Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High Power + Small Host = too short of a duty cycle?

Has anyone noticed the trend in making more powerful lasers from smaller and smaller hosts and how this is giving shorter and shorter duty cycles (time on versus time off to allow it cool)?

I've seen several builds claiming 1W+ of power in both small flashlight hosts and pen style hosts and having a max 'on' time of 30 seconds.

To those who own them, is that long enough for you or are they too limited and would lower power and longer duty cycle be a better compromise?

daguin

This is no new "trend."
It has been this way since before I started the hobby

Here is the first laser I ever built
dorcy9.jpg

Peace,
dave

Stix62

...To those who own them, is that long enough for you or are they too limited and would lower power and longer duty cycle be a better compromise?

Do you not think people would think about that before buying or building one?

I think what you are asking is fine, it is the way you are asking it that might be causing misunderstandings. Basically your concern is valid. If you build a high power laser in small host it is very likely that the duty cycle will be short but for those who want something easy to carry, it may be worth the tradeoff in duty time for the ability to be able to carry it easily.

Some folks may already own a high power, large heat-sinked version of a laser and just want a small carry version of a similar power and wavelength.

Does that make sense?

Ok, so those that have small, short duration lasers also have larger ones. That makes sense.

JLSE

There is a challenge to fitting the most power into a small package.

Like anything else its just a matter of preference. My earliest builds, up til today
and by far my favorite, are the ones that fit in the palm of your hand.

This little guy packs a lot of power and is tiny.. The perfect laser IMO :beer:

1.4W.jpeg

ENX

I started with a couple larger builds too, but it seems when taking one along to use outside the home, the smaller pocketable ones are my first go to. IMO there are some smaller hosts like the B50, that are small enough to pocket, but have a pretty fair sized I think the B50 sink is comparable to the C6, if not bigger.

I like the larger lasers for their extended run times, but for me compromising cycle time for ease of transport is the way I go. Plus it's cool to see how much power you can get out of the smallest package:D

@wannaburn: what host is that? That's awesome!!!

daguin

Wow, that is small!

What was the output and duty cycle?

:crackup: That is an amazing (for the time) 120mW 405nm laser

We were still getting out PHR diodes from XBOX 360 HD-DVD drives at the time
I made the heat sink / nose cone by drilling a hole into a piece of aluminum and then "spinning" it with a drill motor against a file :crackup:

I'm not sure what its "duty cycle" was/is

I rarely try to burn a hand-held pointer longer than about 60 seconds
It is usually shorter than that
There is too much chance that it will end up pointed in a direction than I did not intend
If I want/need continuous duty, I use a TEC cooled lab-style laser

My daddy was a machinist
He taught me to use the right tool for the job

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Benm

I wouldn't call it a trend per se - its more of a design choice that you appreciate or not.

Personally i think any device that cannot run forever due to heatsinking issues is ill designed. Up to a few 100 mW of red or 405 it really wanst much of a problem to use a host that would fit the pocket and still cool the laser for a long time.

The 445s definitely changed this though - it has really become a choice between easily portable and continous run.

JLSE

I wouldn't call it a trend per se - its more of a design choice that you appreciate or not.

Personally i think any device that cannot run forever due to heatsinking issues is ill designed. Up to a few 100 mW of red or 405 it really wanst much of a problem to use a host that would fit the pocket and still cool the laser for a long time.

The 445s definitely changed this though - it has really become a choice between easily portable and continous run.

But with the 445's we now see more variable outputs like using the 3 mode boards where
you can have your cake and eat it too :bday:

On the b24 builds I did, you have 250-300mW with an unlimited run time, and only
have to worry about heat when running full out..

There was a "senior moment" for you
I'll get the post fixed
Thanks

Peace,
dave

I think it was so long ago, its an easy one to forget. I still cant remember which
member it was who stumbled on the 100mW + outputs of the PHR's while most of
us were still using PS3 sleds at 30mW average :thinking:

But with the 445's we now see more variable outputs like using the 3 mode boards where you can have your cake and eat it too

OK, so this suddenly got interesting ;)

Where can I find out more about 3 mode boards - is it possible to have a 'safe' 5mW and then 2 other power levels that are user defined at the design stage?