Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to: Extract diode from LPC-815 sled

Hi there,

I bought some sleds from jake21 (2xLPC-815), and this is a "tutorial" on how I extracted the diode(s). Hope you learn something from this to help you on your way if you[ch8217]re new to this, as I am.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

1. Here[ch8217]s the package with the sled as I got it.

sled1xq8.jpg

- - -

2. Tools needed are: One screwdriver, one clamp plier (right word? No idea. Leatherman :p), and also one scissor.

tools1kv7.jpg

- - -

3. Here[ch8217]s a better view of the front and the back. Remove all the screws you can see on both sides.

front1gi6.jpg

-

back1xi3.jpg

-

screw1ts9.jpg

-

screw2pr9.jpg

- - -

4. Now you will remove the top focusing lens. Easily done when you have removed all the screws, and gently use your Leatherman to break if off.
You aren[ch8217]t breaking it; you[ch8217]re just breaking it loose from the glue. Then cut the cable connected to it.

focuslense1pd1.jpg

-

cut1mc7.jpg

- - -

5. Now unscrew this one too, if you forgot. (Like I did). Or you can cut the cables.

screw3tm0.jpg

- - -

6. Now you can easily bend of the back plate and remove it.

bend1ig7.jpg

- - -

7. Here[ch8217]s an overview of what you see now. You can see all the optics that you can remove later, and the two diodes you want. The red open can that you[ch8217]re after is the one to the right in the second picture.

overview1ry3.jpg

-

overview2wv2.jpg

-

optics1gr8.jpg

- - -

8. Well, let[ch8217]s get the rest of the stuff of and prepare it for the final steps.
You will have to cut 3 cables. One to each diode and one to a small circuit board on top.

cut2in3.jpg

-

cut3at6.jpg

-

cut4od7.jpg

- - -

9. Now remove the main circuit board easily.

remove1ic8.jpg

- - -

10. Now you will remove the two diodes. The one on the right is still your open can red that you want.
To do this, use your Leatherman to break it off. Be careful here, as you don[ch8217]t want to ruin your diode. It should come off quite easily if you grip it good and break it downwards until it pops off.
The second (ir diode) can be a little bit harder, just get a good grip and it will get off without any pain.

extract1zy5.jpg

-

extracting2mf9.jpg

-

extraction3mk1.jpg

-

extracting4bb5.jpg

-

extraction5bz8.jpg

- - -

11. These are the parts you[ch8217]re left with now. And you[ch8217]re done with the sled for now. You can use the mirrors and lenses on the sled for other stuff, so you should get these off too.

parts1bi9.jpg

- - -

12. Now you have to remove the open can diode from the heat sink. There are several ways to do this, but this worked great for me. Use your Leatherman, and grip the top solid part of the diode and the bottom part of the heat sink. If you squeeze now the diode will loosen and get out. REMEMBER: it[ch8217]s an open can, and is easy to damage. Be careful not to place the Leatherman on any important parts of the diode, and only let it touch the solid side of the diode as illustrated.

Also note, that on the second picture here, I had to grip a little bit too much to be able to hold it when taking the picture. This works, but can be dangerous for the diode. You should grip it a little bit more to the left (back) to be on the safe side.

diode1li3.jpg

-

diode2rn8.jpg

-

diode3ed3.jpg

-

diode4wg7.jpg

- - -

13. Here[ch8217]s the diode extracted.
NOTE: Here I did a stupid thing. I didn[ch8217]t clamp it hard enough, and tried to pull it out by the connections. This is not a smart thing to do, so do not do this. :cool: I think the diode survived, but the first one got out easily and in one whole piece. The diode should come out easily as described, and you do not have to pull it by the connections. ::)

diode5if3.jpg

- - -

14. Here are some close-ups of the diode, and other random images from the extraction. Enjoy!

macro1uv8.jpg

-

macro2go7.jpg

I noticed the details on my finger when I took the previous picture, and took another shot of my finger to see it better. Kind of neat to get that kind of macro for only 9$. The whole finger is the max zoom with my standard lens at 55mm, and the close-up is with the macro adapter added (9$ at DealExtreme.com).

random1xg6.jpg

Sorry if this was too many pictures and stuff, but I had fun taking them, and thought I would share it with you guys.

Ace82

Nice shots! :eek:

But, I was taught not to push the diode out from the front... :-/ I suppose you have confirmed this though right? It seems like high risk for damage. :-/

Thanks for the comments =)

About pushing out like I did: I'm a beginner myself, so I could be very wrong about that part. But for me it worked great. What I did wrong, was bein unpatient as I couldnt push it all the way out the second time, and I started to drag it by the connectors. THATS not a smart thing, but I stated that in my post ^^
But my first attempt worked smooth. It loosened and fell out quite easily. But I dont know whats the best way.

At that stage you could do whatever suits you best. SOme break the heat sink in half (which I find more risky than what I did (or was supposed to do)) and some cut it of with a dremel tool... Probably many other ways =) Please feel free to post additional methodes to extract the diode from the heat sink here if you want to share it =)

Ace82

I actually use a small fine file, and slowly file away the soft aluminum. It takes about 1 min of filing on one side, and once you see you've made a complete slice on one side, then using two pliers I just pull it apart just a little and the diode either remains in where you can pull it out with your finger or drops out.

Very nice guide Ive been looking for something like this. And how did you do the macro shots they are very nice.

Hey :)

I use a Nikon D40 .. Bought it a couple of years back. Great camera for the price, and a lot of fun :)
And sorry for breaking one of the diodes I got from you ^^ Told you I needed one mounted inside that aixis module.. :p Anyways, I learned the hard way. The first looks like its in perfect condition, and the second still have both the "wires" connected. It might still work :)

btw: what are the pins inside used for? Nothing? (by nothing, I mean nothing more than transfering the power to the piece in the middle where the wires are connected). If thats right, then it will still work. :)

Are you using the kit lens? I got some of those macro lenses but man that 8x really distorts things.

I use the standard kit-lense, yes :) No macro "lense" here, only the macro adapter thingy that I bought from DealExtreme.. :) It's a great buy, if you have enough light on the object.