Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hong Kong Trip

I went over to Hong Kong semi-recently and I just had to check out the markets!
Here is a couple of pics of the many lasers you could buy... :rolleyes:

Photo0145.jpg

Photo0143.jpg

I also got to watch the laser show they have every night at 8pm :san:

Last edited:

TuhOz

Wow, that's hawt.
I wish I've been there :(

Did you buy anything from there?

Last edited:

Benm

Funny, i've seen loads of them in Bangkok recently too. Most of them are the one with the starfield projection cap. Problem in bankgkok is that vendors are often on foot shining the things around, and they didn't look like <5 mW's to me (might be just overspec, but still)

I didn't end up buying any but I did give a few a test trial...I couldn't help myself :shhh:

Benm

Those conversion plugs? They sell those in every asian country like that, since most of them have oddball wall sockets. The funnier ones are those with 2 european or american plugs on the side - those you can daisy chain untill you fry the socket... i've seen plenty off burnt out wall sockets due to that :D

Hey i live in hk and the lasers they sell there are mostly underspec, and i have one that did last a day from the stalls there so buy at your own risk

LaZeRz

Hey i live in hk and the lasers they sell there are mostly underspec, and i have one that did last a day from the stalls there so buy at your own risk

And, how exactly do you know they're underspec? Doesnt seem like you have a lpm...

my friend bought a 200mw green but it cant even light a match
and btw the stalls have no good reputation in hk

Maybe some1 should go there with a handheld lpm to test each one and grab the most overspec ^^^

Maybe some1 should go there with a handheld lpm to test each one and grab the most overspec ^^^

I know you're joking, but I do plan to do that when I can finally organize a decent trip to asia. Three of my friends came back with newwish pens... I metered two over them, one put out ~100mW another 176mW. Ir content was around 30-40% iirc.

Why waste your money on some cheapo green pens?

I'd be looking for quality, and cheap hosts.

In Hungary they have a market and most of the items in the stalls are exactly the same as in your pictures. They even have have some cool hosts with Cree LEDs.
Nice pics.

Benm

Why waste your money on some cheapo green pens?

I'd be looking for quality, and cheap hosts.

These things are often sold as cheap toys in asian countries. Some dont have much power specification at all, many are just "<5 mW" by label, but i can assure you -those- arent all under specced.