Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Howdy!

MikeSD

Thought I already posted here. Guess not.

I was directed here by two sources. DTR and Survival Laser.

I became interested in lasers, when I got into night vision. I have a long interest in firearms and weapons and recently got into night vision. I have, as part of my night vision, both green laser and IR laser.

I began looking into higher power IR lasers and found a limit on what I could get commercially. I currently have a 0.7mW IR laser. I wanted something much more powerful (Yeah, I know about the danger). I have safety glasses and understand the danger of working with IR. But hey, firearms are dangerous too. "Danger" has never bothered me. I always try to learn as much as I can, before I jump in.

So, I started with visible lasers. I have a blue 2W, and a green 700mW on the way, as well as a 500mW IR laser diode on the way.

After I become familiar with the process of assembling the parts, I will venture into the IR world.

BTW, I don't really have any use for IR other than it's part of Night Vision and I love taking photos and videos using NV. So, I get to blend several of my hobbies (Jeeping, firearms, and photography).

That's about it, other than having a wife of 48 years, who still doesn't understand why I spend $10K on cameras, $6 on Night Vision, $80K on Jeeps and $50K on firearm stuff. But I think most wives are like that.

PS: I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and have been a design engineer for over 40 years. I just find a good first place to start any project is to see what others have done. No use in reinventing the wheel, as it were.

Last edited:

MikeSD

Welcome!

Cool avatar :D

-Alex

Thanks, love Jeeps

Red: 2009 Rubicon (2 door)
Silver: 2008 Rubicon Unlimited

Sold the Silver one last summer and regret it. Now looking for an unlimited 2012 or 2013, to replace it. This is what it looked like. Put $25K in mods in 2014.

after-3x.jpg

Reactions: GSS
Hi MikeSD :wave:

Welcome to the forum.
Dang, only $6 on night vision?!?
There is an over abundance of darn coyotes around here and the night vision scope I would love to get is almost $4000 :(

Hello and Welcome.
I love off-roading myself, but my back doesn't anymore, no more dirt bikes for me.
I'm sure you have seen these rock bouncers, these guys have some fun.
Is that LSX music or what?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, so relieved you are legit! Most new members don't have as much understanding as you already do, unless they come over from another laser forum.

MikeSD

Hello and Welcome.
I love off-roading myself, but my back doesn't anymore, no more dirt bikes for me.
I'm sure you have seen these rock bouncers, these guys have some fun.
Is that LSX music or what?

I've been considering getting one of the Polaris RZR Turbos, for a couple of years. Not quite as aggressive as the one in the video perhaps but fun nonetheless. Great video! They have finally made it possible to make them street legal in WA. Not that I would use one on the street, but on forest roads, you have to be street legal. Without that, it was illegal to use them in National Forests. I've never been hardcore off-road. More of a tourist, compared to the guy in that video. ;)

Now that street legal is possible, they are back on my list of toys. ;)

Last edited:
Your Gen 3's are nice, and those are totally passive unless you use the illuminator, however now that flir sights are becoming common although not cheap being passive isn't enough to hide in the dark, but I have seen thermal blankets in videos being used with good results, maybe the new ghillie suits will have thermal blocking sewn in?

Of course bear don't see thermal.....

MikeSD

however now that flir sights are becoming common.

One of those is on my toy list. I'm trying to decide if I want one for weapon mounting or helicopter mounting.

There is a new DJI FLIR camera coming, that mounts on my Inspire 1 PRO. I haven't seen the price on that sucker but it's nice. Allows flying a drone in total darkness. ;)

Last edited:
Hi And Welcome,
Love that Rubicon that's sweet ,I have a 2010 H3T Hummer pick up they made it one year. Full size bed with a Diamond back welded Aluminum diamond plate cover Kevlar coated. It holds 1600 lbs of load on top.
When you get your NDG700 diode if you run it at 2.4A's it will put out over 1100mW's easy with great heat sinking, I'm running my two 700's like that wait till you see how bright the 520 is compared to a 455 or 450 nm diode. Man your going to love this.
Oh by the way my wife is no different from yours .I been collecting firearms since e i was 20 years old thats 37 years. I had my first Marlin bolt action Goose gun when i was 12 was taller than i.
Now i have built over 40 lasers since i started. Yes they will never understand us Buddy.

Rich:)

Teej

Welcome to a fellow off roader!

BTW - Have you seen the color NV?

Its sweet!

MikeSD

Welcome to a fellow off roader!

BTW - Have you seen the color NV?

Its sweet!

Bet that's a pretty penny. I have to avoid looking, to avoid buying. Hard to pass up something I like. I love lever guns. I was in my favorite toy store and spotted these 1948 and 1950, Winchesters. Now they are mine. ;)

Pre64-94-1x.jpg

Last edited: