Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How many 1.6w Lasers can I run from 2 18650's

I've got a little project going. I've got a 1.4" tube to work with, and need to cram as much battery power and axiz modules that I can in it.

My favorite battery is the AW 18650's, I can only fit two of them in the tube, but I could change batteries if the benefit is great enough.

I'd like to get 3-4 1.6-1.8w 445nm lasers in it.

Surely someone that is better with current values can help me out :).

GBD

First off, dont bother.
With that little tube, you will overheat 3-4 diodes running at 1.6W-1.8W in no time at all. Hell, for your tube's diameter of 1.4" I would only use one diode and even then I would be conservative about running it at 1.8W.

More to your question, I ran 2X 1.5W's off 2 18650's before, although not in a build (just testing out the modules). those where soshine 2800mAh, so I suppose it will depend on the capacity of your battery, and the efficiency of your driver.

My rule of thumb on this would be 1 battery per laser assembly (counting driver+diode).

Last edited:
It's for emergency signaling. There will be plenty of metal around the modules for the bursts I will need, not talking burning or more than a few seconds of runtime.

GBD

Emergency signaling?
use a powerfull flashlight with tight focus or a lower powered laser (like <5mw green), 3-4X 1.8W lasers is just stupid. (and more expensive then the other option)

You will most likly blind who you are trying to signal.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, if anyone else has experience with how many 2 of these batteries could power please chime in. I've had lasers this powerful for awhile now, nobody is blind, safety issue is covered.

Last edited:

GBD

You obviously dont get the point Im making.

Any idea how for you can see a beam this powerful pointed into the air with night vision? Its not about pointing it at someone. its about looking for the beam from another ground position when it is pointed at the empty sky. I have a personal need for this and I want to explore the most I can get out these diodes. Staring a a magnesium flare up close probably isnt good for you, nor is holding one in your hand while it burns through your skin, you can do something stupid with something useful, but not everyone does.

anselm

I'd say a 532nm laser would be much better suited for emergency signaling, due to the much higher visibility.

I'd say a 532nm laser would be much better suited for emergency signaling, due to the much higher visibility.

Idd, using 445nm for the purpose of signalling is not a good choice. What would be the point in having 1W diodes do a job which a 50mW 532nm can do much more efficient and much much cheaper.

I personally avoid green lasers when I am outside.
I made a thread a while back about how temp sensitive dpss lasers are.
A few degrees difference can mean your "emergency laser" not shipping out any visible light... Bad news if you are in trouble.
445 @ 200mW (or lasing threshold) will be pretty reliable and doesn't kill a decent 18650 for a LOOOONG time.
I still haven't charged up my 1.6W 445 and have used it for more than an hour now.

anselm

A few degrees difference can mean your "emergency laser" not shipping out any visible light... Bad news if you are in trouble.
Stick it down your pants for a minute or two.:D:whistle:

on topic:
If you use a linear or a buck driver, i.e. a driver that doesn't consume more current
than it puts out, you should be able to power three maybe four 445nm diodes
at 1.5Ampere each.

4*1.5Ampere = 6A, which is quite a lot, but doable with good quality 18650s.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen if you figure the inefficiencies of the driver as well.
The energy going straight to heat with even the best drivers is a lot.
Most one diode 1.5A builds won't even work properly with a poor quality battery.

If you remember the differences between scotopic and photopic vision, 445 is not THAT bad of a choice for signalling, at least at night. And a diode is MUCH more rugged than DPSS for outdoor equipment. A DPSS green may not even lase in winter weather. Whereas as shown by some of Kenom's experiments, 445 would be "happier than normal".