Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How To Do It ?

Hi Folks ,

In reference to these two photos of one of my module, DPSS 5.5 W powered-dc 220v 12v 5A , there is a way to disassemble it and turn it into a laser pointer from 5.5 W cap and battery ?
The laser diode is a Nichia ,which I believe is the series Numb44

69kug2.jpg

zugn75.jpg

Hi,
If its a NUBM44 you can use a diode extractor press to get the diode out of the sink its in. Then just press it into a 12mm module and apply the SXD or Black buck 6 driver done.

Rich:)

It's definitely not a DPSS laser. I wonder if it is 5.5 watts either looking at the small housing for the diode. What is the wavelength of this laser? What diode is it using? Please give more information on it.

Encap

Hi Folks ,

In reference to these two photos of one of my module, DPSS 5.5 W powered-dc 220v 12v 5A , there is a way to disassemble it and turn it into a laser pointer from 5.5 W cap and battery ?
The laser diode is a Nichia ,which I believe is the series Numb44

There is no such thing as a DPSS diode except in an imaginary daydream world.

A 5.5W DPSS laser of any wavelength in that nothing $2 module would not be possible--- is a daydream within a daydream.
The lasers of your imaginings can only exist as imaginngs--only exist in your imagination/mind's eye--not the real world---as has been explained to you before already.

Take some time and learn about the subject you are asking about.
You ask many questions about lasers and laser related things that only can exist in your imagination.
Nobody can give you any help or real answers because your question is based on a fictional laser that exhibits properties no laser in the real world exhibts. There as no reality associated with or possible with what you are asking about an imaginary world laser that does not exist and does not exhibt properties any real lasers in the real world exhibits.

To understand more about what a DPSS laser is see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode-pumped_solid-state_laser

To understand more about what a what a direct diode laser is see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_diode

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

BobMc

It is possible to use the diode in a pointer. But you'd have to extract it, and use a different driver.

Does the unit work the way it is ?

Specifications :
Wavelength 445nm (blue)
Optical Power: 5.5 W (5500mw)
Supply Voltage : 12V DC
Operating Current : >2A
Shape : Point
Lens : G2
Cooling : Forced
Air Body Material : Aluminum, Anodized Black
Power supply Connector : The Classic Power Jack 5.5/2.1 mm

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Hi,
If its a NUBM44 you can use a diode extractor press to get the diode out of the sink its in. Then just press it into a 12mm module and apply the SXD or Black buck 6 driver done.

Rich:)
Follow the basic advice here given by Rich. BTW the voltage/current you have specified is the input the the driver already on it. Just extract the diode module with the driver in tact and then power with two or three li-ions in series.

3x26650 3.7V - 5000mAh in series ? are 11.1V we're very down still ? You should not be getting 12V ?

Most of these NUBM44 diodes are driven at 4.5 to 5 amps current. With a buck driver, two 266650 batteries will work and give you a reasonable length of time between charges. You will want to use a different driver for this diode in a pointer and you will want to use a large mass of heat sinking to wick away the huge amount of waste heat. If you wish to have longer intervals between charges, you can use three 26650s. I would do as suggested and get the driver and new module from DTR's webpage. That is a TO-5 case diode so you will need a copper 9 mm module for it. Make sure you are able to press it into the module as it usually goes better with a diode press, also available on DTR's webpage. Good luck with your new pointer.

Thanks to you both ! in practice,
I would simply cut the excess aluminum of the module ,and leave it in the aluminum tube where there is embedded the diode and the wires + and - and create a laser pointer-diameter very large (3x26650)
Of the size of the torch Ultrafire that has utilized Jordan for its "Menace" 3W !

Specifications :
Wavelength 445nm (blue)
Optical Power: 5.5 W (5500mw)
Supply Voltage : 12V DC
Operating Current : >2A
Shape : Point
Lens : G2
Cooling : Forced
Air Body Material : Aluminum, Anodized Black
Power supply Connector : The Classic Power Jack 5.5/2.1 mm

If this is one of those Laser Engravers from Ebay Etc. It will be quite a bit below the advertised output. The 2 Watt I bought outputs 1.4 Watts.

If this is one of those Laser Engravers from Ebay Etc. It will be quite a bit below the advertised output. The 2 Watt I bought outputs 1.4 Watts.

Then they are good 3x26650 -5000mAh ? According to you, in the face of 5.5 W how much will it be in reality ?