Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to Build a Laser Pen - Featuring M462

Last I checked a few months ago Laser66 does not have these pens anymore, only some badly anodised leftovers, There was an option to purchase in bulk with Laser66!

Nice build mate!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
If I'm looking correctly, it looks like they may have the chrome pen hosts back in stock again as of July, and maybe a few black ones also.

Looks like $11.00 ea. for the chrome hosts.

Laser66

Is the module part of the negative leg?

Sorry I missed your question before.
Yes, I connected the case pin to the negative output pad on the driver on the opposite side that the negative diode pin is soldered to.
It effectively makes the build case negative.

Very comprehensive. Nice job.

Thanks!

Makes far more sense to wire to the switch.

Yes, I think it's much better this way. The thing I didn't mention is that because the tolerances of the module are less than perfect, there is some overhang of the copper part on one side or the other relative to the aluminum back which allows a pretty tight press-fit by hand. This makes it easy to remove if necessary but won't come out unless you want it to.

Last I checked a few months ago Laser66 does not have these pens anymore, only some badly anodised leftovers, There was an option to purchase in bulk with Laser66!

Nice build mate!

They are back in stock.
I emailed will when I returned from fieldwork this summer and he told me he got another batch in. I bought several just to make sure my pen needs were satisfied. I might pick up a few extras in case the supply runs dry again. It's not a bad idea considering how spotty supply for our things can be (drivers, hosts, other specialty items...).

Oh, yeah, I added some photos to the second post. Just a few - you've all seen the pen host before so it doesn't look any different.
I still need to send those plans to you, Rich... I'll get around to it.

Last edited:
I wonder how many amps that little switch can take. Anyone know?

Enough.
My internet connection is a bit flaky right now so I can't check the ratings of similar switches.
They hold up just fine for high power builds. I've made pens like this with >1W 445s and a 600mW-ish 405.
If that's what you have in mind, be aware that it will run hot after a few seconds of sustained output.

Edit:

DigiKey has a bunch of similar switches and they report the ratings as 0.05A 24VDC or somewhere around there.

Last edited:
Those long white button switches are better than the black tactile switches, but can't say where the failure rate would be.

Just like any small EDC with minimal heatsinking, would get warm fast, but seems that's what most people want right know and gold plated even better!