Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Homemade phr lasers

G’day all,
I thought I’d share some pics on two homemade lasers I made. I purchased a phr-803T sled and harvested out the 405nm and red diode, I placed the UV diode into an aixiz module and put the red into half an aixiz module. I must say, the UV laser was so much brighter than I expected it to be, things fluoresce very brightly which makes it such an interesting laser.

Picture 24.jpg

UV laser: Mounted in a large plastic box, constant current circuit with adjustable current from roughly 0-100mA.
By wearing sunglasses and using the beam like a torch (in largely unfocussed beam mode), I’ve been able to scan beaches, parks and woods at night to search for fluorescent objects, plants and animals. I made some quite interesting finds, especially with the beautiful coloured fluorescence of the sea shells at the beach.

Picture 16.jpg

Red laser:
I had fun making this one. It has adjustable power and adjustable focus, I wanted to see if I could make a more powerful and smaller laser than an old red pointer laser I once had, I succeeded. It’s pretty much button cells stuck to the head of an aixiz module with a loose wire on the back that you push to turn it on).

Picture 15.jpg

My camera flared up the image, so it looks brighter than it actually is but I was still impressed with how bright it was.

No doubt somebody on this forum has made a smaller pointer?

I've made some VI curves for both PHR diodes and also the LPC diode. I have also observed a lot of types of fluorescence using the UV laser, I might post my findings if anybody is interested.

John

Morgan

Fluorescent object are always fun so yes, post some pics!

Just to clarify...

You say you harvested the Bluray and the red from the PHR-803T sled? I may have misunderstood but the red from that sled is not an LOC, ('Long Open Can', diode from the LPC-815 sled). Have you ALSO built a laser with the LPC-815 diode?

M
:)

Last edited:
He said "I've made some VI curves for both PHR diodes and also the LPC diode." Sounds like he made VI curves for the PHR blu diode, PHR red, and LPC red :)

Morgan

I know what was written but I didn't understand clearly. No seperate LOC build was mentioned earlier in the thread and a typo adding a rouge, 's', could've changed the meaning. Which is why I asked. Only nhojmabon can tell us for sure. ;)

M
:)

Last edited:
Sorry about not being clear, you're both correct Morgan and thebucketmouse :) I have also built a laser from an LPC-815 sled, well actually I've made quite a few lasers from the PHR and LPC diodes, but I've only posted the two PHR builds because they were the most interesting. I've made VI curves for the LPC and both PHR diodes, here they are:

PHR LPC VI characteristics.jpg

You'll notice the curves aren't perfect curves, there are some messy areas and some parts of the curve where I haven't taken any readings. These aren't measurement errors, the lazers were behaving weird at certain VI regions. As I slowly increased the current/voltage, the laser current and voltage would rise steadily and then BAM jump to a significantly higher voltage and current. Does anyone know why this jumping effect occurs? Maybe using an LM317 constant current circuit will prevent this effect? Also, for the PHR red diode, once it was increased above a certain threshold point on the curve, it seemed to lose a lot of it's red output power, even though it's overall power consumption (P = VI) was higher.

I put together a quick video of some fluorescent sea shells and objects I've found, when I get a better camera I'll take some quality pictures. Here's the link:

YouTube - Fluorescence of sea shells using PHR laser

John