Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much will a star effects adapter reduce danger to eyesight?

Wornbill

Greetings. First post to what looks like a good, useful site.
I'm thinking of getting a Samwu Guardian. 520mw and wonder how much the threat to eyesight is reduced once you start dividing the beam with an effects adapter. I'd guess it would at least be proportional to the number of beam splits. But at what point do they become relatively harmless, if they ever do? Thanks.

Contacted Samwu:
Dear customer,

The diffracted beams are mostly safe to eyesight even on full power and the beam is barely visible on lower power mode.

Best Regards,
Francis from Sanwulasers

Last edited:

julianthedragon

The answer depends on the power of the laser to begin with, and in a way the star effect makes it more dangerous since the beams go all over the place. 5mw and below for each beam is considered safe in general, but you can get away with a bit higher. The setting matters too, if you use the laser with the star cap indoors where it can reflect or bounce of white walls, it's going to be very dangerous, but if you shine it into a large open space outside, it's a bit safer for you the operator of the laser. Just don't shine it at any people/buildings/vehicles. You mean 520nm not 520mw right?

Wornbill

Thanks for your response. My fears are sorta confirmed. Let me put it this way: are you aware of any pointers on the Samwu site that would not be dangerous with a star effects adapter attached? Say I'm in the backyard with friends and family on a Friday night. We've had some beer. Does everyone need eye protection?

There is no safe way for a laser ignorant person to operate a laser based on this and/or that combination, there are other factors.

Although the many beams created by the double diffraction grating twist to operate " star caps " are all typically under 5mw when used with say a 100mw 520nm hand held laser, the distraction hazard is still present, so just because you wouldn't need laser safety glasses for the many sub 5mw beams, you still can't point a laser at people, vehicles/aircraft, windows, ect....

Also excessive drinking and lasers .......do I really need to say it ?

You technically need a license or a variance to put on a laser display for an audience, however it's usually not enforced for small venues, however if you don't understand how diffraction gratings work well enough to explain them to the drama seeking Karens at your backyard beer party, then you likely shouldn't be using them around other people.

Wornbill

Thanks, but where did you dig up drama seeking Karens? Beer = Karens? Should we switch to wine? And it will not be excessive, unless you're an advocate of abstinence...

If it's people you know then attach your stars cap and have fun, no safety glasses needed so long as you don't point it at anyone or at anything that can produce a specular reflection, viewing the beams via. Rayleigh scattering and viewing the beams terminations upon non reflective backdrops won't hurt your eyes.

Note: If you're going to look at the termination/spot of a visible laser such as when cutting material on the bench top you need to wear protective glasses to attenuate the wavelength you're working with, however to glimpse the spot of a multi watt visible laser at several feet away ( on a non reflective surface ) is ok and to watch the spots from a star cap swirl around in your yard is no problem as long as there's nothing reflective.

Last edited:
The question has too many variables to answer precisely. At best only a very rough estimate can be given which you hinted at How many beams does a diffraction grating create? That's one of the variables.

LSRFAQ

The Zeroth order beam is almost never under 5 mW. The only way to know is to buy a expensive, accurately calibrated silicon photodiode based laser power meter and then install light feedback on the laser to make sure it never exceeds the design value. Did I mention the law requires it to shutdown in 200 nanoseconds or less if it goes wild? For a non-engineer, it is a lot of difficult hoops to jump through.

Edit, the Zeroth order is the beam that goes straight through a transmission grating un-altered. They all have them to varying degrees.

No go.

Steve

090calibursteph

Greetings. First post to what looks like a good, useful site.
I'm thinking of getting a Samwu Guardian. 520mw and wonder how much the threat to eyesight is reduced once you start dividing the beam with an effects adapter. I'd guess it would at least be proportional to the number of beam splits. But at what point do they become relatively harmless, if they ever do? Thanks.

Contacted Samwu:
Dear customer,

The diffracted beams are mostly safe to eyesight even on full power and the beam is barely visible on lower power mode.

Best Regards,
Francis from Sanwulasers
Depends on the type/shape of the defraction lenses you use.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
With mine I noticed that the dots closer to the center are brighter and the ones on the outer area are dimmer so they are different power levels. I would still not shine it at someone but logic would dictate that the power is spread out more but exposure is increased.

kecked

Steve’s right on the zero order beam AND if you start with a 5mw pointer and don’t point it in anyones face your fine. Even if you start with a bigger laser and don’t point it in someone’s eyes or at a reflective surface you will be fine. Trouble comes when the 12th beer kicks in and reason leaves the scene for the night. Judge your audience and put it away before that point in the evening comes. Only you know when that is. People laser pointers are not death rays Most of the time. It’s only when they get shined in peoples eyes or are ridiculous power that they are a problem. Take a minute if you have not and read up on laser safety. It’s easy reading and then you will know when your safe. Normally I’m the one jumping safety safety But yea you can make this work.