Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi New member introduction

j2k

Hi guys, I've been poking around reading for a few weeks and decided to go ahead and join the madness around here. There is an overwhelming amount of information on this site so it's taking me some time to sort though the topics and issues that I can digest. I've been interested in lasers since I was a kid, my dad bought me a Heathkit HeNe laser to build one summer (1986ish maybe) when I was about 12 and was fascinated by the experience. Anyway, fast forward to now, I am just reconnecting with some of that interest and enthusiasm for lasers.

I am trying to take my time and educate myself on as much as I can prior to jumping into purchasing anything that is potentially hazardous. I have picked up a pair of the eagle pair od5 glasses and have purchased a 520nm 50mw hand held from laserbtb. I read good reviews on both these items and their suppliers. I hope by starting out slow on power and high on the safety side I can ease my way into the hobby without regrets or accidents.

I'll try to chime in on topics that I can chime in on but being new to the hobby as you can imagine I will have limited input on things. Plus I am more of a reader than poster on forums.

j2k

I

Let me be the first to extend a welcome and a suggestion too.
Place your location in your personal profile- That is the only way it will appear under your username and this will save many form having to keep asking.. Who knows ? you may have a vet member living very close- making help easier (in person) and anytime you may want a laser metered any member with a LPM wil do that for you. ( A LPF tradition-- and one member was nice enough to make a LPM owning member map-- good to see you are giving serious thought into eye safety- for that I will give you a +5 rep bump but will wait to see if you add your lacation.. (incentive)

hak

Last edited:

j2k

Thanks for the welcome, the +5 and the suggestion on the location. I do recall reading that, now that you point it out, that location is a commonly requested item for new members to add to their profile. Done.

ru124t

Welcome to the madness and addiction that is all things lasers!

j2k

Quick question on focusing lasers with my glasses on. Hmm not easy is one way to put it. I bought the Eagle Pair OD5 glasses in an attempt to be safe, but maybe I over did it? As mentioned in my initial post, I have a 520nm 50mw from Laserbtb and I don't see anything but the dot through them. So I am not sure how to work with focusing my laser.

I have looked but was unable to really get a good feel for which glasses I should have for that laser? Also of interest to me, is does the 520nm put off infrared light at a wavelength I am not covered with from those glasses? They cover 190-540nm & 800-1700nm wavelengths, do I need to look for something else? I was hoping to get glasses that would work for a 445nm laser as well, but am worried about that wavelength after looking around in the '445nm Lasers' forum. I am seeing members saying to get OEM glasses over there or for the ones that do use the Eagle Pair, they went with the OD4 model.

You have these?

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-1700nm OD5 Laser Safety Goggles

these will work with ANY handheld laser that is not yellow, orange, or red basically

OD 5 may be overkill for some lower powers. my safety glasses for red wavelengths work too well, I can't even see the dot of a 1W 638 unless I am point blank, though I guess it does not help that it is not so much a dot as a line, oh well

520 lasers are not DPSS and as such, only emit 520nm light, well, 520nm and within a few nm of 520 I suppose. even if it did, your glasses protect against IR light, you can use them with many DPSS lasers, just not 589nm, 594nm, or 671nm DPSS lasers. 473 and 532, you are ok

you are not supposed to see anything but a much dimmer dot with safety glasses. this is how you are protected while looking at stuff you are burning, much like welding, but wavelength specific

Last edited:

j2k

Correct, I have those. OK good to know about the IR light not being an issue with 520nm or with my glasses. So DPSS lasers commonly give off IR light? is that correct?

On 445nm, do I need to be concerned with any IR light there? I was thinking of getting either the 500mw or maybe the 1000mw Portable from Laserbtb at some point down the road but was not sure where the limits of the Eagle Pair is? 1W, 2W? I honestly don't know if I will go to 1W really, I am thinking of staying at 500mw when I do get a 445nm.

try 10. those eagle pair could work with a 10W 445nm laser. I personally love power, the more the better.

when it comes to blue lasers, I would get either a jetlasers PL-E pro 2W, (they come in lower powers too) these are awesome. they can use AC input and can be purchased with a beam expander, a very cool thing to have

1000mW PL-E Pro 445nm blue Laser

or a rick trent build

Blue Venom | Most Powerful Lasers

DOOD!!

you are only an hour away- see- its good that you added your 10-20 - +_5 coming your way--

'Kap' (in Spring) has replied and he is a fine member and has super professional skillz on the camera.
I meet up with him when i make a trip to visit AixiZ Laser near Pearland-

Also in Houston is: Displaser(Greg) & DJ Mike-& JD3 & in Sealy is Pierre-
and another 50+ members in other parts of TX. Sending you a link to our group where you can follow( by subcribing) ANY upcoming events (like LEMs) and add your name to our Member map (ran by Gadget (Dallas) )-- there may be a laser-rave gathering some from here will try to attend in Dallas April 11/12th - so a carpool may happen so we can make that event and save $$--

as Shaken sez-- JETLASERS are among the best choices and i have two 445 blues I can show you in person-- one is 1100mw and the other is 2w+ both like new with full warranty-- I have been doing the GBs for JL ( 8 so far) and that is how I got these so you will be getting the best prices-- and free in-hand delivery!!

sending you some links-- and a +5 to help your rep a little-- Len

Last edited:

j2k

Very cool. I did not realize so many were from this area. I am in the Jersey Village area now but I grew up in Spring, Tx area so Kap may have more than Lasers in common. I will look for the link to subscribe to the Houston related events and gatherings. Reading this stuff online and learning through video is great but to have the opportunity to see some different lasers in person before I purchase one would be even better! I don't really have a sense of what a 500mw vs a 1W vs a 2W beam looks like, pictures and video don't have the same feel as being there to see for yourself, so thanks for the offer. Let me know if you are coming into Houston anytime soon so I can check those out.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

j2k