Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Homemade Van de Graaf generator

One thing you might want to try is to change the distance of the collector at the top. This will improve your charging of the dome.

I built a Van de graaf Generator some years ago using two very large Salad serving bowls and a 5ft x 12" rubber belt. The bottom comb had a charge sprayer connected to a 40Kv flyback supply limited to maybe 10Kv at a few uA. The output of the Van de Graaff was in excess of 1Mv and could easily jump about 45-50" in open air. I connected to HV because I could overcome the humidity in the air. I live in a humid place. It really made a huge snap. Nothing you'd ever want to touch as it would give you a wallup! Van de Graaff on steroids, I guess. Sparks were not continuous enough for my liking so I moved on to Tesla coiling! Most recent was a 4.3Kw 6.5" coil capable of 3MV with approx 9-10ft sparks.
High Voltage will always kick ass!

Arayan

One thing you might want to try is to change the distance of the collector at the top. This will improve your charging of the dome.
Thanks, I'll try and I'll make you know :)

Benm

As far as a relation to lasers goes: Perhaps it can be used to power a nitrogen laser... there are some nice images on here of a nitrogen laser pumping a dye laser resulting in a very pretty blue beam.

Arayan

As far as a relation to lasers goes: Perhaps it can be used to power a nitrogen laser... there are some nice images on here of a nitrogen laser pumping a dye laser resulting in a very pretty blue beam.

If anyone will be able to do it could be a nice experiment :)

Very possible, the main problem with TEA laser construction is the narrow pulse width required for lasing, which as a result requires very little inductance in the capacitor area (hence planar transparency/foil capacitors are generally used in the DIY world).

You are looking at sub-ns pulse times in atmospheric pressures. As long as that's taken care off, it should be able to run a TEA laser with no real issues, though the firing rate might not be quasi-CW, but then again I have no real experience with Van de Graafs and their output.

Actually IIRC I have seen TEA lasers powered by electrostatic generators before with good results.

You can approximate the voltage as
1.1Kv/1mm forumula for sparks.

1.1kv/1mm = 1.1Kv/0.0394in

say you have a 15" spark in open air = ~380Kv

Arayan

More recent video with more challenging targets:

YouTube - Homemade Ruby Laser 2 - action shots

WOW very awesome ruby laser... the beam remember me a star trek phaser :)

WOW very awesome ruby laser... the beam remember me a star trek phaser :)

Thanks!

My next laser project will be a CO2 laser. I'm trying to build the tube from scratch (just buying a commercial tube would kill 99% of the fun, in my opinion). Here's a link to some pics of the project. There aren't very many pictures yet, but this set is under construction, and will expand to include photos of my future progress. I have no idea if this silly thing will work at all, but it's a start.

CO2 laser II - a set on Flickr

I also plan to start experimenting with VDG generators in the future. I've made many other types (and even sold a few of them). Here are some of my electrostatic generators (I know I'm getting off of the subject - sorry).

My Asthetic and Gift/Build-to-Sell Type Electrostatic Generators - a set on Flickr