Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do yellow lasers work?

With our two flavors of DPSS yellow, the conditions for the production of the desired wavelength are much more stringent. The systems require real engineers to produce.

If the incident beams aren't perfectly phase matched, you get green (or red, maybe). If the crystal is misaligned, the pump wavelength gets all over the carpet.

Even CNI systems thoroughly vetted by Laserglow have been known to sometimes emit green.

Random ChinalaserCo, LTD. isn't going to be able to build these until they've reached the level of CNI. Since this requires a degree in photonics, that is not going to happen.

A yellow diode will happen first, or small-scale OPSL will get cheap.

589nm lasers exist for the purpose of sodium guide stars for use with adaptive optics in astronomy. There's definitely demand and an application, but I don't see it going into mass production. That being said, I'm not sure why CNI makes 589nm systems - they're certainly not what's getting used in telescopes.

The places we get our cheap equipment from are from mass-produced sources.

Having cheap data reading/writing wavelengths makes sense - but we've long passed the data density where yellow would make sense. That's out.

Display is our next best source. But... why use yellow when a larger range of colors can be made with R/G? Again... that's out.

I think our best source moving forward is going to be science still, but in the form of surplus equipment. We get our "cheap" argons and exotic HeNe's this way. Cross your fingers that people will start throwing away equipment containing 589nm lasers in the next few years. :D

-Trevor

While that all may be true. Swiss watchmakers said the same thing about flying tourbillons a few years ago (couldn't be produced in mass market or by the chinese). Now the chinese are producing them and they are decent quality. Those watches are about as technically advanced as you can get in watchmaking.

It's amazing what will come out of china if there is money to be made from it!

Trevor

While that all may be true. Swiss watchmakers said the same thing about flying tourbillons a few years ago (couldn't be produced in mass market or by the chinese). Now the chinese are producing them and they are decent quality. Those watches are about as technically advanced as you can get in watchmaking.

It's amazing what will come out of china if there is money to be made from it!

Copying watches requires being really skilled in copying tiny parts and assembling them.

It isn't just physical processes involved in yellow DPSS. If you just poked at the crystals until they lased yellow, you'd sit there for years.

The people who make DPSS yellow actually must be educated in photonics to know how to do it.

We'll never see mass produced DPSS yellow. OPSL or diodes, yes. DPSS, no.

-Trevor

Copying watches requires being really skilled in copying tiny parts and assembling them.

It isn't just physical processes involved in yellow DPSS. If you just poked at the crystals until they lased yellow, you'd sit there for years.

The people who make DPSS yellow actually must be educated in photonics to know how to do it.

We'll never see mass produced DPSS yellow. OPSL or diodes, yes. DPSS, no.

-Trevor

Ok, I believe you, I am not an engineer. I just assemble little parts for a living. I know that building any kind of DPSS is out of my realm. But I love the different wavelengths.

I'm happy I now have 2 yellow hene's.

Now I need an orange hene and a yellow pointer, preferably 589. Those are on my list for when my ship comes in, because you are right they are expensive.

Trevor

Ok, I believe you, I am not an engineer. I just assemble little parts for a living. I know that building any kind of DPSS is out of my realm. But I love the different wavelengths.

I'm happy I now have 2 yellow hene's.

Now I need an orange hene and a yellow pointer, preferably 589. Those are on my list for when my ship comes in, because you are right they are expensive.

I once almost bought a 589nm handheld. I decided to stick to my 594.1nm HeNe because the beam quality had spoiled me. :p

Good luck finding an orange HeNe. :(

-Trevor

I once almost bought a 589nm handheld. I decided to stick to my 594.1nm HeNe because the beam quality had spoiled me. :p

Good luck finding an orange HeNe. :(

-Trevor

explain? difference between beam quality on 589 and 594?

I know - on orange hene - not in my lifetime probably :(

Trevor

explain? difference between beam quality on 589 and 594?

I know - on orange hene - not in my lifetime probably :(

Well... 589nm and 593.5nm are both DPSS (well, we can easily get them in DPSS that is). 594.1nm is a HeNe wavelength.

I'm sure you've noticed your HeNe's beam is almost perfect gaussian TEM00, if not completely perfect.

I don't know of any Chinese DPSS system that has that kind of perfect beam profile. The high end ones are good, but not perfect.

-Trevor

OK, hene I understand. I thought you were saying a 593.5 DPSS was better than a 589 DPSS.

I am always amazed at how perfect the hene beam is no matter the color. Couple minor exceptions I have but yes.

^^^^ :thinking:
ct12tl

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Swiss watchmakers said the same thing about flying tourbillons a few years ago (couldn't be produced in mass market or by the chinese). Now the chinese are producing them and they are decent quality.....

I don't know why, but for some reasons, i think that Chinese market still need some time, for be able to mass-reproduce some of these ones ..... :eg: :eg: :eg:

(anyway, if they can sell me a working decent copy of a "Patek Philippe 5002P" for $50, free shipping, i can take it in consideration ..... especially cause the original one, the last time i checked, was quoted around 1.5 millions $ :p :crackup:)

....I want that gyrotourbillion watch in the first video. I could watch that forever until the end of time (I know, cheesy joke).

Seriously though, that is hypnotizing and I need it.

Last edited:
OK, top and bottom are triple axis tourbillons. Chinese have NOT reproduced those. Middle one is a two axis flying tourbillon, they have copied it.

But even the chinese knockoffs of the TRUE flying tourblillons are usually over $1500.00

Which is a steal compared to the $100,000 originals.

you can get a chinese tourbillon for a lot less, but not a true flying tourbillon.

Different kind of Chinese Tourbillon movements « Tourbillon Watch Information

YouTube - ‪Chinese Made Flying Tourbillon‬‏

And my favorite is the Prescher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bj9nfJn7K0

I don't know why, but for some reasons, i think that Chinese market still need some time, for be able to mass-reproduce some of these ones ..... :eg: :eg: :eg:

(anyway, if they can sell me a working decent copy of a "Patek Philippe 5002P" for $50, free shipping, i can take it in consideration ..... especially cause the original one, the last time i checked, was quoted around 1.5 millions $ :p :crackup:)

Last edited:
Hmm. Speaking of yellow lasers I thought I remembered reading somewhere that one of the Chinese resellers was selling a yellow laser that was a red and green beam combined. I know it's not a 'true' yellow but it'd be good enough for me and I suspect a lot of others too.

Trevor

Hmm. Speaking of yellow lasers I thought I remembered reading somewhere that one of the Chinese resellers was selling a yellow laser that was a red and green beam combined. I know it's not a 'true' yellow but it'd be good enough for me and I suspect a lot of others too.

I think there's 150mW and 250mW models available through Glenn's CNI GB.

If I remember right, the 150mW is more pleasing according to CNI.

-Trevor

Hmm. I'll have to look into that. I suspect if it's through CNI it won't be cheap.

Edit:

Yeah CNI offers modules in 300 and 1000mw. They look awesome but I don't think I'm going to even ask for a quote since the reply will likely be :eek:. Maybe someday I'll get one or even an RGB projector.

Last edited: