Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Home made YAG blasts target.

Someone asked in my previous post how I got the image of a target being vaporized by my YAG laser. So I decided to post the video it came from. I just re-edited it into a vibrant, spicy production.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJGxT2E1Bhk[/media]

Rasel

Ha that's awesome!! That smoke ring is so cool ;D and gj on the salsa? tengo? music!

disma

AWESOME! :D :D :D :D :D Now I see what the ssy1 can do!! Im just useing 1100uf at 343v!  it doesnt come close to that! mine barely makes a round burn on a piece of e tape! How many shots do u think u will get from the laser before it starts to hurt it?  I have taken out my qswitch before even trieng with the cap I have, I didnt wanna kill it right away... my cap is only rated 330v, im supprised it charges to 343... I have seen it punch a hole in al foil, but usually takes 2 shots with a lens in front of the laser.  This is an awesome video, thanks for sharing it!!! :D I was the one that asked how u got the pic. cause I was hoping my ssy1 was as powerfull, now I know thats the same model laser as mine! I wonder what would happen if u were to take 2 ssy1s, take out the output mirror of one, and the rear mirror on the other one, carefully allign them, hook the flash lamps in series, and dump a cap in it. would it just take less power to fire the same optical output, or would the optical power be doubled?

Max

Well I sent the q-switch to q-switch heaven on the second shot so yeah, I was putting a bit of energy into that flashlamp. The lamp probably wouldn't have made it much longer either but I have a nice replacement. I've torn that SSY apart already and rebuilding it into its next incarnation. It's going to be something a bit more powerful...muhahaha!

disma

tell me, I cant stand it! how is it gonna be more powerfull? I guess u can tell this gets me excited! :D now I wanna add more cap to mine! I built mine in a sweet case and its all self contained with a red diode module as a target indicator! the cool thing is that when u focus it with a lens, the red dot still tells where u are going to hit. I have had many hours of fun with mine already.

Max

I'm going bigger on the flashlamp, adding a real reflector, and building a custom resonator. I have some nice mirrors already mounted that I removed from a broken 35 Watt YAG system. I'm debating some kind of Q-switch but i don't think I really need it.

I have a friend who works at Livermore and I've been kind of begging for her to head over and talk to the NIF people and see if she can get me some broken rods from their systems. I understand they break them all the time and just toss them. Although they don't use Nd:YAG rods anymore I can still make them lase.

disma

wow! :D that is really awesome, when u get it finished, I wanna see some vids, or pics! how can u make a broken rod work unless u cut it off and polish and coat the end again? Im trieng to get some pics of my ssy1.

Max

Thats a great video. Can we have some detail on the circuit which provides the power please?

That is awesome man. Do some more please as I never get tired of videos :D