Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to secure diode pins?

Jayrob once recommended using the wire from an old usb mouse. From one mouse you get a fair bit of it, I think five strands inside if I remember correctly. It's very flexible and works well for me.

Benm

Using flexible wire is good. Whats even better is when you are using the whole aixiz module: just make a coupe of knots in the wiring such that it cannot be pulled through the hole of the back piece. You can yank on that has hard as you wish, the only thing that will eventualy break is the wire itself.

As for hot glue: It will hold, but its pretty useles. It will protect the wires against bending forces, but not very well against pulling forces. Try putting a blob of hotmelt glue on some surface and stick a wire into it... you'll see it will be very easy to yank out even after the glue has set/cooled completely.

Scavenging for wires from old/dead electronics is OK, but flaminpyro's wire is AMAZING. Either way, a high gauge, stranded wire is a must for soldering to diodes.

i would suggest against jb weld.
The laser would never come out, also i think jb weld is somewhat conductive if i remember right it has powdered aluminum in it.
If you ever have any old pc cases the wiring used to go from your front panel to your mother board is great wiring they are normally gray with the wires inside.
Best place for cheap wiring is pc graveyards/ recycling center they let me take as much as i could in a box for 10$ as long as it was just cables.
(bring a pair of clippers.)
I have used solid core wire but only for my lab builds as they wont be moved around inside much.
or for a quick fix the wire of 9 volt adapters is great wire but expensive way to get wire but works well in a pinch.

I use jweld on lenses and to reinforce pins. The conductivity isn't a problem because it's somewhere around a couple megaohm/cm.

I don't use pastes or epoxies except when absolutely necessary. Usually only if I want a permanent fixture. I never use permanent adhesives near or on diodes or drivers.

If I do use anything over a diode, it is a little bit of silicone thermal adhesive to increase thermal conductivity in current hungry diodes. It is easily removable and not electrically conductive. It is also rigid enough when it dries to keep things locked in place.

well it depends on how you mix it and if you feel lucky.
You can over mix it and have a higher concentration also it could have more in a certain spot.
my advise dont use anything rated as conductive to hold positive and negative leads.

i guess my problem guys was that i was using solid wire, which leaded me to breaking the pins

Benm

Sure thing - braided wire is preferred for connecting fragile components.

The best way is sorting that the wire cannot be pulled out from the moduke though...