Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host for 8X Blu-Ray diode.

I'm trying to get an 8X Blu-Ray laser built. I really love Jayrob's Micro Chrome and Stainless Steel 10440 hosts - both of which use AAA batteries. I've contacted a few of the builders here, and heard from one of them that Jayrob said the wattage I'd want from an 8X (350-400mW) wouldn't really work well in those hosts, because AAA batteries (even the high-power ones like Eneloop Rechargeables) don't supply enough power, and also because the hosts are too small to have a good enough heatsink for such high power.

Are my dreams of a high-power Blu-Ray in the only two hosts I actually like the appearance of, going to be crushed? I don't want to spend all that money on a Blu-Ray diode and then have to dial it down to <200mW just so it will work with my host.

jib77

You really need a 18650 for that much power. Maybe Jayrobs' Stainless 18650 kit >>here<<. Or have a look at Ehgemus custom hosts >>here<<.

Morgan

As long as you go for Li-ion batteries with a high capacity you should be ok but the run time is going to be compromised. If your battery is at least 600mAh, at 3.7V, you should be able to maintain the current requirements but not for long, (off the top of my head figures as I don't know the exact current draw to supply 300-400mA through a Flexdrive). I'm currently running an 8x at 365mA, (483mW), output from a single RCR2, 3.7V, 600mAh. This doesn't last an awful long time so I'm caning batteries but that's why we use rechargables right?!!!

In short, I'm pretty sure it's possible but I don't know the capacity of those 10440s. The ones I've seen have only been a maximum of 400mAh. The quick discharge rate was around 700mA I seem to remember though which I think would work but could be detrimental to the battery's lifetime.

M
:)

Of course you could always buy one of these from parkssabers.com
and have a cool custom build done.
flashparkssabers.jpg

Can't you just see George Lucas' head explode when he sees the youtube video of it......:crackup::anyone::crackup:

Of course you could always buy one of these from parkssabers.com
and have a cool custom build done.
flashparkssabers.jpg

Can't you just see George Lucas' head explode when he sees the youtube video of it......:crackup::anyone::crackup:

Huh, could those really be modded into laser hosts?

Morgan

I will admit they are sure to appeal to the light saber fan but for a laser mod, they're expensive hosts, (well over $100), to then have to retrofit a laser into. Besides, for agravlin's project you have overlooked the fact he wants a small build. The two he mentions are tiny in comparison to those.

I'm sure if there were a fan of both genres here then it wouldn't be long until we see one of these on LPF but I have my doubts there will be that many in the intersect of that particular Venn diagram willing to build one. Maybe you can do one and show us.

Incidentally, flashlights are hollow too so I think the modding effort will more than likely be the same.

Just my opinion you understand. Thanks for sharing, "Saber Kit", with us.

M

Morgan

^True enough and I wasn't trying to sound funny. I meant the, "... thanks for sharing... "

M