Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How long does it take you to extract a diode?

yes im sad!!!

How long does it take you to extract a diode from a dvd? and that includes taking the diode out the heat sink

just took one out a pioneer-115d in 4.30mins

not bad hey

bout 5 mins with same driver.

I am having huge problems with my diodes from the 115d. They seem very fragile,, and of the 5 i have bought, 3 do not light up at all, and the otehr 2 are burnt out. Is there a trick to it?

dont think so, had mine running at 300mw in my scanner for a few months, then i tried to move it slightly and it blew LOL.

you have to be very careful but if left lone they work great

Heidi

I removed 3 diodes from 3 broken 16x dvd writers I recently got off Ebay.
took just over an hour to strip all 3 drives of their useful parts.
I didn't realise how small they were. Just waiting for a parcel of 12 modules and
lenses now. Then it's experiment/practice with those before I splash out
on 2 pioneer 20x drives to try. I want to combine 2 diodes into a half watt
burner using the dichro mirrors I carefully removed from the dvd writers.

All 3 diodes work, which really surprised me as it was my first ever attempt
at diode harvesting. I think the 3 main things that kill diodes while harvesting is-
1, Static (ESD) Laser diodes are very sensitive to static electricity, so always use a wrist strap.
2, Physical Damage to open can diodes especially during the removal from the sled/heatsink.
3, Excess heat from the soldering iron. Unsolder those diodes quickly, use tweezers to help dissipate the heat.

And there is running them without a proper driver, too high a current, and connecting the diode to the driver without first discharging the capacitor. All things that will send your little diode to the big laser show in the sky.

this is taking the piss.

now my ir diodes don't work, and i have basically mutialted my mxdl.

Is there anyone (in england preferably, who could make heads or tails of my siruation,) and possibly get the last bit done for me

(i will be willing to pay a reasonable amount for your time)

i just want to send you the parts, and see if any of my lds work, and why i can't get anything to work.

If you found a ld that worked, i would pay you to put the rest of the laser together. I bit off more than i could chew when i tried to build a flashlight laser, as the space is too small for my soldering skills and my soldering iron

Thanks

Believe it or not, my 6x blu-ray diode was my very first dvd player harvest!!! it took me about an hour and a half total for all three diodes, but I was being VERY careful....

robjdixon said:
i just want to send you the parts, and see if any of my lds work, and why i can't get anything to work.

If you found a ld that worked, i would pay you to put the rest of the laser together. I bit off more than i could chew when i tried to build a flashlight laser, as the space is too small for my soldering skills and my soldering iron

Thanks

what case is it going in?

i am using a mxdl

my soldering iron has a pointed tip, and the solder just goes into beads, that won't stick to anything - they stick to the iron, and if i try really hard to put it onto the thing i am trying to solder, it rests upon it but won't stick th them.

i have this iron:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34956&criteria=solderpro&doy=5m5

but it has the problems above, and i have to use my chiseltipped iron that has a huge chip, and is probably much too powerful for what i am using it for. Would finding a chiseltip for my maplin soldering iron help??

more information is in this thread:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1209976320/0#0

GooeyGus said:
Believe it or not, my 6x blu-ray diode was my very first dvd player harvest!!! it took me about an hour and a half total for all three diodes, but I was being VERY careful....

WOW THAT IS BOLD :eek:

Anyway, it takes me about 15 minutes to extract from bare drive to module pressed in with ribbon removed (no wires yet )

This 15 minutes is AFTER i discovered that I didn't need to waste time with my crap soldering skills trying to desolder the ribbon. Now, when I hammer my diode in with the back end of an aixiz, I do so with the ribbon still attached. The hammering breaks the solder joint between the between the pins and the ribbon. I then grab the ribbon with pliers and give it a quick, forceful jerk to rip it off. The pins are pretty strong eh? :p

All my open cans are still alive yay.

robjdixon said:
i am using a mxdl

my soldering iron has a pointed tip, and the solder just goes into beads, that won't stick to anything - they stick to the iron, and if i try really hard to put it onto the thing i am trying to solder, it rests upon it but won't stick th them.

i have this iron:

but it has the problems above, and i have to use my chiseltipped iron that has a huge chip, and is probably much too powerful for what i am using it for. Would finding a chiseltip for my maplin soldering iron help??

you ever heard of flux!?

you can send me the stuff if you want and ill see what i can do

chido

pocketfluff said:
when I hammer my diode in with the back end of an aixiz

LD TORTURER!!!! Haven't you killed any LDs by hammering them? :-? Just use rog's method:

fit_diode1.jpg

andy_con said:
[quote author=robjdixon link=1209804020/0#10 date=1209981765]i am using a mxdl

i have this iron:

you ever heard of flux!?

you can send me the stuff if you want and ill see what i can do
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer,but I am sending it to rog1879(right?)
I will get out of your thread now. Sorry for he hijack

chido said:
LD TORTURER!!!! Haven't you killed any LDs by hammering them? :-? Just use rog's method:

My way is more or less the same, minus the vice. The plus side to it is that the shock of the hammer strips the ribbon off the pins. And no, none have ever died under the hammer. Most of the time, its just a sharp whack and a few taps to straighten the base with the module. ;D