Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Homemade Police Laser Speed Gun Jammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyparagon said:
[quote author=xJumper link=1219444711/0#10 date=1219459542]...he turns on his flashlight and aims it in the direction of your laser beam, now the laser is not as clear/bright/ect

How in gods name did you come to this conclusion?

[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D Oh man... I was going to post the exact same thing.

Ok well that was dumb analogy but the concept could still work.

Next thing is since I would have to take out the crystals their would be no GREEN laser light only IR. I would use a plano convex lens in front to make the beam larger and thus make it easier to aim and I have a pretty good idea where the cops are always hiding so just pointing it in the general direction would probably work.

Their are already professional police laser speed gun jammers available on the market (That do work!) and they come in kits and you install them in your car and they look like big flashlights pointing out the sides and its not like they know the exact wavelengths so I bet that if your off by a bit it wont make such a difference.

My idea about the flashlight and the laser pop balloon thing is that if you shoot so much IR into his gun you may just jam it up, try and see what happens to your video camera if you shoot a green laser into it. The camera is trying to capture the scenery around it but when you shine your powerful overwhelming laser into its light sensors or whatever they use to capture video it screws it up and overwhelms it with light.

Basically im operating on the same principle to OVERWHELM the guns sensor with IR and thus jam it!

A better analogy is that someones using a camera to try and take a picture of you. And what you want to do is use a flashlight to shine back at them and mess up the camera, so it can't take a proper picture.

What's the chance of the police using a system like this though? What if they are just using a RADAR gun? Then you're stuffed, unless you have cover for both.

xJumper said:
I would use a plano convex lens in front to make the beam larger

Productivity at it's best! So you'd place a lens after the diode to collimate it, then another lens to diverge it?

Okay, so now you've got an absurdly low powered IR flashlight with an intensity far less than the background radiation of daytime. marvelous.

xJumper said:
Their are already professional police laser speed gun jammers available on the market (That do work!)

At a success rate high enough to justify the initial expenditure as well as the occasional fine?

xJumper said:
they look like big flashlights pointing out the sides

Since the desired result is a spread beam, why use a laser? What's wrong with an IR flashlight?

Kage

I would think in order to mess up their receiver, you would only need to produce pulses of similar wavelength and amplitude AND width as the reflected signal, only completely out of sync with their system. This would cause their receiver to produce an error. But, from the cop's point of view, he will probably be pretty sure you are jamming his equipment, and he could come after you anyway...

Cyparagon said:
[quote author=xJumper link=1219444711/0#10 date=1219459542]...he turns on his flashlight and aims it in the direction of your laser beam, now the laser is not as clear/bright/ect

How in gods name did you come to this conclusion?
[/quote]
I think he's trying to say a flashlight going through the laser's beam will make the laser beam harder to see..... similar to shining your laser indoors with lots of light on, or during the day...

xJumper said:
try and see what happens to your video camera if you shoot a green laser into it. The camera is trying to capture the scenery around it but when you shine your powerful overwhelming laser into its light sensors or whatever they use to capture video it screws it up and overwhelms it with light.
nooo! unless you like laser burns all over your camera...?

I just found out that what the police use are 50 Watt IR lasers but their not dangerous to the eyes so their in some eye friendly wavelength. They typically aim at the license plates so people usually install a powerful IR flashlight thats at 100 Watts + to jam their gun. The thing is thats nice when im driving my black car but my main work car is bright red and then they can aim anywhere because its very reflective with bright colors and they can read your speed then. So il have to stick with my black car...

Anyway how could I get my laser that would have a 400mW IR pump @ 1008nm to jam a 50 Wat laser @ some eye friendly wavelength?

(The pulses, ect have nothing to do with it btw, I found it out with some research.)

xJumper said:
I just found out that what the police use are 50 Watt IR lasers... so people usually install a powerful IR flashlight thats at 100 Watts

Now be honest, did you pull that number out of your ass just because it was more than 50? 50W might be the peak of the pulse, but I doubt it. Anything even approaching CW would not be this portable:

LTI2020InuseClocking.jpg

100W IR flashlights, huh? Those sound MUCH cheaper than a speeding fine. Furthermore, 1008 isn't eye-friendly.... not even close. Black also does not absorb all light. I think you should give them more credit than you do. You really don't think they accounted for all the black cars? Why would they employ technology that wasn't all-encompassing?

is there even such thing as an eye friendly wavelength??? too much of anything cant be good, especially 50watts.

Maybe you can just go to traffic court with a german shepherd dog & ask the judge to dismiss your speeding ticket on account of now your blind from the laser gun! ::)

Remember we're talking about flashlights now, IR flashlights, not lasers. A 50Watt laser would be deadly as anything! But a Flashlight, it would be seriously bright but not particularly dangerous.

^Unless of course you account for the people that think they can get out of a speeding ticket if using it.

Ryo

By the time you notice them, it probably would have been too late to deploy your countermeasures.. even if it works. I don't think having your IR flashlight on all the time while driving is very good either due to reflection back from other cars, ie license plates.

xJumper said:
I never said that their lasers are at 1008nm I said that MY laser is at that wavelength.

You most assuredly do not. it's 808nm. Using a laser just isn't feasible.

So you'd need a kit for the front, back, left, and right. And even then, what's to stop the guy from chasing you down for having an illegal system like that on your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.