Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Homebuilt 3-5W Copper Vapour Laser System

Yeah, they are not the same thing. These days there are some fairly accurate, and inexpensive laser power meters. You can have a system that does data logging and measure powers up to 6 watts for $150.00. I know at the prices you get these parts for that is still a lot of money, but might be worth thinking about.

Rivem

Every time I look at this thread, I feel like I'm a lazy laser hobbyist. I do less than one diode "build" a year, and Laserbuilder builds something from much closer to raw material.

As always, it's awesome, and that color is great. Awesome job!:bowdown:

vk2fro

Rivem: ha! I've not done a build in years.

This CVL project is amazing. LaserBuilder, you have done an incredible job building this thing. I'm so surprised I didn't even see this thread till now. Probably because I've been concentrating on ions :p

2.2-2.3kW in for 5W out, much better efficiency than the several 100 mW's coming out of my ILT :p

Last edited:
Great Thanks for your respect, approval and encouragement about this project, I was very pleased!

The laser is finished now an will be put into storage soon, and I'll concentrate on another one. I still have a second UL102 tube that is air open now, possibly I'll try to refill it and build a second laser head with improved electrical circuitry. The Blumlein generator, 2 stage magnetic pulse compressor and the laser tube will be in a single case, which will eliminate the need in an umbilical cable and make the electric pulse on the tube much sharper. Possibly it will allow to get more optical power, 7 to 10W.

I will update the thread as soon as I complete my vacuum setup and get to the tube.

I am still in awe of your copper bromide laser!!! I havecalways want to build one due to the optics...you reallybcan get by with a silver rear reflector wihout an output coupler.

You Sir, have made an awesome aquirement!!

Kudos on your work, I hope tha gorgous laser gives you many faithful years of service!!!

Best Regards,

-Brian

Good job!

This kickstarted my laser fascination into high gear..Pink Floyd copper vapor laser 1994. Blew my 20yr old mind, still blows my 45yr old mine!

Yeah, I saw a "Yes" concert back in the mid 1970s where they used a large argon laser, diffracted into hundreds of 3" beams that rotated and scanned the crowd in that Houston concert. That literally blew my 24 year old mind.

Yeah, I saw a "Yes" concert back in the mid 1970s where they used a large argon laser, diffracted into hundreds of 3" beams that rotated and scanned the crowd in that Houston concert. That literally blew my 24 year old mind.
Damn, mid 70's... Lasers probably werent even much into the publics consciousness. Had to be a shock to see those collimated beams of blue and green.

The CU vapor laser PF used in 94 was previously used for uranium isotope separation. Not sure of the power but I remember watching the beams terminate on the upper rim of RFK stadium in DC. Beautiful, bright green , yellow and red lines. I think theres a thread on PL of a guy who bought one of the two lasers used on the tour. Not sure if he got it running or not.

Last edited:
I saw my first laser in person in 1965. It was a ruby laser used by the military and was brought to my school to show us all what one looked like. They fired it at a large blue balloon which turned red at the moment it popped. I had already read quite a lot on laser technology, so that was something to see for me too.

I saw my first laser in person in 1965. It was a ruby laser used by the military and was brought to my school to show us all what one looked like. They fired it at a large blue balloon which turned red at the moment it popped. I had already read quite a lot on laser technology, so that was something to see for me too.
Wow! That probably was the spark that ignited your life long interest. Not too long after its invention either. That's when they were a solution looking for a problem. Lol!! Bet it was impossible to imagine how ubiquitous and essential to daily life they are nowadays.

In 1974 I saw my first hologram in the physics building at Lamar University. It was a copy of The Kiss II, which was multiple holograms of a girl who blew a kiss and winked at you afterward. That was actually a very famous hologram...you might be able to google it. I had been taking physics classes for a couple years by then. That actually spurred me to get a HeNe laser in 1980 and start making my own holograms.