Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hurricane Irma

Certainly we have accelerated it some, I just don't know how much.

Rivem

Certainly we have accelerated it some, I just don't know how much.

Climate scientists like to say 10-30% of tropical cyclone intensity comes from anthropogenic climate change, but that's obviously not an easy thing to observe since they're so complicated.

Definitely worried about Irma though. Even if it doesn't hit the US, the islands that it will hit have little to no evacuation opportunities. They are going to have to deal with the record-breaking winds and big storm surges which could be devastating. If it tracks along the bigger Carribean islands like Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Hispaniola, the rain flooding becomes an issue too.

Wherever it hits, US support will be spread thin dealing with Harvey, so more international help might be needed.

im assuming its too early to see where Jose is gonna end up? the little swirly just behind Irma... RIP east coast

Rivem

im assuming its too early to see where Jose is gonna end up? the little swirly just behind Irma... RIP east coast

Yes, and it's honestly still too early to really tell where Irma will end up past the Bahamas and USVI. The media is doing some fear-mongering when they talk about US impacts. Florida rightfully declared a state of emergency because of the power of the storm and chance they'll be hit compared to other places.

Edit: Shouldn't talk about USVI without Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, BVI, Leeward Islands, and more which will all almost definitely be hit. Cuba is most likely also going to be hit with South Florida next likely.

Last edited:
Here is a funny, but accurate picture I've seen floating around my FB feed :yh:

FJl2gqS.jpg

-Alex

diachi

Yes, and it's honestly still too early to really tell where Irma will end up past the Bahamas and USVI. The media is doing some fear-mongering when they talk about US impacts. Florida rightfully declared a state of emergency because of the power of the storm and chance they'll be hit compared to other places.

With any luck it'll weaken, but the waters are rather hot out there by Florida just now... :eek:

Certainly wouldn't be sticking around if I were there and had the option of leaving...

0tppcCR.gif

Last edited:

Rivem

Certainly wouldn't be sticking around if I were there and had the option of leaving...

Definitely. At this point, the islands would probably only weaken it to Cat 4 in the best case scenario if it's going to hit Florida. Considering what just happened, people really can't expect a full rescue response, so people in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina's coastal and low-lying areas should really at least make preliminary evacuation plans so that as many people can get out as possible if the storm does head that way.

Hopefully all the islanders can at least head to high ground with sturdy shelters.

Cat 5 is definitely a scary storm considering how unprecedented Harvey was at Cat 4.

diachi

Definitely. At this point, the islands would probably only weaken it to Cat 4 in the best case scenario if it's going to hit Florida. Considering what just happened, people really can't expect a full rescue response, so people in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina's coastal and low-lying areas should really at least make preliminary evacuation plans so that as many people can get out as possible if the storm does head that way.

Hopefully all the islanders can at least head to high ground with sturdy shelters.

Cat 5 is definitely a scary storm considering how unprecedented Harvey was at Cat 4.

I've seen some predictions saying that the pressure will be ~900mbar at landfall. In for quite the ride if that turns out to be accurate. Too soon to say really though.

Accurate. :p

Rivem

This video is making the rounds on my social media:

It's supposedly Irma making landfall on Barbuda.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I was just looking through some pics on imgur, and came across this solution to the irma hurricane problem. :D

One of the comments on it stated - "Should have done this last week!"

cWqUhbi.jpg

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
This video is making the rounds on my social media:

It's supposedly Irma making landfall on Barbuda.

Man that is scary to see. Apparently Barbuda too a direct hit. Unbelievable, winds nearly 300km/h.

It appears that Saint Martin (home of the famous beach with the airport right beside it) is also going to be very close to a direct hit.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Oh! Didn't watch that video earlier.
Now that is scary. Anyone in its path please prepare yourself and even better evacuate.