that little piece of lithium being trapped inside a metel casing because the gasses are trapped and the pressure will rise at a faster rate that with cause a faster reaction now you have a slow hand grenade...

As bobahaha said you should put a hot lipo cell in something non-combustable and let it cool down, after a few days turn it in to recycle not the landfill.

I was just about to say that.... Lithium is very reactive to water, it will tarnish in seconds when exposed to the moister in the air. If placed in water Lithium can combust, producing sparks and hydrogen gas (which is also combustible). This was the worst way to "prevent" an accident. Next time place the battery in the metal bin and place the bin outside, wait for the battery to cool down, then throw it away.

Here is a tiny piece of Lithium reacting with water... the batteries use about 10 times as much and also act as a pressure chamber as pyro pointed out, which could cause it to explode!!

Play safe -Adrian

Last edited: