Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to get started on LEDs

Alright, I'm glad to see this section up and running! I think LEDs are awesome, and have LOTs of potential. I need to know where to get started though... I think you LPFers can help me out!

what are some specific terms I should get to know when working with various LEDs?

Where are some good places to read up on LEDs? Their types, names, special features, needs.. (Not CPF please)

What is a good starter project with high power emitters?

Any special equipment/tools I should look at picking up, that differs from what I use to build lasers?

Looking forward to getting started all, thanks!

TTerbo

Mabe make an LED flasher circuit. very easy and there are multiple ones on the web.
with standard LEDs you dont really need to be as carefull as LDs.
its good to read up on the voltage of you LEDs before you use them some are 1.5v and some are 3v etc. i use a mini snap lock pliers as a heatsink while soldering for extra precurtions.
hmm what else um.....the longest lead is the positive lead. hope this kinda helped(somehow)
cheers

EDIT:550th POST !!!

Just a quick note- if you plan on running the LEDs for extended periods they will need a driver, as they have a positive void coefficent (wrong term,I know)

They're a lot less sensitive than LDs, but still need regulated current.

Wiki has a neat little primer on LEDs:
Light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm always impressed by the multi-watt emitters and their blinding outputs. You see those more and more on concert stages, as the consume less power and a so much more convenient than incandescent floods.

There used to be a great website reviewing all things LED at: WWW.LEDMUSEUM.ORG * THE LED MUSEUM - Reviews of LEDs & LED Flashlights - Gallium Indium Nitride UV, violet, purple, blue, aqua, turquoise, green, white. Also Gallium Arsenide and others. New LED MUSEUM! GaN, InGaN, SiC, GaAs, GaP, GaAlP, ZnSe, LED fl
But the owner abandoned it some time ago sadly.

Robert

Just remember.... They are Current Devices and need to
have the current supplied to them regulated... just like
Laser Diodes.
But LEDs are much less sensitive to ESD ...

Jerry

Make a PWM with a 555 circuit, great for starters.

If you want an even easier one, get a 4093 (quad nand gate with schmitt trigger) and blink an LED, learn to calculate C and R.

Things

LED's can withstand a lot more abuse than laser diodes, as they don't have a cavity or mirrors to burn out. Although if you are doing a professional setup with them, you should use resistors, just so if one dies, the rest don't draw all the current, but for hobbyist stuff most LED's are OK. The big expensive ones like the SSC P7, you will need some sort of current regulator on that to stop a single die from burning, then the rest failing behind it.

It might be helpful to have some info about how to read a spec sheet.

LED Resistor Calculator

The calculator has helped me build some stable circuits that don't toast the LEDs.

ebay is your friend. Buy bags of parts there really cheap.

If you want to play around with computer control of LEDs, the Arduino is a great place to start. It's about $30 per unit and each has lots of 5 volt programmable I/O's that work well with LEDS.

Steve