Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How would I make a cheap laser?

Okay laser enthusiasts... I wanna know how to make a cheap but effective laser, preferably with things I can buy at my local hardware and science accessories store. Right now I have a pretty nice 8 inch rubber grip flashlight, an old DVD player, some batteries and stuff.. Obviously I will need more but I guess this is a start. I looked at some of KipKay's stuff, while granted its nice, I prefer not to order 100 dollars worth of accessories + shipping from ebay. Not really my definition of cheap... :p

Sorry to say but $100 is cheap for a laser that's done properly. You will need at least $50+ in parts to build a laser that isn't going to be junk. Have you looked into the many tutorials and information stickies/threads in the forum?

kipkay stuff is BAD.... however, if you want a cheap laser just order one from rayfoss, o-like, or any of the other good companies.

You can build everything except the diode. One from a DVD player is not going to very powerfull. You need an DVD burner diode.
I not saying that the player one won't work ,its just if your going to make a laser, why make one only as powerful as you can buy at Wal-Mart for $10.00

Slight understatement but you know what I mean.

One of the easiest sites for building your own driver is:

It can be done - Laser driver

I build my first driver, swiveling between my desk and looking at this site.
The driver shown here works very well and is a - + protected driver. Total cost each from Radioshack is $4.00.>(components need to be bought in bulk)
It's disadvantages are; not very efficient (eats batteries), need cooling (fan) at higher currents,
and of course, it's size.
Make sure you have a good heat sink for your diode. You can make one with a Drill/Bits & Dremel tool. Not easy but it can be done.
The rest is simple, connect to switch, then batteries,stuff inside flashlight.LOL

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

Kipkay is a moron, ignore him you will thank us for it in the end.

mat.jpg

I have included a handy guide to assist you in finding what you need. ;)

search.gif

Hey thanks for the replies, will look into some of them tomorrow when I have time during day.. And why is KipKay an idiot may I ask?

Because he always claims to be the First This and the First That which
more often than not is an outright lie..... as well as being Laser Safety illiterate...

Jerry

That "Laser Flashlight Hack" will likely result in a fried laser diode because of no regulation.

If you want cheap, it's cheaper just to buy a laser than build one these days. Check DealExtreme for a $30 200mW red laser.

Screw Deal Extreme AND Wicked Lazors (overpriced anyway imo). I am in the US (represent), and they wont ship anything over 5mw. 5 FRICKIN MW <----- LoL. I cant believe those companies just wont go like covert and say its a bunny rabbit with 5mw laser eyes. Who in the hell would be the wiser? The government?! OH NOES, methinks they rip my package open and play with my lazar! Nawt...

Last edited:

1Nick

you'll need a dvd burner, not a dvd player. usually the laser diodes in there are about 200mw reds. try your best to extract that laser diode and go to mfgcn.com and order the 5mw laser unit for about $5. once the order comes in, replace the 5mw laser diode with the 200mw laser diode that you extracted earlier. use 2 AA batteries and you have yourself a powerful burning laser! mfgcn.com doesn't seem like a professional site when you enter it, but i have ordered from them before and i am extremely satisfied with them. they will usually ship your order the next day and i think they're settled in Houston, texas.

you'll need a dvd burner, not a dvd player. usually the laser diodes in there are about 200mw reds. try your best to extract that laser diode and go to mfgcn.com and order the 5mw laser unit for about $5. once the order comes in, replace the 5mw laser diode with the 200mw laser diode that you extracted earlier. use 2 AA batteries and you have yourself a powerful burning laser! mfgcn.com doesn't seem like a professional site when you enter it, but i have ordered from them before and i am extremely satisfied with them. they will usually ship your order the next day and i think they're settled in Houston, texas.

LOL thanks, just two simple questions here, Nick. First off, where would I obtain a cheap azz DVD burner? Could I find one that doesnt "work" anymore in a junkyard or something? I imagine the diode is still fine right? Or maybe I could check out a used computer part store?..............Second, how would I "replace" said diode? I wouldnt want to mess it up, is it as simple as just taking the top part off and taking out the diode? Forgive me, 'first timer' :crackup:

1Nick

LOL thanks, just two simple questions here, Nick. First off, where would I obtain a cheap azz DVD burner? Could I find one that doesnt "work" anymore in a junkyard or something? I imagine the diode is still fine right? Or maybe I could check out a used computer part store?..............Second, how would I "replace" said diode? I wouldnt want to mess it up, is it as simple as just taking the top part off and taking out the diode? Forgive me, 'first timer' :crackup:
haha, no prob. i guess you can call me a first timer too :p
well, you can order a dvd burner online for about $25 here: Newegg - DVD Burner. you can also try to salvage it from somewhere else, just use your imagination as to where. i was able to salvage mine from an old, broken computer. with the advancing computer technology, individual dvd burners are becoming un-needed and become cheaper. For extracting the laser diode, just gently pull it out with a small pair of pliers. you dont need to be that careful, unless you want to save the cheap 5mw diode.

I actually thought about doing this one

Laser Flashlight Hack!!

whoa, thats almost exactly like what i did, what the hell!? :wtf::eek:

Last edited:
lol, only thing about that is I dont have the knowhow to solder that stuff. I dont even have a soldering iron! OMG!

1Nick

lol, only thing about that is I dont have the knowhow to solder that stuff. I dont even have a soldering iron! OMG!

haha, its easy to solder once you get used to it. just buy one. got solder wire that contains FLUX. it sticks to the metal better. you also gotta heat the metal that you're about to solder for a couple of seconds with the soldering iron before you actually begin. dont breathe in the fumes either!