Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Homemade lightsaber wanting to become a laser

Here's some pics of a lightsaber I built with my grandpa over a decade ago:

2luugc6.jpg

egoap4.jpg

xm6bdd.jpg

14oc0na.jpg

2hef50p.jpg

2vkc4ll.jpg

119nex5.jpg

It's like the most basic construction; a regular green LED wired to a battery pack. At least I think. I'm not sure if these LEDs need to be powered by drivers like lasers or not. Or if the batteries directly power the LED. We wired it to work with the side switch as on & off just like a light switch lol. It was all hand cut from piping and adhesive foam. Anyone think this could be converted into a laser?

Last edited:

GSS

I'm sure it can be built into a laser with some planning and tinkering.
Most important being making a heat sink and using a laser driver instead of the Led's driver.
Love it that you built it with granpa:) Is he still around?

Edit: Nice to hear he's still around and hope you two can work on it!!

Last edited:
I'm sure it can be built into a laser with some planning and tinkering.
Most important being making a heat sink and using a laser driver instead of the Led's driver.
Love it that you built it with granpa:) Is he still around?

Yup! Just retired recently as a radiology technician too; he's amazing; never worked with a laser (well not a high power portable one) a day in his life & can converse about them with me like I was talking to one of you guys lolol but really wanna pay someone to modify this into a laser for me! Any takers??

Grandpa is too old now to help with this. Not like he's losing his mind or smarts, he's just too busy with my grandma being sick & that's enough for him to worry about right now. & although I do wanna build my own soon, I want this laser to be built with experience so I know it'll last with quality!

Last edited:

GSS

Yup! Just retired recently as a radiology technician too; he's amazing; never worked with a laser (well not a high power portable one) a day in his life & can converse about them with me like I was talking to one of you guys lolol but really wanna pay someone to modify this into a laser for me! Any takers??

Grandpa is too old now to help with this. Not like he's losing his mind or smarts, he's just too busy with my grandma being sick & that's enough for him to worry about right now. & although I do wanna build my own soon, I want this laser to be built with experience so I know it'll last with quality!
Very nice story to hear:) sorry about your granma though..

Last edited:
Very nice story to hear:) sorry about your granma though..

Thank you man I appreciate that. The world is full of sad situations but life is as beautiful as we make it! This forum is a great place lol you and everyone else on here are awesome!

just throw an M44 in there! your grandpa would be absolutely amazed!

I actually have a 2.5 watt 445nm module I can take out of a Chinese eBay laser, I just don't know how I could rewire it to work with the side switch. So I basically have all the pieces I just need an experienced builder I could pay to put it all together. Any directions you could point me in??

I actually have a 2.5 watt 445nm module I can take out of a Chinese eBay laser, I just don't know how I could rewire it to work with the side switch. So I basically have all the pieces I just need an experienced builder I could pay to put it all together. Any directions you could point me in??

Hmmmm. That’s a good question, their is definitely some good builders on here that could do it, i don’t wanna name names just in case I left someone out that could do a good job but most on here would be more than happy to do this for you :)
I could probably do it as well but it would be rigged compared to what some vets could really do for you :D

BLESS YOU and your Grandparents--

I would ask DTR about a PnP blue module and leave your other blue alone....Jordan has the heatsinks you need to get nice runtime and copper too--get the biggest that will fit or see if he can install it for you-- just send him the part he needs to work on and a USPS Money order (yr cost 99cents) which gives him an extra 4%.
PM coming---hak

My understanding is DTR is out of the 20mm copper modules. Not a big deal as the 12mm modules work great for me as long as you put them in a suitable heat sink.