Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hit in eye with 1000mw 445nm blue laser

Blackholesun

This is why I object to any goggles that may be under rated. An accident like this can happen with the goggles on as well. I figure if you arn't using OD6+ glasses, with a 5+ watt in particular, you are making a mistake. The reflections of this laser are seriously brutal and will burn your eyes out over time. I don't buy OD4+ or less rating because I don't believe the rating. Watch what you are buying in goggles. Better too much, than too little. Take care that some unscrupulous dealer doesn't sell you a pair of goggles that are less than what you need for the wavelength and power level you are using. The guy at Phillips Safety, who supposedly KNOWS laser goggles, told me a pair of THEIR goggles would not stop a direct strike, that a direct strike should be avoided, and provide only 1/4 second protection at 100 feet, and 10 seconds protection at 1000 feet against a 5 watt laser..

Last edited:

gazer101

This is why I object to any goggles that may be under rated. An accident like this can happen with the goggles on as well. I figure if you arn't using OD6+ glasses, with a 5+ watt in particular, you are making a mistake. The reflections of this laser are seriously brutal and will burn your eyes out over time. I don't buy OD4+ or less rating because I don't believe the rating. Watch what you are buying in goggles. Better too much, than too little. Take care that some unscrupulous dealer doesn't sell you a pair of goggles that are less than what you need for the wavelength and power level you are using. The guy at Phillips Safety, who supposedly KNOWS laser goggles, told me a pair of THEIR goggles would not stop a direct strike, that a direct strike should be avoided, and provide only 1/4 second protection at 100 feet, and 10 seconds protection at 1000 feet against a 5 watt laser..
Actually, OD3 goggles should theoretically be able to attenuate a 5W laser down to 5mW.
But again, I like to test everything before I put it on... If I have any doubts about the wavelength, I just put on my VR laser protection goggles (those work on all wavelengths)

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Actually, OD3 goggles should theoretically be able to attenuate a 5W laser down to 5mW.
But again, I like to test everything before I put it on... If I have any doubts about the wavelength, I just put on my VR laser protection goggles (those work on all wavelengths)
Got any pics of those VR goggles?

Blackholesun

After what the Philips guy said. I didn't buy their goggles.
It made me think twice about goggles though.

This reply was edited.

Last edited:
FYI an exposure over .25 second is pretty much impossible===MYB if you are on drugs or your eyes are forced open mechanically.. (malcome mcdowel movie ]'A Clockwork Orange')AND even at .25 seconds since the laser was moving--not much of an exposure.
When we get lasered we see after-images. like peeking at the sun- IF these do not go away in a few blinks--MYB you did get over exposed-- also where inside you eye did the beam 'hit'? for max damage /injury the laser needs to hit the macula- or where the nerves come togther. (optic) and IF your own eye's lens is hit--that is worse.
Since lasers are brighter than the sun and a mag glass or our lens--- makes that even worse.. bad combo.

Search 'Ranger Kelli gets injured at 'Burning Man' by a green laser'. The rangers were searching for the ass-hat w/ the laser and she was trying to keep him spotted-so she got several direct exposures and they can accumulate.
Last I read she still has one eye injuried.

The laser was NOT a pointer.

No laser is a toy.

HobbyOn

I just wanted to thank Xoul and everyone on this thread.

I only recently got into this hobby, VERY recently.

Tonight was the first time I messed around with a tiny red keychain laser pointer..

I was planning my next more powerful laser, and stumbled onto this thread.. a few pages in and I had I ordered the best goggles I could find (OD7+) for the blue laser I had planned to build..

By page 16+ I emailed the folks over at survivallaser.com and asked if they could please cancel the order I had placed just an hour or so before.. ( and I explained the whole reasoning behind this )

I thought I would share my (brief) laser enthusiast story and include the email here and thank everyone again and especially Xoul for sharing his story and helping prevent many more injuries by doing so.

Thanks again Xoul and everyone on this thread for the tremendous humanity, education, and knowledge transfer.

My cancellation email to the good folks over at SurvivalLaser -

--

Hi All,

I'm terribly sorry, but can I cancel this order?

I just got into the hobby after watching countless hours of youtube videos.. tonight was the first time I messed around with a little 5mw laser pointer keychain.. Opened it up and messed with the focus ability to change the beam.. I was already planning on how I was going to build a much more powerful laser...

I had been reading a thread about a guy who messed up his vision for life and decided I needed to order the best safety glasses I could find for the lasers I wanted to mess around with ( which is why I placed the order! ).

<< insert link here to this thread >> (link to THIS thread removed because I don't have enough posts to post links! lol)

And I kept reading and reading... I'm not even done with the thread yet I think I'm on page 15+ out of 25+, and honestly I am so freaked out and have decided that with my small kids and all the chaos at my house, that messing with even toy lasers is something that just isn't worth the risk of myself or worse yet, my children getting permanently blinded...

I'm so sorry for the order and now the request to cancel!

Hope you understand and I love the hobby! I'm just going to have to enjoy it vicariously through others on youtube and the like.

Thanks,

--

Ramon555

1000mw 445nm blue laser can damage eyes very badly. One must be careful while using it.​

Tonight was the first time I messed around with a tiny red keychain laser pointer..

I was planning my next more powerful laser, and stumbled onto this thread.. a few pages in and I had I ordered the best goggles I could find (OD7+) for the blue laser I had planned to build..

By page 16+ I emailed the folks over at survivallaser.com and asked if they could please cancel the order I had placed just an hour or so before.. ( and I explained the whole reasoning behind this )

I thought I would share my (brief) laser enthusiast story and include the email here and thank everyone again and especially Xoul for sharing his story and helping prevent many more injuries by doing so.

Thanks again Xoul and everyone on this thread for the tremendous humanity, education, and knowledge transfer.

--

Hi All,

I just got into the hobby after watching countless hours of youtube videos.. tonight was the first time I messed around with a little 5mw laser pointer keychain.. Opened it up and messed with the focus ability to change the beam.. I was already planning on how I was going to build a much more powerful laser...

I had been reading a thread about a guy who messed up his vision for life and decided I needed to order the best safety glasses I could find for the lasers I wanted to mess around with ( which is why I placed the order! ).

<< insert link here to this thread >> (link to THIS thread removed because I don't have enough posts to post links! lol)

And I kept reading and reading... I'm not even done with the thread yet I think I'm on page 15+ out of 25+, and honestly I am so freaked out and have decided that with my small kids and all the chaos at my house, that messing with even toy lasers is something that just isn't worth the risk of myself or worse yet, my children getting permanently blinded...

Hope you understand and I love the hobby! I'm just going to have to enjoy it vicariously through others on youtube and the like.

Thanks,

--
Welcome to the world of lasers. And props for good discretion 🍻 Maybe when they're a little older and understand the dangers you guys can get more involved. Building a laser would make for a great project with them.

gazer101

--

Hi All,

Thanks,

--
Lasers are dangerous: youtu.be/AEreifi6PfI?t=199