Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How many watts could i fit into a 2 foot long half inch wide "pen" housing?

Xpolygon74

Im planning on building a super long green laser pen (roughly 2 feet long) and my question is how strong of a laser could i fit into a housing of that size? And would there be any issues or problems due to a housing like this?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
With the best available green diode, roughly a watt and a half. But why?

How many watts it will hold depends on the depth factor.

2 foot long by half an inch.......so AA cells or 14440 li cells

Here's what you need to do, drop your pants and bend over a couch or similar, have a friend digitally lubricate your anal sphincter, then have them insert the 2 foot long pen as far as it will go, they can mark the final depth with their finger and thumb and measure upon removal.
** NOTE: Don't force it once it hits bottom, have your friend push with a firm action but don't force it past where it naturally stops.

Tell me the inserted length in inches or centimetres and I will apply the mathematical formula for AA cells and 14440's and tell you the wattage that will fit.

I have read that singing " moon river " during the depth test will make it go easier.

Xpolygon74

How many watts it will hold depends on the depth factor.

2 foot long by half an inch.......so AA cells or 14440 li cells

Here's what you need to do, drop your pants and bend over a couch or similar, have a friend digitally lubricate your anal sphincter, then have them insert the 2 foot long pen as far as it will go, they can mark the final depth with their finger and thumb and measure upon removal.
** NOTE: Don't force it once it hits bottom, have your friend push with a firm action but don't force it past where it naturally stops.

Tell me the inserted length in inches or centimetres and I will apply the mathematical formula for AA cells and 14440's and tell you the wattage that will fit.

I have read that singing " moon river " during the depth test will make it go easier.
Na bro now your just trolling lmao, i know it sounds a bit crazy of an idea but the length of the housing is required so it can fit the implacation im mounting it to

Xpolygon74

With the best available green diode, roughly a watt and a half. But why?
Alright thanks, and the ridiculous length of the housing is so it can fit the mechanism im mounting it too, i wont dwell much on that now, but i need this done for a project and i was hoping on getting a higher watt level, atleast 2 watts or so, theres not any green diodes greater than 1.5w? If not could i get my desired watt level through a blue diode instead?

Alright thanks, and the ridiculous length of the housing is so it can fit the mechanism im mounting it too, i wont dwell much on that now, but i need this done for a project and i was hoping on getting a higher watt level, atleast 2 watts or so, theres not any green diodes greater than 1.5w? If not could i get my desired watt level through a blue diode instead?
Blues diodes do have higher wattage. But you have not apparently considered the beam characteristics.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
What he means is that the blue beam wouldn't look any brighter. Our eyes are less sensitive to blue, so a blue beam would need to be several times the wattage of a green beam to be of equal brightness to our eyes. For a half inch diameter casing I think one diode is about the best you'll be able to do unless you have some mad machinist skills.

Xpolygon74

What he means is that the blue beam wouldn't look any brighter. Our eyes are less sensitive to blue, so a blue beam would need to be several times the wattage of a green beam to be of equal brightness to our eyes. For a half inch diameter casing I think one diode is about the best you'll be able to do unless you have some mad machinist skills.
hm
hmm I see, I heard about this before red is the weakest blues in the middle and green is the strongest color to our eyes, question would let's say a 1w green laser burn better than like a 5w blue laser? or would green only appear brighter?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Green would only appear brighter. In the case of burning capability, a watt is a watt. The only caveat here is the color of the object being burned. Green things reflect green light, so a green laser would be less effective on a green target.

It's amazing, a guy that's been a member for 12 years posts a video of his home made lumina and people think he's trolling, but this clown who made an account yesterday you entertain .......wha-daa-berrr

A half inch wide, two foot long " pen housing " ..........just picture that........ then imagine OP putting it somewhere special :)

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
A half inch wide, two foot long " pen housing " ..........just picture that........ then imagine OP putting it somewhere special :)
Ummm..I'd rather not :eek: And yeah, it sounds like a pretty silly idea but if they wanna spend their $$$$ on it I don't mind pointing them towards their goal.

And I think a good lumia is frikkin great, but most folks these days seem to want beams.

I could just imagine OP leading us helpful folks all down the 100 noob questions path, then delivering a punchline similar to mine given the dimensions of his ridiculous host concept, but whatever, to each his/her own.

Lumia is very cool although I have only dabbled in it, but I got some really neat galactic like patterns with a slowly turning disc of plastic that the laser actually melts partially through, the trick was getting the speed set just right so the plastic was liquefying, well in a plastic state.... nothing else has yielded quite the same slowly morphing patterns but I am thinking about a rotating cylinder of fluid, on a slanted axis, possibly with a foaming agent, set so that the beam traverses through the top edge where the liquid/foam/air meets.

Xpolygon74

hm

hmm I see, I heard about this before red is the weakest blues in the middle and green is the strongest color to our eyes, question would let's say a 1w green laser burn better than like a 5w blue laser? or does green only appear brighter?

It's amazing, a guy that's been a member for 12 years posts a video of his home made lumina and people think he's trolling, but this clown who made an account yesterday you entertain .......wha-daa-berrr
Dude just cause im not a 10 year member on this forum doesnt mean im trolling, i just recently found this forum and i dont care about having a fancy account, everyone else on this forum has been a great help except you.. But carry on

Xpolygon74

I could just imagine OP leading us helpful folks all down the 100 noob questions path, then delivering a punchline similar to mine given the dimensions of his ridiculous host concept, but whatever, to each his/her own.

Lumia is very cool although I have only dabbled in it, but I got some really neat galactic like patterns with a slowly turning disc of plastic that the laser actually melts partially through, the trick was getting the speed set just right so the plastic was liquefying, well in a plastic state.... nothing else has yielded quite the same slowly morphing patterns but I am thinking about a rotating cylinder of fluid, on a slanted axis, possibly with a foaming agent, set so that the beam traverses through the top edge where the liquid/foam/air meets.
Dude i asked like 2 questions isnt that what this forums for?
Ummm..I'd rather not :eek: And yeah, it sounds like a pretty silly idea but if they wanna spend their $$$$ on it I don't mind pointing them towards their goal.

And I think a good lumia is frikkin great, but most folks these days seem to want beams.
Hey thanks for actually giving me the answers i was looking for and I know its a silly idea but that doesnt automatically make me a troll like the other guy said lol, and if i was a troll this would be the lamest "troll" of all time.. This is literally a laser discussion forum i came here to ask a couple questions about an idea of mine its none of his concern what the desired length of the housing is for, if anything hes the one trolling i came here for answers not silly jokes about my project.

2 feet long and half an inch wide :LOL::ROFLMAO:🤪

Since your here for help, explain what this is for and why those dimensions are needed.