Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How often and why do new wave lengths get released?

From my understanding the laser hobby world gets the benefit of new and different powered lasers modules and diodes from other varying intended applications. I am very interested in 472-480 ice blue and 589nm yellow. What are the chances these will be made and released to the public anytime soon in decently powered diodes? How difficult is it for companies to create new diodes and wave length's? I know Dragon lasers offers a nice yellow handheld but where are they getting these diodes to make them? Do companies release new laser diodes and wave lengths pretty regularly.

I know that many of the blues and reds are intended for digital projectors and cd/dvd technology ext but does anyone know what were the following diodes created for?
520nm
462nm

Last edited:

Re: How often and why do new WL's get released?

WL will not release those as they soon will start not be allowed after new year send any lasers above 5mW to US, others produce rare wavelength lasers like 473 and yellow, its all about demand and some wavelengths are harder to produce then others so the price is higher thus lower demand.

Re: How often and why do new WL's get released?

WL will not release those as they soon will start not be allowed after new year send any lasers above 5mW to US, others produce rare wavelength lasers like 473 and yellow, its all about demand and some wavelengths are harder to produce then others so the price is higher thus lower demand.

I meant wave length not Wicked lasers. Sorry for the confusion I will edit my Op.

Encap

Would guess 520nm green and 462nm blue were created for projectors.

473 and 589nm are not created directly by diodes they are DPSS lasers as are 532nm using 808nm diode to pump a crystal system the creates the desired wavelength. To understand the process see: ee: Diode-pumped solid-state laser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no chance WL is going to make 473nm or 589nm as they would be expensive and they are limiting all sales to USA to 5mW or less beginning 1 Jan 2015

If you want a 473nm JetLasers makes two: 473nm dpss blue lasers at 30mW, 50mW, 80mW - Jetlasers.org, Online Shop for Jetlasers Products.

Only CNI makes 589nm---is a difficult DPSS laser to make---that is where Dragon buys them for resale--Dragon does not actually make anything.

Last edited:
It's a lot about supply and demand, unfortunately for us we (hobbyists) don't create much demand. Soo we really only get the hand-me-downs ie. from video projectors, DVD/Blu-Ray burners, and sometimes "second hand" (like Techhood) etc.
For new wavelengths I think it is also significantly about demand, a corporation is only going to research and manufacture something that there is a demand for, and that they can make $ on.

Last edited:
470-480 diodes exist. Not cheap, and probably wont get any cheaper, as they still cost less than their sensitive solid state counterparts. Yellow diodes wont exist. Theres no semiconductor material that fills the gap between green/blue and red, to put it simply.

470-480 diodes exist. Not cheap, and probably wont get any cheaper, as they still cost less than their sensitive solid state counterparts. Yellow diodes wont exist. Theres no semiconductor material that fills the gap between green/blue and red, to put it simply.

Hope nobody minds if I'm honest about my opinion. :angel: :whistle:

But I'm pretty curtain that eventually a whole lot of things we thought/think are impossible might happen.
We/I didn't ever think green diodes would be possible a few years ago, but there they are.
I think the same think may be true with "yellow" diodes, assuming there is a reasonable application for them, like in spectroscopy etc.
That's not to say I have any more of an idea than anyone else does as to how soon.:san:

I've been thinking about "yellow" diodes, so that's kinda why I said this^, 520nm is "only" 50nm from 570nm (I think 570nm is about the very beginning of "yellow". I think:)) if you count that researchers made ~535nm that makes the difference "only" 35nm. and taking into account other research developments the nanometer gap may be closing.

Just note that this is only my opinion, and I'm not the most educated or in-the-know person either.

Last edited:
Frankly not much that even ALL us together makes any difference.

IMO you can forget ever getting cheap yellow or orange.
Being better/cheaper Kasio made those 445 dd happen as they use no pump (like yellow does)

None use red laser= KASIO in their frist used a very hot red LED-
and the green was made by a wheel that phloressed green when hit with blue=
BenQ has gone one better by having a phosphor wheel that makes both the green and red from blue lasers.

Now there are pico PJs very tiny and IIRC some of those have red lasers inside.

when a 'better wheel' is invented the old one goes out of use- & we gain from that.

An OLD DNA Squencer has a huge fan cooled gas argon laser-40+ pounds of 'stuff' Then those where replaced by relatively small 473 DPSS lasers- and now they will get replaced by a blue diode laser.

We are blessed with some great minds here and they are not holding back on the info.
OTHER laser forums come to LPF to learn of new finds..
so say TY and give a plus bump to ARG- DTR-Cypra-RT- and many more--

best wishes for all in 2015

Last edited:
You can buy 473nm and 488nm diodes right now if you have a couple thousand $ to spare. I think those are the most likely to hit the hobbyist market in the near future, but that's just a guess.

If you want to have a taste of the diodes that exist look here - don't look at the price tags if you don't want to faint ;)

I think there's also a reasonable chance of higher WL greens (around 530-535), as those would better match the sRGB standard for projectors.

Chance of yellow diodes is slim, at least for now. Can't think of any "final consumer" applications to justify the research to find new diode materials.

gozert

I guess I just have to become a millionaire overnight and everything will be okay :)

60mw 488nm is only 4150$, that's nothing. Imagine accidently killing the diode.

You can buy 473nm and 488nm diodes right now if you have a couple thousand $ to spare. I think those are the most likely to hit the hobbyist market in the near future, but that's just a guess.

If you want to have a taste of the diodes that exist look here - don't look at the price tags if you don't want to faint ;)

I think there's also a reasonable chance of higher WL greens (around 530-535), as those would better match the sRGB standard for projectors.

Chance of yellow diodes is slim, at least for now. Can't think of any "final consumer" applications to justify the research to find new diode materials.

Am i the only one who would like an orange laser? Something between 618 to 625 nm would be awesome.

Dont even see those wavelengths on that website, the lowest red is only 633nm, which isnt really a big difference to 636, plus the 633 isnt that expensive either.

gozert

Am i the only one who would like an orange laser? Something between 618 to 625 nm would be awesome.

Dont even see those wavelengths on that website, the lowest red is only 633nm, which isnt really a big difference to 636, plus the 633 isnt that expensive either.

Well 593.5nm is quite orange. Expensive as hell though.

Well 593.5nm is quite orange. Expensive as hell though.

Im not going to argue about 593 being a nice color but id rather take that as a really nice yellow, that i would want, too, if it wasnt that expensive but id rather go with something more orange-ish for an orange laser. :D

Last edited:
Im not going to argue about 593 being a nice color but id rather take that as a really nice yellow, that i would want, too, if it wasnt that expensive but id rather go with something more orange-ish for an orange laser. :D

I love my 593.5, most likely will hold on to it until it's last breath. In terms of more orange lasers there aren't many cheap choices. You have 594.1nm and I believe after that you get 604nm/607nm & the all mighty 612nm, unfortunately getting one of those requires a good amount of cash:D

-Alex

I love my 593.5, most likely will hold on to it until it's last breath. In terms of more orange lasers there aren't many cheap choices. You have 594.1nm and I believe after that you get 604nm/607nm & the all mighty 612nm, unfortunately getting one of those requires a good amount of cash:D

-Alex

Oh, i just saw some HeNe lasers, but there arent any other forms of orange lasers, i guess?
Because id prefer handhelds. :p

Ill probably never own one, im just curious because you allways see all those different colors, except for orange, even yellow exists.

You can always cool a 638nm diode with liquid nitrogen to get orange. Might be able to build that into a handheld that runs for a minute before needing more LN2 ;)