Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host with good Heat sinking?

SN P

I am after a cheap host with good heat sinking for a 405nm build. I was originally going to use a C6 host but I've read that the It has poor heat sinking.
Looking for recommendations on hosts that have good heat sinking with a low price

Thanks

C6 doesnt have poor heat sinking per say. If you use an aluminum heat sink in a C6 then yes its not the best but its alright for a 405nm. If you want better heat sinking then use a copper one. I have a bunch of C6s that have been custom anodized/polished AND have custom focus adapters. Plus I have 15 copper heat sinks for them (or aluminum). Send me a PM if you are interested in buying one.

Nice, clean host that is simple to use BUT is still custom so it isnt your standard C6 :beer:

upaa27

The c6 works but it is not the most efficient. But then again its $8

The host doesnt make the efficiency.......thats dependent on the driver and diode. The heat sink has varying heat absorption efficiency. Aluminum has decent heat absorption, copper is much better (might be the best available to use hobbyists), titanium (IMO) is in the middle of those too BUT is also a lot more expensive and IMO looks much better but none of them look bad.

I believe you are meaning efficiency as the heat management of the host but in reality the heat sink is what does 95% of that. If that is the case then I'd personally go with copper if you are on a budget and NEED good heat sinking. Aluminum will do for lower powered builds but once you get into the heat monsters (1.8W+ 445nm) then you need to switch to copper OR get a larger host to fit a larger heat sink.

Just for an example; I have a MagLite laser with a 9mm diode. It does 3.2W all day BUT has an aluminum heat sink. Based on my above info you'd think aluminum wouldnt be good for this monster BUT since it is such a massive chunk of heat sinking the laser can easily handle a 5 min duty cycle with no issues. HOWEVER, if that same diode and driver were in a C6 with aluminum heat sink, it would be struggling to do 30 second duty cycles........hope that helps :beer:

SN P

The host doesnt make the efficiency.......thats dependent on the driver and diode. The heat sink has varying heat absorption efficiency. Aluminum has decent heat absorption, copper is much better (might be the best available to use hobbyists), titanium (IMO) is in the middle of those too BUT is also a lot more expensive and IMO looks much better but none of them look bad.

I believe you are meaning efficiency as the heat management of the host but in reality the heat sink is what does 95% of that. If that is the case then I'd personally go with copper if you are on a budget and NEED good heat sinking. Aluminum will do for lower powered builds but once you get into the heat monsters (1.8W+ 445nm) then you need to switch to copper OR get a larger host to fit a larger heat sink.

Just for an example; I have a MagLite laser with a 9mm diode. It does 3.2W all day BUT has an aluminum heat sink. Based on my above info you'd think aluminum wouldnt be good for this monster BUT since it is such a massive chunk of heat sinking the laser can easily handle a 5 min duty cycle with no issues. HOWEVER, if that same diode and driver were in a C6 with aluminum heat sink, it would be struggling to do 30 second duty cycles........hope that helps :beer:

Okay so the C6 with aluminium heat sink should be fine for a 200mW 405nm build?
Does an anodised aluminium heat sink make a difference?

You should be fine with aluminum for a 405nm build. Id be okay with that if I built it. Thr anodized heat sink is only for looks. It doesnt add or sutract anything significant from the heat absorption properties. Its not a coating so it doesnt add anything, it is dying the metal itself. Technically it is a coating but its not like if you painted it and it added a layer of crap that made heatsinking worst

SN P

You should be fine with aluminum for a 405nm build. Id be okay with that if I built it. Thr anodized heat sink is only for looks. It doesnt add or sutract anything significant from the heat absorption properties. Its not a coating so it doesnt add anything, it is dying the metal itself. Technically it is a coating but its not like if you painted it and it added a layer of crap that made heatsinking worst

Okay, thanks

Rifter

I think mikes(Mrcrouse) heatsinks for his 501B kits($20) are a little larger than the C6 sinks but not by a lot. If you want under 10$ host a C6 is the best you will find.

If you step up to $50-75 Look into some of sinners hosts.

SN P

I think mikes(Mrcrouse) heatsinks for his 501B kits($20) are a little larger than the C6 sinks but not by a lot. If you want under 10$ host a C6 is the best you will find.

If you step up to $50-75 Look into some of sinners hosts.

Yeah i think I will stick with the C6 for now but would be looking at customs in the future.

SN P

Bump - Looking for a host kit for $30 that can be shipped to the UK
Preferably polished
Thanks

Wish I could find a pointer host kit (for use with large batteries) with extremely good cooling (lots of big fins) and allows a C-mount IR diode.

@Laser Project, I have access to a LARGE custom host that I could sell. Its a 2x 22650 (removable extension so can be 1x 22650) however its not cheap. Its over $100 for the host alone but its got TONS of fins, fins down the whole body and head. It'd need a custom heat sink made as well since its just the host.

If its something anyone is interested in the you know where to find me. You'd be the ONLY one with one :beer: