Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High precision LPM with Ophir 20C-Y-A/150/30 etc... possible with new board.

I just discovered a company in Switzerland that makes programmable open source sensor boards for all platforms. The board in question is a high precision voltmeter (0.5% error) with datalogging capability. It is also able to be programmed to do calculations for whatever you choose. We could finally implement absorbance properties by building the algorithms into the device.
As mentioned above All libraries are opensource and as such able to be modified how you choose to.
Also something to take note of is this board's ability to use a variety of communication methods/ either write to directly to .cvs or excel for logging or directly over USB or WIFI.
Trevor, bluefan, Jerry (Laserbee), others..... take note.

In all I'm quite excited about this board. Check out the stats.

Yocto-Volt - Tiny isolated USB voltmeter (AC/DC)

:can:

This single board potentially takes care of a few issues in the DIY LPM scene.
no more voltage limitations, no more communication errors. :tinfoil:

Actually upon further inspection I see a very promising post regarding SCPI (Standard Commands for Programmable Instruments),
and lab instrumentation. Read further on this subject here,
https://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/article/yocto-rs232-scpi-and-lab-instruments.

So I see with this post on the yoctopuse website, we could also decode Ophir's digital sensors with one of the
other Rx boards by this company as well.

Very cool !!

illustr-yocto-volt-big_grande.jpg

Last edited:

Just a little heads up that an Adroid app was created called Yoctograph. This free app allows one to directly interface the Yoctopuse voltmeter board directly to the MicroUSB (B) port on an Android device. A modification to the Yoctograph.APK can be made by unstuffing the APK as a .rar file then editing the classes.DEX file once it is converted into a .jar file.

Here is a demo of this app running with a thermocouple.

The app auto detects the kind of sensor you've got and starts graphing immediately. This app is available as a kit
so with some basic modification it can be set to only detect your sensor, and graph with the conversion ratio of the LPM head
and can be hooked directly to an android phone.

Last edited:

94Z28

Looks pretty cool, this COULD also help improve the TEC based LPMs as well, but not sure what it would do to the costs of either way. Good find!

Benm

So what's new about this? Thermocouples measure temperature and (ground) loops pick up (mains) noise.

Such thermocouples are nothing new, but for laser power measurement you need to have them across a know, stable, thermal resistance, which is not that easy to construct.

So what's new about this? Thermocouples measure temperature and (ground) loops pick up (mains) noise.

Such thermocouples are nothing new, but for laser power measurement you need to have them across a know, stable, thermal resistance, which is not that easy to construct.

What's new with this? Well quite a bit... Ignore the video for the moment,
actually it was just the video showcasing how the Yoctopuse sensors interact with tablets and various programming environments.

The sensor I am really excited about is the Yocto-Volt sensor, as this can help interface any of the analog Ophir sensors pair directly to an android phone, and graph to Excel or .CSV file in real time.

Very cool.

Benm

Oh okay, i thought it was something in the sensor itself, but better ADC technology is always nice ofcourse :)

I guess getting the data straight into android devices will give nice applications since you can use the full processing power and gui of the device, doing nice things like datalogging and making graphs.

I suppose it's not revolutionairy though, you can have a serial interface on a standalone meter that allows you to do the same with a pc. Upside of that is that you don't -need- any external device for basic functions.

Oh okay, i thought it was something in the sensor itself, but better ADC technology is always nice ofcourse :)

I guess getting the data straight into android devices will give nice applications since you can use the full processing power and gui of the device, doing nice things like data logging and making graphs.

I suppose it's not revolutionary though, you can have a serial interface on a standalone meter that allows you to do the same with a pc. Upside of that is that you don't -need- any external device for basic functions.

Right, it might not be entirely new but it does open up some exciting possibilities.

Just going to let people know that the Yoctopuce team released a version of live charts. The charts are able to display real time data from the USB or via networking and can output the same graph in real time just like the Ophir programs can do.

The Yoctoteam has a few sensors that could be used as analog LPM adapters as the boards provide a very high accuracy measurement of voltages.
Their modules utilize the PIC24 which has high speed ADC inputs.

Their response to me:

Regarding laser power sensors with analog output, just have a look at the Yocto-0-10V-rx and the Yocto-MilliVolt-rx, they both provide generic sensor features which allow to map the output and customize units.

This is food for thought for anyone wanting the ultimate DIY Analog LPM
that can port data across a wide range of data collection programs including texas instruments LABView software suite.

Just going to let people know that the Yoctopuce team released a version of live charts. The charts are able to display real time data from the USB or via networking and can output the same graph in real time just like the Ophir programs can do.

The Yoctoteam has a few sensors that could be used as analog LPM adapters as the boards provide a very high accuracy measurement of voltages.
Their modules utilize the PIC24 which has high speed ADC inputs.

Their response to me:

This is food for thought for anyone wanting the ultimate DIY Analog LPM
that can port data across a wide range of data collection programs including texas instruments LABView software suite.

Is this the Student Edition of Labview?